Old 08-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Whoever mentioned the music city open a few pages back, I'm watching it now, and it certainly seems like 1/2 of the holds are well-designed open holes, and 1/2 of them are easy birdies for the top level distance throwers. It is certainly a par 71 or 72 course for pros, but I think it would only pass the other criteria mentioned in this thread for having good open holes about half the time, if that.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 466 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
Yeah, it takes a lot of land for sure to make a good par 5. The woods require less land, so there are certainly a lot more in there.
AND... very hard to make a true par 5 hole interesting for both Pros and AMs. Probably easier to make it for the AMs but then it may become an easy Par 4 for the Pros.

One Par 5 locally is interesting to me thinking about it in regards to this thread. The original basket position is 1049' and the basket is a bit guarded, with low ceiling out to circles edge. But other than that it seems like a huge long waste of space as for anyone that can only throw 300 it feels like 3 wide open shots as far as you can and then try and get under the trees close enough to the basket to putt. BUT if you can throw 450', it should be a long par 4, BUT actually requires placement shots to get around a GIANT willow tree that is certain jail. So much stick and leaf litter under it roller to get out is a crap shoot and the branches hang all the way to the ground. This tree is essentially not in play for the short arms you just throw to the huge area to the left or smaller alley to the right, hell you have two shots to approach it. For the Pros though it is very much in play for the second shot and getting around it clean AND far is the difference between an easy 4 and maybe a 6. My point? When it comes to a par 5 interesting or good can be crazy subjective. As I said for the AMs it is the most boring hole ever, for the Pros? It is deceptively difficult for an easy birdie.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
AND... very hard to make a true par 5 hole interesting for both Pros and AMs. Probably easier to make it for the AMs but then it may become an easy Par 4 for the Pros.

One Par 5 locally is interesting to me thinking about it in regards to this thread. The original basket position is 1049' and the basket is a bit guarded, with low ceiling out to circles edge. But other than that it seems like a huge long waste of space as for anyone that can only throw 300 it feels like 3 wide open shots as far as you can and then try and get under the trees close enough to the basket to putt. BUT if you can throw 450', it should be a long par 4, BUT actually requires placement shots to get around a GIANT willow tree that is certain jail. So much stick and leaf litter under it roller to get out is a crap shoot and the branches hang all the way to the ground. This tree is essentially not in play for the short arms you just throw to the huge area to the left or smaller alley to the right, hell you have two shots to approach it. For the Pros though it is very much in play for the second shot and getting around it clean AND far is the difference between an easy 4 and maybe a 6. My point? When it comes to a par 5 interesting or good can be crazy subjective. As I said for the AMs it is the most boring hole ever, for the Pros? It is deceptively difficult for an easy birdie.
What's the issue? Ams and Pros should play from different tees. If they are playing from the same tee, of course it's not going to be the right par.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Whoever mentioned the music city open a few pages back, I'm watching it now, and it certainly seems like 1/2 of the holds are well-designed open holes, and 1/2 of them are easy birdies for the top level distance throwers. It is certainly a par 71 or 72 course for pros, but I think it would only pass the other criteria mentioned in this thread for having good open holes about half the time, if that.
After finishing the round, I'd venture to say that very few of the multi-shot holes are good.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,670 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
..Basically like NW gold 12, take a Blue par 5 through the trees and move the Tee back 350' in the trees.
I think NW gold 12 would be more accurately called a par 6.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 43.5
Niced 242 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I remember some of my local players coming back from Worlds in Port Arthur (Houck courses) in the mid-90's telling me about these holes where you had to throw more than one shot as if they were unicorns.
That's pretty funny. I recently went back and looked at the original Old Settlers layout in Round Rock from 1990, which we starting using for National Doubles in 1991. It's so big in my memory -- I was shocked to realize it was only a par 63. The course in Victoria, Texas we used for Circular Skies starting in '88 was also par 62 or 63. Similar story: it seemed so huge at the time, and now looks just kind of average to me.

I know that, in some parts of the country, par fours and fives are still as rare as four-leaf clovers, if not unicorns, but there are obviously higher-par courses going in all the time.

On the other hand, my quick and unscientific DGCR research just showed that fewer than half the 18-hole courses established in 2018 had par higher than 57. That's not real encouraging, though let's not forget that there will always be a place for par 54 courses in the DG world. We're getting there -- just wish we could get there a little quicker.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
what's a good par three design that you haven't seen yet?
I'm not sure that I have a specific idea in mind that I hope to be able to implement someday. If you step back far enough, just about every hole is a variation of some existing hole, anyway. Still, somehow, I keep seeing opportunities to say, "This area would make for a great par three, and it's different enough that it feels unique." Let's hope that never ends.

Quote:
also, do you think there are course features that we haven't seen yet that could become commonplace in the future if greater resources were available?
Now THOSE I do have in mind. We did some things I've always wanted to do at Harmony Bends, and I'm hoping that's just the beginning.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,064 Posts

By "legit Par 72," I assume you mean for 18 holes.
I'm sure there are tons of 24 hole, par 72 courses.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The fact that we can make more interesting par threes (I guess you mean more interesting than ball golf) isn't an argument for more pars 3s. We can make more interesting par 4s and 5s as well. The same logic should apply to them.
That's a fair point, Ryan, and is generally true about individual holes. I guess what I'm really saying is about the overall course. A good 8-6-4 disc golf course can be a lot more interesting than an 8-6-4 ball golf course could ever be.

(By 8-8-2, I mean 8 par threes, 6 par fours, and 4 par fives).

Old 09-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The difficulty with designing even decent open par 5's in disc golf is the huge disparity in throwing distances of players. If they are long enough for the long throwers to be challenged to birdie they become a boring slog for the rest. If they are short enough to be interesting for the bulk of the field the long throwers eat them up like candy and eagles are commonplace. In my experience I can come up with good par 4 holes at the drop of a hat on virtually any property. Good par 5's on the other hand require better land and exponentially more brain power on my part.
Amen to all that, and very well said.

Niced: (1)