Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,600 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
I think the real topic at hand was supposed to be the PDGAs lack of standards across majors. We have technical standards for discs and baskets, but ignore player safety by not having the same for our tee areas. That's on the PDGA not each event. While his point was brought up via the US Master's event, I don't think he was trying to pick at that event or the staff, but more so that the PDGA shouldn't be approving sub par courses with dangerous tee pads or other course issues for our Majors, NTs, and larger events.

Part of the responsibility of the PDGA is to inspect and approve courses for use in Majors and I think a lot of folks would just like to see better standards adhered to.
There was nothing at all dangerous about any of the tee pads (or the courses in general) at this year's US Masters. The teeing surfaces were a bit inconsistent (size and material), but there was absolutely nothing dangerous about them. Not every course can have 20 foot long, perfectly textured pads to accommodate the James Conrad-style run-up.

I think we have to be careful to distinguish true technical standards and players' personal preferences if we're going to discuss course standards. That said, I've yet to find the one course where not a single player found some flaw to complain about. That's not just pros, that's any skill level.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I think it does. We're wrestling with a local event we run, that filled in an hour last year and may fill much quicker this year. Our options for taking more players means diminishing the quality for everyone. So we're going for quality of quantity, too---the best possible event for those who manage to get in.

As a player I've had that rug pulled out from under me---registered for an event to find that at the last moment, they made changes to add more players and diminish the experience. I've also been left out because I couldn't type fast enough, so I know that anguish, but I'd rather events focus on quality.
I think this is a nice summary of how TD's should be viewing their events. Nobody is entitled to gain entry into any event....outside of those event who set aside spots for champs, and such. Everyone goes into the registration with the same chance to gain entry. Quality over quantity should ALWAYS be the guideline. I too have been on both ends of the examples above.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So what’s your solution to this issue?
Old folks need to type faster...

Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

It has a few things going for it.
First, it rewards better play over time (seems pretty natural),
Second, (hopefully) it penalizes sandbagging.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,592 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Ok, you can't just throw a statement like that out there and then not give us a reason why.
A lot of complaining about where the catch cam was standing (who's standing totally still 300+ feet away...), more complaining about where the slow mo cam was (also standing totally still).

These are the exact same positions we've (and Jomez/everyone) used to film mpo on that course (and every other course too), and no one says anything (99% of the time).

I realize this doesn't reflect on all Masters (and not everyone we filmed that week), so hopefully it was just that tourney.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 1,405 Times in 472 Posts

JohnE! JohnE!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,299 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

It has a few things going for it.
First, it rewards better play over time (seems pretty natural),
Second, (hopefully) it penalizes sandbagging.

Thoughts?
I don't know about either of those reasons. Best argument for it at Worlds is that the best should be competing for the championship.

But you'd reward the guy who plays 3 PDGA events a year---but plays well---over the guy who plays 35. The latter might get some credit for being such an active participant in the organization.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 134 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Quality over quantity should ALWAYS be the guideline.
and all the other '...quality...' posts here:

How about the "quality" of the player(s)? That's a facet of a championship (along with courses, amenities, etc.) too you know!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 28 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post

Now, somehow winning a US Women's title is nothing special because there are "so many" of them? Or they are just not special because they are Am titles or Master titles or Women's titles?

I hope that each and every Champion at the 2019 USWDGC gets to experience celebration and recognition for the achievement of winning the US Title AND a PDGA Major event.
Please point out where he said that the titles were "nothing special" verse just pointing out the fact that there are many titles in general.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 196
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

This was my first US Masters. I played Am 40 and thought it was great. We got two rounds at Maple Hill, which is still my #1 course. 501 is the 2nd best course in the state, and everyone I talked to loved it. Newton Hill is admittedly average. The broken glass is a little eye opening, but the course itself is good. I don't have much to compare it to, but I wouldn't expect most multi-course tournaments have a better overall mix.

I agree that the emails on course rules and OB were a little sparse. And the 4-hour break for Am 40 between rounds on Saturday was long, but I used the time to follow the top card around at Maple Hill for half a round. And to get a taco (yes, there was a food vendor). And to have a beer. And to be thankful that Dorian didn't bring any rain. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

I'm legitimately curious though from people who have been to other US Masters, is the vibe different? What was better or worse?