Old 09-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 518
Niced 685 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I understand the need for revenue but as a programmer, I will always have dynamic ads blocked. They are a security risk both to one's system as well as one's PII.

If someone builds a system where I can't watch the video with my blocking, or rerouting, of scripts, then I will simply not watch.

I am a capitalist and I am will to pay a modest amount for post production tournaments that I am interested in; I would guess quite a bit more than they would get from dynamic ads.

I don't have any programming skills, so I use Ad Block and other methods so I don't see ads on my computer or TV. The easiest way to avoid ads is to avoid watching live. I record my favorite network shows so I can watch later and fast forward through every single commercial. I also do the same with post round DG coverage.

With live disc golf coverage, I just wait an hour to start watching so I can skip all the ads AND annoying filler talk. (It is not necessary to fill every second of every live broadcast with incessant jabber.)

Just like WMD, I am willing to pay for a commercial free experience. I currently pay for ad free premium cable channels and streaming services like Hulu, Netflix and Sirius XM Radio - just so I don't have to endure advertising.

I have come to hate advertising so much, that I really get (irrationally) upset when I start watching a network show On Demand that doesn't have FF. The dreaded "noff".
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,836 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post

And as far as highest bidder. ??? That is another good question. The RFP could include other things beyond just cost. I am really excited to see it honestly, because I don't know what it will include. I do hope that they talk with the media to see what it all entails. It could be that the RFP includes FPO1 as well. Because as we stated earlier, there isn't a lot of demand to cover that card, due to the low numbers it pulls.
In the current structure of things (organizers basically paying the way for video crews to come) isn't lowest bidder a more appropriate term?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,722 Times in 405 Posts

Both CCDG and Jomez are making decent money off of their post production now. So, it could be a highest bidder scenario as in who offers to pay the DGPT to come and film. It was discussed in a Reddit thread that Ian said he could see paying $1000 for lead card MPO. And maybe more?

The problem is going to come when someone needs to cover FPO or MPO2. Neither of those will garner any money. Because they don't get the views that MPO does. So depending on what the RFP says, that could be a major issue.

I mean it really is going to depend on what the DGPT wants. If they want control of the ads in the post production videos it is going to be a different beast, because that is where the media companies make money.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,340 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
In the current structure of things (organizers basically paying the way for video crews to come) isn't lowest bidder a more appropriate term?
I'm relatively certain the DGPT intends to sell the rights, or at least pick the RFP that is free to them. Those are my words/thoughts though, not anything official.

I agree with JVD, it's excellent that this is going to a proper RFP process, it's really the only correct choice that Jeff has. If he openly courts CCDG, Smashboxx, and Jomez above all others he's risking re-opening old wounds, bringing up comparisons to the "old way", and alienating potential competitive business partners that are new to the scene. Plus he comes to the negotiating table without much leverage in that scenario. The best thing for him to do for the tour is to keep it open to all interested parties, especially given his expressed desire to give the individual tournaments on the tour more emphasis. The DGPT could theoretically have more leverage on a less-established (but talented) channel, for example, to mandate a certain level of visibility for their events in the coverage than they could with a group who has already dialed in their look.

IMO, so far Jeff is doing exactly what he needs to be doing - right message, right tone, and writing the story instead of letting the forums and Facebook write it for him. Cautious optimism is justified here I believe.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,836 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I'm relatively certain the DGPT intends to sell the rights, or at least pick the RFP that is free to them. Those are my words/thoughts though, not anything official.

I agree with JVD, it's excellent that this is going to a proper RFP process, it's really the only correct choice that Jeff has. If he openly courts CCDG, Smashboxx, and Jomez above all others he's risking re-opening old wounds, bringing up comparisons to the "old way", and alienating potential competitive business partners that are new to the scene. Plus he comes to the negotiating table without much leverage in that scenario. The best thing for him to do for the tour is to keep it open to all interested parties, especially given his expressed desire to give the individual tournaments on the tour more emphasis. The DGPT could theoretically have more leverage on a less-established (but talented) channel, for example, to mandate a certain level of visibility for their events in the coverage than they could with a group who has already dialed in their look.

