Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 738 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InWaves View Post
Try a comet once and stick with it and learn it until its your favorite disc in your bag
Not Necessarily, the disc having the rim it does can put some people not me out on ever trying the mold.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 46 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Not Necessarily, the disc having the rim it does can put some people not me out on ever trying the mold.
I wonder if hand size has anything to do with the bead vs no bead thing. It makes no difference at all to me, even for forehands.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midairmatthew View Post
I wonder if hand size has anything to do with the bead vs no bead thing. It makes no difference at all to me, even for forehands.
I can use a Comet and I have small hands forehand is a bit odd but then again small hands and I stink as foerhand, the ROC I can't use but somehow the Wasp I can use. The problem is more due to how the ROC has that extra dump and drop as soon as it is visible that the disc is loosing spin speed in the end flight as well as a rim nose that is not comfortable on the ROC being more tapered as the Wasp has more rounded nose.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 28 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
What brand?
Lightning. Today it is #3 Flyer.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:21 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 102 Times in 72 Posts

Teebird
Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 158 Times in 110 Posts

Surprised no one said FD. Such a fantastic fairway driver. Perfect mix of glide, workability, and stability.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.A.T.u View Post
Lightning. Today it is #3 Flyer.
Thanks.

Now I am surprised nobody has said a #2 Upshot or Colt. If one is needing a disc that is lower profile putter for some reason but is not wanting the OS low profile putter that is more common in molds then a #2 Upshot or Colt is what one is looking for as the mold is something they could use for having a driver marked disc with a D on top and a separate disc for putting as these mold types for those discs work well for both driving/putting.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I'm going with Leopard, and in Pro

but nowadays there are so many options for any type of disc. Other options would be Star Teebird, X or Z Comet, any Zone, Champ Firebird, Z Buzzz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
You can't tell me what to do.

Roc for one lifespan
Zone
Leopard in Pro - I don't like the mold, but it's too good not to be included
If you don't mind, school me on the Pro Leopard. I've only thrown a DX when first learning and was fun until it was too beat in...

I really like flippy stuff. I throw a Neutron Relay fair amount right now. I'm picturing Pro Leopard to be a little less stable than that and more glidey (not that the Relay can't boom). But these just assumptions and may not be comparable.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
If you don't mind, school me on the Pro Leopard. I've only thrown a DX when first learning and was fun until it was too beat in...

I really like flippy stuff. I throw a Neutron Relay fair amount right now. I'm picturing Pro Leopard to be a little less stable than that and more glidey (not that the Relay can't boom). But these just assumptions and may not be comparable.
This is my opinion on the Pro Leopard

The Pro Leopard is closer to DX while wearing much slower. It will be a little less touchy to form flaws but will still glide in ways that the more premium blends won't. It really is the perfect disc to complement Comets because it will expose nose angle issues when the Comet will power through them.

In terms of comparing it to the Relay, I have only thrown one Relay (a Circuit stamp), but it flipped a lot easier to flat but locked in flat and didn't move off its line. The Pro Leopard will be less prone to flip, but once it gets there, it's not going to stop suddenly at flat like my Relay did. Despite all that, it's still amazingly controllable and predictable. Great mold whether I can adjust to the notch in the wing or not.

Niced: (3)

Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This is my opinion on the Pro Leopard

The Pro Leopard is closer to DX while wearing much slower. It will be a little less touchy to form flaws but will still glide in ways that the more premium blends won't. It really is the perfect disc to complement Comets because it will expose nose angle issues when the Comet will power through them.

In terms of comparing it to the Relay, I have only thrown one Relay (a Circuit stamp), but it flipped a lot easier to flat but locked in flat and didn't move off its line. The Pro Leopard will be less prone to flip, but once it gets there, it's not going to stop suddenly at flat like my Relay did. Despite all that, it's still amazingly controllable and predictable. Great mold whether I can adjust to the notch in the wing or not.
I agree having used an older DX Leopard in 2004. Once the mold is worn in from a pro plastic on down, the disc goes from a straight disc flight to a S shot disc. A beat in Leopard is more for open tree holes that you need to weave in and out of trees if one knows how to do the S shot. Eventually I could do this shot with a Valkyrie in Champion and did not need a Leopard and when I started using the Impact thanks to the 2007 Ace race, I was using it for what I used the older mold of Leopard for when newer straight tunnel shots without needing to do the mini hyzer flip to flat as well as other uses like the odd distance between a fairway disc and a midrange.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.