Old 08-01-2019, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,620 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Being funny is one thing, but these guys were attacking the ladies personally about their looks, etc. Disc golf is still a very small social circle where personal attacks can hit their marks fairly quickly.
Agree...but, I am not defending the action. This kind of vomit is more commonplace in social media and the interwebz, than civil, intelligent forms of communication. In fact, despite the sad nature of the video, there is FAR worse. To be outraged or surprised is fruitless. Most of the world has simply become numb and ambivalent. It is the new social norm.....again, sad.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Agree...but, I am not defending the action. This kind of vomit is more commonplace in social media and the interwebz, than civil, intelligent forms of communication.
The mode of communication does not have an inherent un-intelligent aspect to it. Treating the interwebz and social media as places for lower communication and not holding people to the same standards that you do for other forms of communication opens the door for people to act like they do.
Quote:
In fact, despite the sad nature of the video, there is FAR worse. To be outraged or surprised is fruitless. Most of the world has simply become numb and ambivalent. It is the new social norm.....again, sad.
This mode of communication is not going away. If anything it is going to be even more pervasive moving forward. And you're over here shaming people by calling them silly for being upset over this. Doing so: you're playing an active role in encouraging that numbness/ambivalence.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,382 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Agree...but, I am not defending the action. This kind of vomit is more commonplace in social media and the interwebz, than civil, intelligent forms of communication. In fact, despite the sad nature of the video, there is FAR worse. To be outraged or surprised is fruitless. Most of the world has simply become numb and ambivalent. It is the new social norm.....again, sad.

Thanks for the lecture, professor.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,620 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
The mode of communication does not have an inherent un-intelligent aspect to it. Treating the interwebz and social media as places for lower communication and not holding people to the same standards that you do for other forms of communication opens the door for people to act like they do.

This mode of communication is not going away. If anything it is going to be even more pervasive moving forward. And you're over here shaming people by calling them silly for being upset over this. Doing so: you're playing an active role in encouraging that numbness/ambivalence.
I have to respectfully disagree. I am simply trying to be pragmatic. I DO believe the anonymity afforded to users of social media, does inherently open the door for a lower form of communication. Calling those rallying against such inappropriate behavior silly, was a poor choice in words. Their fight, while futile (IMO), is just. I agree that this platform is not going away, but neither is the ability to say and promote whatever one wishes. I just do not think it is a battle worth fighting. By that, I mean trying to amend the behavior of users who wish to promote hate and degrade people behind a fake screen name.

All it takes for evil to triumph, is the choice of one man to do nothing. Maybe I should abide by this idea a little more. But, I don't think my voice carries any more weight that those I am shouting out against.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts

I want all the content creators to report these guys. Not because I'm offended, but because this is some of the most unfunny content I have ever watched. A couple of Chads dropping F-bombs like a 7th grade locker room. It's sort of an ironic, unintentional parody of a parody. These guys represent the token tools that we luckily don't see a whole lot of in our cool little culture.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. I am simply trying to be pragmatic. I DO believe the anonymity afforded to users of social media, does inherently open the door for a lower form of communication. Calling those rallying against such inappropriate behavior silly, was a poor choice in words. Their fight, while futile (IMO), is just. I agree that this platform is not going away, but neither is the ability to say and promote whatever one wishes. I just do not think it is a battle worth fighting. By that, I mean trying to amend the behavior of users who wish to promote hate and degrade people behind a fake screen name.

All it takes for evil to triumph, is the choice of one man to do nothing. Maybe I should abide by this idea a little more. But, I don't think my voice carries any more weight that those I am shouting out against.
It does not, but your voice carries as much weight as one of those you're shouting out against. No one person engaging in the 'sad' behavior is more powerful than you. Its about the numbers in the end - but it hurts the numbers every time we hear someone espousing the view that it is 'futile.' As for the general anonymity of the internet - you're not wrong, its hard to fight against cowards who troll from anonymity - all the more reason to maintain pressure, identify the things they enjoy doing, and learn to quell them or at least make it less enjoyable for them through some manner of subversion (quiet or otherwise).

Maybe I'm not very pragmatic.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I want all the content creators to report these guys. Not because I'm offended, but because this is some of the most unfunny content I have ever watched. A couple of Chads dropping F-bombs like a 7th grade locker room. It's sort of an ironic, unintentional parody of a parody. These guys represent the token tools that we luckily don't see a whole lot of in our cool little culture.
Lot of okay dudes named Chad out there. While there are a lot of derogatory terms for these guys - ****heads fits well (insert your choice of F or S there) - I've never liked this new (?) habit of using peoples' names to attack folk.

https://tinyurl.com/y523hxux - Lot of pretty cool people in this search, I'm sure.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Lot of okay dudes named Chad out there. While there are a lot of derogatory terms for these guys - ****heads fits well (insert your choice of F or S there) - I've never liked this new (?) habit of using peoples' names to attack folk.

https://tinyurl.com/y523hxux - Lot of pretty cool people in this search, I'm sure.
Of course there are. My bad on that. What's funny though, is I've only known a few Chads, and they all sucked. Just sayin.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Of course there are. My bad on that. What's funny though, is I've only known a few Chads, and they all sucked. Just sayin.
Just gotta meet a few more. I've met some Chads that were asses as well... a guy I was once friends with who sexually assaulted a girl... but I can also name pool shooters and disc golfers that are really good people... (and many more I've got no opinion on at all)

Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,382 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Just gotta meet a few more. I've met some Chads that were asses as well... a guy I was once friends with who sexually assaulted a girl... but I can also name pool shooters and disc golfers that are really good people... (and many more I've got no opinion on at all)
^ more of a hanging chad than a Chad kind of guy