Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default question for dx roc guys.

looking into throwing these and trying to get a reference for what exactly is a flat top and cant find any good profile pictures
is the differences more noticeable than these sentinel's ?
IMG_20190826_202825926.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Neither of those are flat really. That’s like normal roc dome right there, or slightly less. Flat is flat, no dome, just flat.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Niced 284 Times in 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Neither of those are flat really. That’s like normal roc dome right there, or slightly less. Flat is flat, no dome, just flat.
Agreed, when you buy the labeled “flat top” rocs, they are so flat it’s like a different disc. Too flat in my opinion. The ones I’ve thrown are a little more squirrely in a headwind.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:18 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Agreed, when you buy the labeled “flat top” rocs, they are so flat it’s like a different disc. Too flat in my opinion. The ones I’ve thrown are a little more squirrely in a headwind.
IMO the big problem with the flat tops is they get squirrelier as they beat in so you can't cycle them; a beat flat top is a worthless turnover disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So if the flat top is wonky, would the opposite be true for the pop tops?
Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

I’ve not encountered a pop top roc. I think rocs are one or the more consistent discs. Commonly have gradual dome, as they should, and rarely do you find one that flies differently.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,944 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
IMO the big problem with the flat tops is they get squirrelier as they beat in so you can't cycle them; a beat flat top is a worthless turnover disc.
I threw them for 20 years before getting sponsored and learning the wonders of the M4. My experience was the exact opposite of this.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

I just don’t like the feel of the flat tops as much. I do think they make great turnover and hyzerflip rocs though. I find them to be very predictable.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 807 Times in 369 Posts

yes, flat top Rocs are flatter than the Sentinel photo you posted. In theory, Roc3s should be readily available flat top Rocs. In practice, Roc3s tend to have at least a slight dome. But that might be "flat enough" for your tastes. If you want flat tops because of the way they feel in your hand, you might want to consider holding a few Roc3s to see if they will work for you. James Conrad was tearing up Worlds and Iron Hill (Delaware Disc Golf Challenge) with a light purple Roc3. You can see how well it holds a turnover at his power. For the rest of us, the Roc3 will need some beating before it will turn like that. I only have one DX Roc3 and it started out noticeably less overstable than my Champs or Stars.

FWIW, I think regular Rancho Rocs with a mild dome are better all-around than flat top Rocs. But again, if it is a hand-feel thing... these might not be a viable candidate for you.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

I love the feel of flat top glow KC rocs. They start off slightly more OS than other KC and DX rocs I've tried (which might have more to do with flashing than anything else) which I like a lot. I can mash on them with a little hyzer and they just go forever and finish like a roc every time. I've never thrown a midrange further than my flat top glow KC rocs.

DX flat tops, however, I don't care for. Three Putt mentioned them getting squirrely which is definitely my experience. The one I started using showed turn after a couple rounds, but still wanted to fade. It got more turn, but still had the fade. By the time I [happily] lost it, it was my least HSS mid, but still had LSS. I'm still confused by it.

Niced: (2)