Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 511 Times in 328 Posts

Can't find any flat rhynos. I made one.

Bought a basic champion plastic rhyno with a decent dome. Placed it upside down and filled to the brim with sub-boiling water. Placed a flat lid over the top which makes a seal around the rim. Put in the fridge overnight.

You end up with a puddle top which mellows to flat. Not PDGA legal by any stretch but it's not like there's a test for whether it came from the factory that way.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-31-2019, 09:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Can't find any flat rhynos. I made one.

Bought a basic champion plastic rhyno with a decent dome. Placed it upside down and filled to the brim with sub-boiling water. Placed a flat lid over the top which makes a seal around the rim. Put in the fridge overnight.

You end up with a puddle top which mellows to flat. Not PDGA legal by any stretch but it's not like there's a test for whether it came from the factory that way.
No there is not, I had to do the hot water method to a putter to work out the opps indent spot the disc had, slightly still there just not as bad but the slightly floppy disc got a tad more floppy and might become an uphill/downhill putter in the future as the #2 Upshot in Prostyle I have currently for that slot is getting a tad US where as before it since late 2004 the disc was neutral flight. This disc will make bag a little bit easier to use since that mildly floppy disc is the mold for the putters I use.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:57 AM

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 8 Times in 2 Posts

Around 6 years ago I got a champ Rhyno on a whim since I was in Sioux Falls where it's always windy. I think I threw a couple powered down approaches, thought it was okay, and then essentially forgot about it.

Recently my putting has been somehow worse than usual and after a bad day in the wind with my Pure I decided today would be Rhyno putting day. Naturally I tee off with it on a couple holes and wow do I regret not giving this thing a chance before.

Its praises have been sung in this thread already but I love the line this disc takes when you drive with it. Dead straight and then it veers left until it hits the dirt. No dumpy fade, just forward. Excellent for the wooded holes on the back nine of my home course.

Putting went pretty well too I'm for sure grabbing a DX at gggt tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 8 Times in 2 Posts

I think I didn't use it before since it wasn't sexy when I threw it in the field. On the course it was a total smokeshow
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 805 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammonwheat View Post
...I'm for sure grabbing a DX at gggt tomorrow.
DX is my personal fav. Workably overstable, good grip, cheap, etc. I'll still carry a Champ for the really overstable stuff... but the DX gets more of my love.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a cglow Rhyno that's my goto upshot disc. Has a slight dome and sometimes has surprising glide. Slightly beat in so can push it straight with a decent but not dumping fade. Switch to a Ti Zone when I need a heftier fade
Old 08-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno. I've been working hard on my approach game with an Aviar for straighter shots, Dart for more distance and turnovers, and a Harp for backhands/forehands that need some fade.

I picked up a Star Rhyno on a whim after reading some things, and am trying to make an argument for adding it to my at-capacity bag for an upcoming tournament. I think I'll like it for straighter forehands, windy approaches/putts, and approaches with a ceiling. Sound about right to you?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusbomb View Post
Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno. I've been working hard on my approach game with an Aviar for straighter shots, Dart for more distance and turnovers, and a Harp for backhands/forehands that need some fade.

I picked up a Star Rhyno on a whim after reading some things, and am trying to make an argument for adding it to my at-capacity bag for an upcoming tournament. I think I'll like it for straighter forehands, windy approaches/putts, and approaches with a ceiling. Sound about right to you?
My money shot with the Rhyno is an arcing anhyzer flick that lands soft. Also backhand straight to fade and flexing upshots 50m and in. Sometimes I think I over juice it and get some surprising extra distance.
Off the tee I like it on 60-80m shots with a lot of elevation because it doesn't want to glide.
Now I just got a Ricky pig and interested to see if and how the complete each other.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.8
Courses Played: 4
Niced 167 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno.
I throw DX Rhynos. They are the only putter I carry. For approaches and drives l like that they go only as far as you throw them. They beat to almost dead nuts straight but still fight wind. It's a great disc if you like low profile.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 217 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno.
All straight Tee shots under 220.
All fading approach shots under 150.
All forehand flicks under 100.
All putts.

R-Pro Rhynos make up about 80% of my short game now, but I will still throw a Bullfrog if I need a short Mako3 shot.

Niced: (2)