Old 07-31-2019, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
One thing that could be fairer with the current Pro Worlds format experiment is to play 9 holes on each course in the semi final round. Consider that the two courses at Smuggler's were quite different and this will be the case at Peoria. Presuming some players play better on one type of course than the other, doesn't it make sense to keep things balanced 50/50 in the semi round after they've played the two different courses twice to get there?
Which one is the semi-final round?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
One thing that could be fairer with the current Pro Worlds format experiment is to play 9 holes on each course in the semi final round. Consider that the two courses at Smuggler's were quite different and this will be the case at Peoria. Presuming some players play better on one type of course than the other, doesn't it make sense to keep things balanced 50/50 in the semi round after they've played the two different courses twice to get there?
Yes some courses suit players better then others but there's many variables to why that is and IMO just slicing two courses isn't going to bring more balance. You could be taking away the two nines from courses that favor X player while giving Y player the two nines that favor his game. Also I don't think it matters too much about courses with the top level players.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:33 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,548 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Which one is the semi-final round?
I missed the edit window remembering last round is now Final.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 580 Times in 426 Posts

Paul will win everything for the rest of time and in the future when Disc Golf surpasses all other sports Comparing Paul McBeth to Jordan or Brady will be a joke because Paul will then be President and will expand the US territories to Haiti, Cuba, and Australia....sorry mate, ya'll are 'Murican's now

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 6
Niced 494 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Paul will win everything for the rest of time and in the future when Disc Golf surpasses all other sports Comparing Paul McBeth to Jordan or Brady will be a joke because Paul will then be President and will expand the US territories to Haiti, Cuba, and Australia....sorry mate, ya'll are 'Murican's now
That escalated quickly....

Niced: (3)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 349
Niced 13 Times in 5 Posts

I was talking about this the other day with a buddy. Clear favorites are Paul vs Ricky. Kevin Jones has some momentum rolling and has the skills to tame both courses.

I'll take the field if I was laying down my $.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts

i think we'll see the lead card featuring Paul, Ricky, Kevin, and James Conrad most rounds. i don't think either of the crush boys has what it takes yet to finish Worlds on top. i'm curious to see if players like Heimburg, Dickerson, and Seppo can stick around near the top of the leaderboard.

i usually root for underdogs and i would love to see Simon win a Worlds but i think i'd have to put money on Paul. i think Kevin Jones is his biggest threat.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Something to chew on, Paul, has traditionally, in events with more than three rounds, had a down round. If Kevin plays consistently round to round and Paul does that, Kevin has a shot. Consistency will be the key IMO. Also, Paul's strength is transitioning from open to tight. These More open courses may give Kevin an advantage. Ricky likes them too.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Something to chew on, Paul, has traditionally, in events with more than three rounds, had a down round. If Kevin plays consistently round to round and Paul does that, Kevin has a shot. Consistency will be the key IMO. Also, Paul's strength is transitioning from open to tight. These More open courses may give Kevin an advantage. Ricky likes them too.
For what it's worth, McBeth just won a tournament going away on one of the courses being used at Worlds, and the other is supposedly more wooded. So I don't think there's much of an advantage to be had over him from an open course, at least not this year.

Though you do make a good point about McBeth sprinkling in an off-round. At Worlds last year, among the players that finished top 5, he was the only one to shoot a round above 59. He was also only one of two to shoot a sub-50 round (Ulibarri was the other). So five consistently good rounds is what it took to beat him...just barely.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

So I'm with VictorB, and many others that think Worlds is too important to scale down to 4 or 5 rounds.
I have seen three or four things discussed as a reason to scale back the number of rounds:
1. The players want it. It's hard playing 6+ rounds (especially 2-a-days), especially in the summer heat.
2. Fewer rounds makes it easier/cheaper on the Host and thus adds bid choices for the PDGA. (This one actually is the strongest argument, IMHO).
3. Overall, fewer rounds makes it easier on the PDGA (see above).
There may be other reasons as well.

But here's my question:
Is the PDGA's main purpose to "run the event" or "find the best player this year"?
It has become abundantly clear that "running the event" has become the dominant purpose.
If our purpose is to "find the best player of 2019", then you have to play 6 or more rounds.

Niced: (1)