Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,950 Times in 1,672 Posts

Smigles watching his cardmates feet on every shot:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 01:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 551 Times in 295 Posts

It looked like the disc was too close to the pole to mark with a mini. In that case, is there a way to legally put the same disc in? Could you take an unplayable lie mark directly back in that situation?
Old 08-13-2019, 03:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,950 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
It looked like the disc was too close to the pole to mark with a mini. In that case, is there a way to legally put the same disc in? Could you take an unplayable lie mark directly back in that situation?
I think there should be a gimme rule.

"If the disc is in contact with the basket, but not considered holed out..." or something like that. You're a lawyer, fancy it up for us.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 472 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
I am always bewildered how people can seemingly randomly pick some rules they follow and some rules they dont.

A lot like religion, pick and choose.

Anybody NOT calling any rule violations is part of the problem, not the solution. You are referee whenever you are not throwing and it is your duty as player. It's even written in the definition of Courtesy in the pdga rules.

"812 Courtesy

A player must:

Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs."

So by not calling a rule infraction you are yourself breaking rules. Well done, well done.
By the current rules the rest of the card committed a courtesy violation as they all had turned and walked away not watching the "throw" or mark.

Still wondering why Casey gets lambasted for being Casey and quoting old rules when the wording that would have made this mark clearly an infraction has been removed from the rules.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 47 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post

Anybody NOT calling any rule violations is part of the problem, not the solution.
What problem?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 472 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
What problem?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-15-2019, 03:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 72 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
By the current rules the rest of the card committed a courtesy violation as they all had turned and walked away not watching the "throw" or mark.
Yeah but according to like half of the people in this thread, courtasy violations dont count if they or their buddies do them.

Heck, next time i ll pick which rules to follow too. nobody says that i can't mark a little closer to the basket than i should, right? i like 10 meter putts turning into gimmies.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,224 Times in 2,241 Posts

Rico did pretty much the same thing on hole 11 of Dynamics 2nd round coverage of Worlds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLvhMsa3--o
Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
You can theoretically play with one disc and a marker if you want. So if my card mates were complete dicks and wouldn't let me borrow a disc to tap out I'd have to know how to mark this.
This is a fun topic. If the thrown disc were an inch away from the pole, then you could easily mark the lie without having to move the thrown disc, by placing a mini marker disc between the thrown disc and the pole, so that it touched the front edge of the thrown disc and leaned on the pole. But if the thrown disc were laying on the playing surface touching the pole, then it would be impossible to mark the lie with a mini marker disc without first moving the thrown disc.

However, in this kind of a situation 810.E.2 might have relevance, as it seems to allow moving the thrown disc if necessary:
Quote:
A player who intentionally interferes with a disc in any of the following ways receives two penalty throws: [...] Moving or obscuring a thrown disc or marker disc (other than in the process of identification, retrieval, marking, or as allowed by 810.H).
So, according to my interpretation, in this case it would be fine to move the thrown disc back just enough to make room for the mini marker disc. Therefore Locastro did not commit a marking violation. (Does this seem plausible enough?)

Another thing I was wondering about: would it even be legal to make a throw with another player's disc?

Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnttiM View Post
Another thing I was wondering about: would it even be legal to make a throw with another player's disc?
Short Answer: Yes.
Longer Answer: Which rule would you be breaking, if you did? Assuming you get permission to borrow the disc, there isn't any, so go right ahead.