IMO, so far Jeff is doing exactly what he needs to be doing - right message, right tone, and writing the story instead of letting the forums and Facebook write it for him. Cautious optimism is justified here I believe.
I agree completely that optimism is justified for DGPT fans. Also that an actual RFP is the way to go- a business needs to run like a business.

I admittedly still have a lot of trouble getting my head around how the monetization of coverage works at this point. Seems to me that TD's paying for coverage are getting colossally screwed but that's how dg seems to work- everybody gets paid but the TD's.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 810 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
It was discussed in a Reddit thread that Ian said he could see paying $1000 for lead card MPO. And maybe more?
I still have a bad taste about Jomez allegedly charging the local organization $2000.00 to film the VPO Tournament in Texas and then also apparently getting all ad revenue as well. I've always said media companies should be bidding, etc, for the right to cover an event. Glad this is happening now.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 1,340 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I agree completely that optimism is justified for DGPT fans. Also that an actual RFP is the way to go- a business needs to run like a business.

I admittedly still have a lot of trouble getting my head around how the monetization of coverage works at this point. Seems to me that TD's paying for coverage are getting colossally screwed but that's how dg seems to work- everybody gets paid but the TD's.
My experience planning this A-tier has further opened my eyes to the plight of TD's.

My experience balancing annual and project budgets for 4 years at SpinTV makes me understand why media teams put up the fences that they do.

Despite all that experience, I do not have a cure-all idea on hand for the problem. On one hand I'd hate to see us start drawing all these lines in the sand for the paltry amount of money we're quibbling over, because ultimately those lines will be abused and eventually tossed out as we continue to grow the industry.

On the other side of that coin, we have to keep fanning the flames to keep growing, so striking a balance between setting up for smooth future growth and cooperation and not choking/bottlenecking the immediate growth is crucial.

Honestly, I'm looking for the PDGA to lead us on this, but they also have a bad habit lately of writing completely unenforceable policy, which doesn't help.

One way or another, we're about to enter a new age of disc golf. I think it's pretty fitting that McBeth won Worlds this year, because 2012-2019 will be looked back upon as an era. There's a new one dawning, with far more emphasis on what happens "outside of the ropes" than in anytime in the past.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I still have a bad taste about Jomez allegedly charging the local organization $2000.00 to film the VPO Tournament in Texas and then also apparently getting all ad revenue as well. I've always said media companies should be bidding, etc, for the right to cover an event. Glad this is happening now.
You can only get bidders for content that people want. Bidding on covering DGPT or NT or Majors might generate some revenue for those events/tours. No one is bidding to cover an average A-tier like VPO. Not unless the TD can guarantee all the big hitters are going to be in attendance.

And when I say all, I don't mean one or two, I mean enough to all but guarantee two or three of them on the lead/feature card. They're not going to get huge views on a tournament where Eagle McMahon beats up on a few local 1000 rated guys. They will if it's a battle to the last hole with McBeth, Wysocki, McMahon, Jones, Heimburg, Lizzote, Conrad, Sexton, etc all in the hunt. One of those will produce good revenue for the crew, one won't.

If you aren't going to have headliners, you're going to have to pony up to get a video crew to come to town and film, especially a high caliber one like Jomez. You can quibble with their asking prices, but I feel like they know at this stage where their break-even point is, and they price themselves accordingly. $2000 for Jomez for a weekend doesn't surprise me in the least, especially if there was any interest in them turning things around next day. These guys aren't hobbyists. This is their job.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:42 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,527 Times in 694 Posts

I'm curious if any of the media teams have figured out if there's any course fatigue where viewership has gone down in the following year(s) on a course even if the groups playing them continue to be top rated.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 158 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm curious if any of the media teams have figured out if there's any course fatigue where viewership has gone down in the following year(s) on a course even if the groups playing them continue to be top rated.
I'm curious about this, too.

I find myself being more drawn to the post-produced coverage lately. I used to watch everything, but now I've seen all the courses several times and it takes a special set of circumstances to get me to tune in. For me to tune in live, it's got to be the last round and several top players have to be in a close battle for first place. Otherwise, I prefer to wait for post-produced coverage.