Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 86 Times in 56 Posts

How much does the big gallery affect the smashboxx signal?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 86 Times in 56 Posts

My likely unrealistic wish is to one day see accurate hole map overlays on the feed with all landings marked. One of the post production teams have something like this I think, but it is obviously much harder to do live. UDisc+GPS personnel for each player could get something done I guess...

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,223 Times in 2,240 Posts

There is a graphic they use for golf that would be pretty cool but also probably unrealistic for DG. The spray chart overlay for every teeshot on a hole for the entire field and then they're color coded by score.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 262 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
My likely unrealistic wish is to one day see accurate hole map overlays on the feed with all landings marked. One of the post production teams have something like this I think, but it is obviously much harder to do live. UDisc+GPS personnel for each player could get something done I guess...
Bring back the dots. (for those not familiar the USDGC used to do this before there were video cameras everywhere)

Niced: (3)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 572 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Little to none.

The simple bolded portion above is why I totally disagree. There are tons of niche, unheard of games, like disc golf, that are far more suited for viewership and far more interesting to watch.

So in that case just sit back and watch. Its obvious DG has taken MASSIVE leaps forward in the past few years, and in the right hands that can be parlayed into -oh gee I dont know- maybe the same coverage freakin cornhole gets now? Lol... I dont know how much youre entrenched into the outdoor sports industry but its pretty much my entire life and my career.

Its not a stretch or a reach. Its more like a fall forward. Rainwater was already part owner and essentially dissatisfied with Dodges creation of conflict where an opportunity existed for a more apt business mind and KNOWS he can do better. Id be inclined to agree. Even with small changes and minimal investment there is room for huge improvement overall. Dont think of this as him trying to reinvent the wheel, hes simply going from wooden wagon wheels to a modern tire, and the DGPT needs that badly IMO.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 572 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
There is a graphic they use for golf that would be pretty cool but also probably unrealistic for DG. The spray chart overlay for every teeshot on a hole for the entire field and then they're color coded by score.

That isn’t unrealistic, that’s likely adding one more person to a production staff. The technology already exists elsewhere and it’s an expansion on follow flight which is already in use so why that would be a huge stretch is a mystery to me. Not like they’d have to invent and develop the tech from scratch. I mean it’s basically follow flight + UDisc = kick ass data outlay.

These are the types of expansion I’d expect to see in the next year simply *because* it’s data rich (nerds like me love it) and not far outside what people are already doing. If Jomez can streamline the follow flight technology to be less time consuming this could be a no brainer, as the majority of that data is already on UDisc.

Last edited by DoWork; 08-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 117
Niced 61 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
That isnt unrealistic, thats likely adding one more person to a production staff. The technology already exists elsewhere and its an expansion on follow flight which is already in use so why that would be a huge stretch is a mystery to me. Not like theyd have to invent and develop the tech from scratch. I mean its basically follow flight + UDisc = kick ass data outlay.

These are the types of expansion Id expect to see in the next year simply *because* its data rich (nerds like me love it) and not far outside what people are already doing. If Jomez can streamline the follow flight technology to be less time consuming this could be a no brainer, as the majority of that data is already on UDisc.
Follow flight is a very hard process that is only done in post production for disc golf.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,244 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
There is one answer to all these wireless transmission problems......BLIMPS =) (I could swear one of the crazy tech guys like elon musk wants a squadron of blimps delivering internet to areas so yea....blimps.)
I would run back to school and add an airship rating to my license in a heartbeat if this was a thing.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 159 Times in 53 Posts

News of Todd Rainwater buying the DGPT hit me like a cold shower. I would love to know what all was included in the sale under the DGPT umbrella. Take some dedicated ownership, drizzle a little extra capital on top and the dark cloud of uncertainty will pass. It seems the disc golf community is meeting this news with thunderous applause. I'm not sure what precipitated this sale, but I think there's going to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for our sport. Opportunities like this are as rare as getting hit by lightning. This is just the calm before the storm, it's going to get exciting!

Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichiwi View Post
Follow flight is a very hard process that is only done in post production for disc golf.
Yes, because they do it manually. There are programs that can automatically create these follow flights (see here for an example).

In other words, it's hard because they aren't doing it the "smart" way. Now, these programs may cost a lot of money or have licensing issues, idk. I'd imagine Jomez has looked into it and decided against it for a reason.