#21  
Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,120
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I’ve not encountered a pop top roc. I think rocs are one or the more consistent discs. Commonly have gradual dome, as they should, and rarely do you find one that flies differently.
You need to get a Star Rancho Roc; you'll have about a 99.99% chance of encountering a pop top Roc if you do.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
BuzzzChief's Avatar
BuzzzChief BuzzzChief is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: IL
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,465
Niced 283 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Have you thrown the newer flattops? Back in the day the Ching Rocs were always more overstable out of the box, but now people say they are straighter (less overstable) out of the box. I've been confused by that, but not enough to throw any to try to figure it out.

I love glide. If it wasn't for glide, none of my shots would go anywhere. Which is pretty much why I hated the flattops; I could throw my putter farther so what was the point?
The new flat Rocs that come directly from Innova extra flat and say “flat top Roc” on the sticker are definitely different from the old Ching rocs.

My old Chings feel different in hand from the normal domed ones, but the overall flight is not very different. They hold stability, and beat in very slowly and predictably. The new ones are nowhere near as predictable. I suspect the old Ching process would flatten the flight plate but didn’t affect the wing shape much. The new ones are just molded and cooled flat somehow and the rim shape is sharper with a lower PLH. They aren’t as stable or comfortable in the hand.

I used to have a handful of pop-top DX rocs, maybe 10 years ago. They were flat near the edges of the disc with a big pop top in the center like a UFO. I actually really liked the way they flew, they had the grip of a flat Roc but extra glide from the dome. They started out on the more overstable side but broke in beautifully. Really ugly though.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 16,545
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
The new flat Rocs that come directly from Innova extra flat and say “flat top Roc” on the sticker are definitely different from the old Ching rocs.

My old Chings feel different in hand from the normal domed ones, but the overall flight is not very different. They hold stability, and beat in very slowly and predictably. The new ones are nowhere near as predictable. I suspect the old Ching process would flatten the flight plate but didn’t affect the wing shape much. The new ones are just molded and cooled flat somehow and the rim shape is sharper with a lower PLH. They aren’t as stable or comfortable in the hand.

I used to have a handful of pop-top DX rocs, maybe 10 years ago. They were flat near the edges of the disc with a big pop top in the center like a UFO. I actually really liked the way they flew, they had the grip of a flat Roc but extra glide from the dome. They started out on the more overstable side but broke in beautifully. Really ugly though.
Modern flat tops are run through the Ching machine still. There's just no ink/dye. You have to pay extra for them because of it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM
BuzzzChief's Avatar
BuzzzChief BuzzzChief is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: IL
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,465
Niced 283 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Modern flat tops are run through the Ching machine still. There's just no ink/dye. You have to pay extra for them because of it.
Wow, that’s interesting because I’ve compared them side by side and there’s a noticeable difference. Maybe just because of mold fixes/adjustments over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 16,545
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Wow, that’s interesting because I’ve compared them side by side and there’s a noticeable difference. Maybe just because of mold fixes/adjustments over the years.
I'll admit I am making an assumption. It's an extra dollar on the order form for FT Rocs and Firebirds. I hope the dollar isn't just for ripping off their customers.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 PM
thirtydirtybirds thirtydirtybirds is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The cut north of the confluence, MD
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,446
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
You need to get a Star Rancho Roc; you'll have about a 99.99% chance of encountering a pop top Roc if you do.
I’m good. That doesn’t sound like anything I’d like.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 PM
BuzzzChief's Avatar
BuzzzChief BuzzzChief is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: IL
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,465
Niced 283 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I'll admit I am making an assumption. It's an extra dollar on the order form for FT Rocs and Firebirds. I hope the dollar isn't just for ripping off their customers.
They could also just be holding the discs in the mold for longer, or putting them into a special cooling rack or something. Would slow down their cycle times and push costs a little higher.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,443
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
The new flat Rocs that come directly from Innova extra flat and say “flat top Roc” on the sticker are definitely different from the old Ching rocs.

My old Chings feel different in hand from the normal domed ones, but the overall flight is not very different. They hold stability, and beat in very slowly and predictably. The new ones are nowhere near as predictable. I suspect the old Ching process would flatten the flight plate but didn’t affect the wing shape much. The new ones are just molded and cooled flat somehow and the rim shape is sharper with a lower PLH. They aren’t as stable or comfortable in the hand.

I used to have a handful of pop-top DX rocs, maybe 10 years ago. They were flat near the edges of the disc with a big pop top in the center like a UFO. I actually really liked the way they flew, they had the grip of a flat Roc but extra glide from the dome. They started out on the more overstable side but broke in beautifully. Really ugly though.
The modern Flat top ROC would be a ROC 3 right? Anyhow I have a KC ROC from 2009 Ice Bowl, the flat top ROC that people want since a KC plastic ROC is not as slick as the ROC 3 in the Tour series plastic.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM
dysmike's Avatar
dysmike dysmike is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aridzona
Courses Played: 17
Posts: 942
Niced 270 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
You need to get a Star Rancho Roc; you'll have about a 99.99% chance of encountering a pop top Roc if you do.
Every one I have is. Ok, it's a sample size of like 5 but...
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM
dysmike's Avatar
dysmike dysmike is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aridzona
Courses Played: 17
Posts: 942
Niced 270 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The modern Flat top ROC would be a ROC 3 right? Anyhow I have a KC ROC from 2009 Ice Bowl, the flat top ROC that people want since a KC plastic ROC is not as slick as the ROC 3 in the Tour series plastic.
Search for 'flat top kc pro roc' (or find a mcpro roc3, which isn't quite the same anyway IMO) and you'll generally find some store, Marshall st, DGU, etc that has them in stock

They're not hard to find if you look. Otherwise, yea.. I agree I prefer just beating in regular kc pros.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roc Question jbrown287 Discs 18 07-04-2013 02:16 AM
What are Prodigy guys throwing (WARNING! Huge pointless Buzzz/Roc debate inclusive.) discgolf4lif3 Discs 92 03-06-2013 04:44 PM
@ the guys that tried to steal my Roc... MNcyclone General Disc Golf Chat 49 08-29-2011 08:50 PM
question for the guys who made their own internal frames gkeberhart Discs 4 02-28-2011 08:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.