Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 466 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
"fell short of providing the experience you deservebefitting a Major."
I've been under the impression all along that this is the whole crux of the issue.

It was a major ffs right? And the complaints have been it felt more like a local C tier.
then those complaints were met with... ~'well it met the bare minimum requirements'

Are the bare minimum what people expect of something termed a major?

I kinda only 1/2 assed looking into this but I'm an AM40 player. If lets say i set out to play the biggest AM40 events in the country, the most prestigious events with that division it looks to me that this event would have been #2 on the list behind AM worlds? would that be right? Did it live up to that billing?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I kinda only 1/2 assed looking into this but I'm an AM40 player. If lets say i set out to play the biggest AM40 events in the country, the most prestigious events with that division it looks to me that this event would have been #2 on the list behind AM worlds? would that be right? Did it live up to that billing?
I don't know. It's not that simple, though. AM40 plays a lot of events. You can play AM40 at Glass Blown. You can play AM40 at Ledgestone. USMDGC has to live up to those types of events as well. The bar can get kinda high.

The flip side is that the high bar is supposed to be what makes an event a major. If the event didn't meet the standards, there are a lot of questions for the PDGA to ponder.

I don't have to ponder them, though. I'm just a guy with a rating low enough that I'd have to Lloyd Weema it at a major so even though USMDGC is going to be two hours from my house next summer, no way in Hell I'm going and embarrassing myself.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Back 70 or 80 years ago, when I was a kid, there was this phenomena, if you bought something and it was lousy, or if you went to an event and it was lousy, you didn't go back. The company went out of business. Problem solved. Today, there has to be a ten week discussion (you'll notice I'm not calling it a whine fest) of the short comings of said product/event online.

If GBO and other events do it better, um, maybe folks should just go to them? Call me a dreamer.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,416 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Back 70 or 80 years ago, when I was a kid, there was this phenomena, if you bought something and it was lousy, or if you went to an event and it was lousy, you didn't go back. The company went out of business. Problem solved. Today, there has to be a ten week discussion (you'll notice I'm not calling it a whine fest) of the short comings of said product/event online.

If GBO and other events do it better, um, maybe folks should just go to them? Call me a dreamer.
It's 2019, gramps. The world is a different place. Change with the times or don't.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 239
Niced 76 Times in 26 Posts
Lightbulb

So one thing to keep in mind is that starting in 2021,
the PDGA Amateur World Championships becomes just Advanced and Advanced Women.

The 2021 PDGA Masters Disc Golf World Championships will feature both Pro and Am divisions.

With this change, I think we’ll see a much better focus on all the PDGA majors. Including the Tim Selinske. They will be far better attended, there will be more bids placed, and the quality of the bids and the host teams will improve, imo.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 214 Times in 103 Posts

So do most people feel for a "Major" event that a short basket should be left in the ground when playing the long layout? The week before at a DGPT event at the same course no short baskets and the wham they are in the ground for a PDGA major.

In matching the coverage of the event that is the one item that stuck out to me that didn't feel like a major event. I realize for a B or C tier that it is a huge task to move them out of the way, I have play B-tiers where the short basket have been removed before. And I also realize in the 3rd round they played to the short baskets.

But I still feel they should have been removed.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 230
Niced 81 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post

That's fine if it's a going concern. However, this is a one and done event. Selinske's isn't going to be at Maple Hill again.

BTW, in the 'old days' there was still a ten week discussion. It took place at the church picnics, old lady's afternoon tea, the blue collar bar down on the corner at 3:15 when first shift got out, etc. The water cooler may have moved, but there has always been a water cooler conversation.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 83
Niced 155 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
So do most people feel for a "Major" event that a short basket should be left in the ground when playing the long layout? The week before at a DGPT event at the same course no short baskets and the wham they are in the ground for a PDGA major.

In matching the coverage of the event that is the one item that stuck out to me that didn't feel like a major event. I realize for a B or C tier that it is a huge task to move them out of the way, I have play B-tiers where the short basket have been removed before. And I also realize in the 3rd round they played to the short baskets.

But I still feel they should have been removed.
How many baskets was it? Were both sets of baskets being used in the same day?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 214 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
How many baskets was it? Were both sets of baskets being used in the same day?
From my understanding The short basket where used Saturday afternoon (round 3) and the longs on Sunday (round 4). Two basket on each hole. On some holes it didn't matter. Other the short basket was smack in the middle of the fairway.

All I have to go by is the coverage on GateKeeper Media. I was not there and I am only guess. It just surprised me a bit as it wasn't that way a week early for the Maple Hill Open.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 134 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
From my understanding The short basket where used Saturday afternoon (round 3) and the longs on Sunday (round 4). Two basket on each hole. On some holes it didn't matter. Other the short basket was smack in the middle of the fairway.

All I have to go by is the coverage on GateKeeper Media. I was not there and I am only guess. It just surprised me a bit as it wasn't that way a week early for the Maple Hill Open.
A few points to consider:
A. The week before the MVP open, it was known that the only layout to be played during the event was Gold...and thus out of courtesy to the practicing players the other baskets were pulled (not a small task).
B. For the Selinske there would be need for players to practice THEIR upcoming layouts during the whole week prior so all baskets were kept in place. Switching out baskets the evening prior to a certain layout being used is not practical.
C. Maple Hill is a ptp course and it's hard to close down day-play for 2 full weeks.
D. Maple Hill has 4 distinct layouts (overlaying each other) comprising 40 baskets and 52 tees.
E. When in doubt, stand on the tee below the flag the color of your layout and throw to the basket flying the same color flag (maps are on both the tee signs and scorecards)!
F. Just pretend the other baskets are very stout little bushes!!