Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I’ve not encountered a pop top roc. I think rocs are one or the more consistent discs. Commonly have gradual dome, as they should, and rarely do you find one that flies differently.
You need to get a Star Rancho Roc; you'll have about a 99.99% chance of encountering a pop top Roc if you do.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Niced 283 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
The new flat Rocs that come directly from Innova extra flat and say “flat top Roc” on the sticker are definitely different from the old Ching rocs.

My old Chings feel different in hand from the normal domed ones, but the overall flight is not very different. They hold stability, and beat in very slowly and predictably. The new ones are nowhere near as predictable. I suspect the old Ching process would flatten the flight plate but didn’t affect the wing shape much. The new ones are just molded and cooled flat somehow and the rim shape is sharper with a lower PLH. They aren’t as stable or comfortable in the hand.

I used to have a handful of pop-top DX rocs, maybe 10 years ago. They were flat near the edges of the disc with a big pop top in the center like a UFO. I actually really liked the way they flew, they had the grip of a flat Roc but extra glide from the dome. They started out on the more overstable side but broke in beautifully. Really ugly though.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
The new flat Rocs that come directly from Innova extra flat and say “flat top Roc” on the sticker are definitely different from the old Ching rocs.

My old Chings feel different in hand from the normal domed ones, but the overall flight is not very different. They hold stability, and beat in very slowly and predictably. The new ones are nowhere near as predictable. I suspect the old Ching process would flatten the flight plate but didn’t affect the wing shape much. The new ones are just molded and cooled flat somehow and the rim shape is sharper with a lower PLH. They aren’t as stable or comfortable in the hand.

I used to have a handful of pop-top DX rocs, maybe 10 years ago. They were flat near the edges of the disc with a big pop top in the center like a UFO. I actually really liked the way they flew, they had the grip of a flat Roc but extra glide from the dome. They started out on the more overstable side but broke in beautifully. Really ugly though.
Modern flat tops are run through the Ching machine still. There's just no ink/dye. You have to pay extra for them because of it.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Modern flat tops are run through the Ching machine still. There's just no ink/dye. You have to pay extra for them because of it.
Wow, that’s interesting because I’ve compared them side by side and there’s a noticeable difference. Maybe just because of mold fixes/adjustments over the years.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Wow, that’s interesting because I’ve compared them side by side and there’s a noticeable difference. Maybe just because of mold fixes/adjustments over the years.
I'll admit I am making an assumption. It's an extra dollar on the order form for FT Rocs and Firebirds. I hope the dollar isn't just for ripping off their customers.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
You need to get a Star Rancho Roc; you'll have about a 99.99% chance of encountering a pop top Roc if you do.
I’m good. That doesn’t sound like anything I’d like.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I'll admit I am making an assumption. It's an extra dollar on the order form for FT Rocs and Firebirds. I hope the dollar isn't just for ripping off their customers.
They could also just be holding the discs in the mold for longer, or putting them into a special cooling rack or something. Would slow down their cycle times and push costs a little higher.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:

The modern Flat top ROC would be a ROC 3 right? Anyhow I have a KC ROC from 2009 Ice Bowl, the flat top ROC that people want since a KC plastic ROC is not as slick as the ROC 3 in the Tour series plastic.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 270 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Every one I have is. Ok, it's a sample size of like 5 but...

Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 270 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The modern Flat top ROC would be a ROC 3 right? Anyhow I have a KC ROC from 2009 Ice Bowl, the flat top ROC that people want since a KC plastic ROC is not as slick as the ROC 3 in the Tour series plastic.
Search for 'flat top kc pro roc' (or find a mcpro roc3, which isn't quite the same anyway IMO) and you'll generally find some store, Marshall st, DGU, etc that has them in stock

They're not hard to find if you look. Otherwise, yea.. I agree I prefer just beating in regular kc pros.