#1611  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:13 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I know what I wrote.

I'm not some edgy teen who casually drops "kys" in chat for lols a hundred times a day. The above is literally the first time I have typed or uttered those words in the imperative tense in my lifetime, and I'm coming up on a few months shy of a half-century.

The goons in the linked video earned my ire.
If there is anyone who doesn't have the right to lecture you, it's me, but while I think they are deserving of a quick kick in the butt, self-immolation isn't what we should be asking for. Perhaps a return to a time when parents required that their children acted in a reasonably decent manner?

BTW - I got to the second swear word and shut it off. Swearing is a tool. If it's the only one you have in your entertainment abilities, you're not as entertaining as you think. The whole, "Hey look at the hot babe," thing is why I no longer watch the chats on live broadcasts. Too many boys lusting after Catrina and others. And they wonder why they can't get dates...
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1612  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:25 PM
Nova P's Avatar
Nova P Nova P is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Courses Played: 73
Posts: 577
Niced 1,244 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
If there is anyone who doesn't have the right to lecture you, it's me, but while I think they are deserving of a quick kick in the butt, self-immolation isn't what we should be asking for. Perhaps a return to a time when parents required that their children acted in a reasonably decent manner?
I don't think the people speaking in this video are children, at least chronologically. They sound old enough to own the consequences of their actions.

And you're right, obviously, that mandatory suicide is asking too much, but I don't get the impression that they would thoughtfully read and contemplate a few hundred words which explain precisely why what they are doing is wrong, the implied sexism of their video (watch again and count how many times the players are referred to with a human word like "women" or "ladies" and how many times they are referred to with dehumanizing words like "dogs," "bitches," or the like), and how their video contributes nothing and makes the world a worse place-- so short of being able to punch someone through the internet with my cartoon fist emerging from their display to break their noses, a blunt and shocking word of rebuke from me will have to suffice. And that's provided they are even present here to read my words of rebuke in the first place. I confess that part of my rage is the knowledge that these chuckle****s may never be even aware of the damage they are doing to civilization by behaving the way they do, because they are insulated behind the semi-anonymous layer of a YouTube user name and account.

I would like to see how these men behaved if they were stood physically in front of the four players in the video and asked to defend their work. I get the impression that they would be much less brave.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Nova P; 07-31-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1613  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Nova P's Avatar
Nova P Nova P is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Courses Played: 73
Posts: 577
Niced 1,244 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Update: I shot Ian a PM over on Reddit, and he was not yet aware of this video. He's going to look into it after work tonight.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1614  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:45 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I don't think the people speaking in this video are children, at least chronologically. They sound old enough to own the consequences of their actions.

And you're right, obviously, that mandatory suicide is asking too much, but I don't get the impression that they would thoughtfully read and contemplate a few hundred words which explain precisely why what they are doing is wrong, the implied sexism of their video (watch again and count how many times the players are referred to with a human word like "women" or "ladies" and how many times they are referred to with dehumanizing words like "dogs," "bitches," or the like), and how their video contributes nothing and makes the world a worse place-- so short of being able to punch someone through the internet with my cartoon fist emerging from their display to break their noses, a blunt and shocking word of rebuke from me will have to suffice. And that's provided they are even present here to read my words of rebuke in the first place. I confess that part of my rage is the knowledge that these chuckle****s may never be even aware of the damage they are doing to civilization by behaving the way they do, because they are insulated behind the semi-anonymous layer of a YouTube user name and account.

I would like to see how these men behaved if they were stood physically in front of the four players in the video and asked to defend their work. I get the impression that they would be much less brave.

Much better, thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #1615  
Old 07-31-2019, 04:52 PM
Nova P's Avatar
Nova P Nova P is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Courses Played: 73
Posts: 577
Niced 1,244 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Don't get me wrong, I still would prefer if the intangible damage these morons were doing could somehow be collected up in one place, made tangible, and used to bludgeon them. Being this cruel and stupid should hurt.

Further update: Ian continues to send me short update PMs as he watches little bits of the video. He is neither pleased nor amused. Not in the slightest.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #1616  
Old 07-31-2019, 05:23 PM
jvphobic jvphobic is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 961
Niced 1,801 Times in 431 Posts
Default

I reported the video as well for copy write infringement. I hope that Ian does the same. Ugggh.

Reply With Quote
  #1617  
Old 07-31-2019, 05:25 PM
Nova P's Avatar
Nova P Nova P is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Courses Played: 73
Posts: 577
Niced 1,244 Times in 299 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I reported the video as well for copy write infringement. I hope that Ian does the same. Ugggh.
Yeah, I'm no lawyer (heck, I'm not even well-read in bird law), but I suspect that taking an entire half-hour video and just laying a new audio track over it is not protected by the "fair use" doctrine.
Reply With Quote
  #1618  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,071
Niced 3,949 Times in 1,671 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Yeah, I'm no lawyer (heck, I'm not even well-read in bird law), but I suspect that taking an entire half-hour video and just laying a new audio track over it is not protected by the "fair use" doctrine.
It’s been awhile since Media Law for me but “parody” isn’t an iron clad defense for taking someone else’s content like this video does.
Reply With Quote
  #1619  
Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 PM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 515
Niced 448 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Yeah, I'm no lawyer (heck, I'm not even well-read in bird law), but I suspect that taking an entire half-hour video and just laying a new audio track over it is not protected by the "fair use" doctrine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
It’s been awhile since Media Law for me but “parody” isn’t an iron clad defense for taking someone else’s content like this video does.
Intellectual property was one of my concentrations in law school. Fair use is one of those doctrines where there is a lot of gray area. A lot of people read about the factors and try to analyze whatever case/situation they are talking about. Many times people are just plain wrong. For example, I've had "artists" argue with me that a painted copy of another piece is a "parody" and thus fair use.

In any case, an academic argument and actual practice are two separate things.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1620  
Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 PM
Royalhghnss's Avatar
Royalhghnss Royalhghnss is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Courses Played: 51
Posts: 1,212
Niced 1,592 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Have you seen this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U139mpuUS7g

Hopefully CCDG didn't give them permission to use the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Now I have and the first 10 seconds was all I needed to hope they did not get permission to use that footage.
Honestly a little bummed you guys even possibly think I would ever give this the ok.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I reported the video as well for copy write infringement. I hope that Ian does the same. Ugggh.
TY! I did as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Intellectual property was one of my concentrations in law school. Fair use is one of those doctrines where there is a lot of gray area. A lot of people read about the factors and try to analyze whatever case/situation they are talking about. Many times people are just plain wrong. For example, I've had "artists" argue with me that a painted copy of another piece is a "parody" and thus fair use.

In any case, an academic argument and actual practice are two separate things.
Like a good lawyer you say a lot, but answer no questions haha. Is this fair use? In your opinion obviously, you're not my lawyer disclaimer.

Thank you Nova for the heads up!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA Central Coast Camping discgolfaholic Vacations & Road Trips 7 04-16-2015 01:57 PM
Central Coast Disc Golf's Paul McBeth Video "Ask Me Anything" Aim For The Chains General Disc Golf Chat 126 02-21-2015 01:49 AM
Awesome Disc Golf Vids MurderMike41370 General Disc Golf Chat 95 12-26-2010 10:17 PM
Disc Golf Vids tennessee General Disc Golf Chat 59 05-30-2010 06:25 AM
Best Disc Golf Vids Online? tomjulio General Disc Golf Chat 49 07-17-2009 02:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.