Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Someone on my card in this weekend's tournament suggested I try to putt anhyzer to flatten my putter lines and it seems to work. It forces me to supinate my wrist through the throw more than I'm used to. Might be completely incorrect, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 201 Times in 153 Posts

Easily my best day of throwing yesterday. Out of 9 holes I hit 8 gaps off the tee (tight wooded course). I was focused on two things: not using arm muscle and finishing with my head over my front foot countered by my rear leg extending, almost exaggerating the leaning forward kind of like how Kenny Climo throws. It was both easier power and easier accuracy when I kind of just don't pretend the arm exists except for some focus on the grip. Even the downhill anny putters shots that two holes require (if you don't have a FH) were far easier to aim than before.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Eagle Member

Also got some putting videos last night, Youtube was not cooperating so hopefully I can get them up today.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

After looking at said videos, there's no point in posting really. I figured out how to set my stance and keep my back foot in one place during the entire backswing, which feels a lot better. My timing is looking better with a slower backswing and exploding forward during the forward swing, but the disc is coming out of my hand all weird. On video it looks like a split second before I release the disc is soooo nose down and magically it comes out a little straighter. Still had a locked out elbow so I need to let it bend and flex during the back swing and forward swing. Kept my hand on the front edge of the disc slightly longer but still needs a lot of work.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Eagle Member

Alrighty, went to a field with the dog and wife and got some throwing videos. There's still lots of issue but I think I've made some progress. At least everything feels better. But my lower body doesn't seem to be involved in the throw and lots of wonky things. This is also me just having fun and not really "aiming" so its a little more out of control than I would throw on the course. But I think once I fix the lower body stuff, I know how the upper body is supposed to feel now.

For fun I threw some LHFH and I haven't thrown a full power forehand in a loooong time. Turns out I still have a decent one! Pretty sure I was throwing further than my RHBH. I almost always throw anhyzer though due to my elbow issue. But still pretty fun! I've never seen myself throw FH on a video before.

Forehand:

Backhand shots:

Old 09-19-2019, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,759 Times in 1,709 Posts

Yep better sequence. Same theme going on around here with rear foot/leg not driving the front heel into the plant. Rear knee is locked out into immoveable stance and pushing off heel instead of instep. Your rear leg is good FH, but not BH. It's the same move, just turn everything further back into the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I think you need a quicker shift of your lower body underneath the upper body between your feet with a narrower stride/stance. The drive from the rear instep should push your front heel into the ground quicker which should lag/tilt the shoulders back as your rear foot accelerates the pelvis rather than the shoulders, so the hips accelerate the torso/shoulders.

Work on this in slow/er motion and "standstill", so you have to maintain better balance and can accelerate faster going into the plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m15s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 9.37.56 PM.jpg (30.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Eagle Member

Oh wow cool comparison there. Weird thing is that I never put any "work" into my forehand. I just naturally developed it before I knew anything about form. Seems more intuitive.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Yeah I completely agree with the rear leg thing in the BH shot.

In your LHFH, take your off arm elbow and tuck it to your right up to anchor up for the shot. Right now your off arm is pulling around your body behind you to kind of "pre-spin" yourself...it feels like it'll make you faster but instead you just freely rotate instead of getting that anchored off-side feeling to unload the arm against. It will feel tighter or more firm, at least to me. And I get much easier distance and better accuracy.

Most pitchers tend to tuck their off arm like this:

Here's Ricky doing the same thing:

Old 09-20-2019, 02:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,759 Times in 1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
In your LHFH, take your off arm elbow and tuck it to your right up to anchor up for the shot. Right now your off arm is pulling around your body behind you to kind of "pre-spin" yourself...it feels like it'll make you faster but instead you just freely rotate instead of getting that anchored off-side feeling to unload the arm against. It will feel tighter or more firm, at least to me. And I get much easier distance and better accuracy.

Most pitchers tend to tuck their off arm like this:
Agree, but it's not really the arm tucking or retracting into the body. It's the swim move FH. The body is swum or pulled forward and tucks into the arm/hand. You can see the swim paddle motion in my forehand, my left elbow/hand doesn't move away from the target after the plant until the right elbow starts crossing my center and the left elbow, catapulting the swing forward of it. My left shoulder never moves away from target.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 09-20-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
The body is swum or pulled forward and tucks into the arm/hand.

..... my left elbow/hand doesn't move away from the target after the plant until the right elbow starts crossing my center and the left elbow, catapulting the swing forward of it. My left shoulder never moves away from target.
Oh wow I didn't realize that. I will have to look at video for my FH from standstill to see what I'm doing. In my mind I am pulling/tucking my off elbow to my core, so I'm not sure if I'm actually pulling it away from the target.