Old 08-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 926 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I mean we do this for fun, and if that’s what makes someone happy I’m not going to criticize (especially because it keeps the secondhand disc market vibrant) but I certainly don’t get it, especially for rec players who 1. Probably don’t have the arm to throw half of the pros bags anyway and 2. Are more limited by their own skill than by the plastic in the bag.
I once watched an ITB from a marginal player on team trilogy. He had 3-4 molds in the 12+ speed rating and talking about the different lines and shots he could throw with each of them. The shots he threw with them were all newb hyzers less than 300'.

I assume the ITB video is part of the team trilogy hazing ritual. To be fair, I'm bagging a Spark for an OS fairway and digging it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 59
Niced 136 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I was wondering if it was similar to another putter from another brand(Aviar), or something unique.

Thrower, putter?

It sure is wildly popular.
The judge is just another in the long line of Aviar knock offs so INNOVA get some of the credit. Before Latitude 64 first hit the scene Innova was content to put out low-grade product with little innovation, if it ain’t broke why fix it approach.

Big jump here, frisbee people like counterculture so pulling for the small guy (Lat64) comes naturally. It didn’t hurt that DD hit the road with awesome Lava and colorshift plastic and IMO an excellent putter plastic in Classic Hard. Boom, direct access to addicted noob$

Edit: I bag two first run judges and they still fly straight to Under stable

Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 286 Times in 190 Posts

It will also vary a lot regionally. The NoVa club has a player sponsored by Lat64 and those discs will kind of trickle out into the surrounding club, either directly or just through association, recommendation, watching him have success with them.

Then about an hour or so West, the Apple Valley club has a couple people sponsored by Prodigy and that translates to a proliferation of Prodigy within that club. That's the case for me when I was looking for an OS driver, I could go and buy a bunch to test out, or I can trade 1 disc to a Pro for 4 D1's and be set for that slot.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,146 Times in 1,580 Posts

I think some of the reasons have been stated, and stated well. Beyond those:

Trilogy made (and makes) some really good molds in good plastics. Noodle arms could appreciate the higher glide of many of the Lat64 discs, and the Classic Hard plastic of putters like the Judge, Warden and Marshal.

And at the time Discraft was producing discs in pastel colors that were either ugly or the same color as the ground. Titanium is fantastic, but for a long time it only came in pine straw copper brown and grass green. And worst of all, IMHO, was the one number flight system that told almost nothing about the disc, whereas the Innova four-number flight guide was adopted by Trilogy and gave buyers relatively decent information.

But more recently... Discraft now has the four-number system, and Paul McBeth. They are making discs in a variety of weights, and have DEFINITELY improved in the colors. Meanwhile, Trilogy went to that crap Burst plastic, and was charging $2-3 more per disc for that ugly stuff (Yes, prices have come down, but at first they were trying to charge a boatload more money for the Burst). It's HARD to find a lot of Trilogy discs in stock at all, and definitely hard to get in the plastics, weights and colors one wants. And beyond that, Trilogy, especially Dynamic Discs, seems tone deaf to what their customers wanted and want.

And we haven't even gotten to 'Disc Golf is love, Disc Golf is life'....
Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 820 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
The judge is just another in the long line of Aviar knock offs so INNOVA get some of the credit.
Dude, this isn't even close to true. Do you people even look at disc profiles before posting?

Niced: (2)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 207 Times in 101 Posts

I still only put with a Judge. And I have been on at least two to three cards this year that where exclusively Judge putters cards. Lot of people are still putting with Judges.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 413 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
And beyond that, Trilogy, especially Dynamic Discs, seems tone deaf to what their customers wanted and want.
I still feel that Discraft is the worst at listening to customers but that's just me. Pro-D/X/ESP/Ti Wasp? ESP/Ti Stalker? I know all have been produced before, but are currently OOP with the ESP Stalker only being in black IIRC. I know both probably don't sell as well as the leaders (Buzzz and Undertaker) in the categories, but maybe that's due to the lack of plastic options. Innova was (and still is) guilty of this as well. Champ BB Aviar? Firebird3? Flat Pro Rhyno? Pro fairway drivers? DX Roadrunner? The list goes on and on.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,146 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I still feel that Discraft is the worst at listening to customers but that's just me. Pro-D/X/ESP/Ti Wasp? ESP/Ti Stalker? I know all have been produced before, but are currently OOP with the ESP Stalker only being in black IIRC. I know both probably don't sell as well as the leaders (Buzzz and Undertaker) in the categories, but maybe that's due to the lack of plastic options. Innova was (and still is) guilty of this as well. Champ BB Aviar? Firebird3? Flat Pro Rhyno? Pro fairway drivers? DX Roadrunner? The list goes on and on.
I agree, and there are examples for any of the companies. Flip side of that: I don't expect them to be able to cater to every whim, of course. My point was that Discraft has gotten better at the basics, while Dynamic Discs has gotten worse, and IMHO is one of the many reasons for the dirextion both companies are now headed in.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 252 Times in 164 Posts

Looking at Infinites top sellers for 2019, the Judge was #10 overall. It is also on GGCs top sellers list at the moment.

This is one of the most popular putters out there, and seems to have been for years.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,244 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
One thing Discraft has always done is gone by sales. If they run a disc and people buy it, they make more. If they make a disc and nobody buys it, it goes away no matter how good it is or how much sense it makes in their lineup. They only have so much production capacity and they don't waste time making discs if they don't sell. Because we don't have the sales numbers, all we know when X Predators go OOP was that they were great. We don't know that they didn't sell. So we whine for them to make more and they don't because they know nobody is going to buy them. Then we say they are not listening to us. I'm sure they would love to make all their molds in all their plastics, they just can't. I mean, not and stay in business.