#1021  
Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts
Default

That makes sense. I can feel a lot of leverage through my rear instep and leg, but in a way that it powers my front hip and then the front hip pulls the body. Whereas a shift in front throw feels like the rear foot is powering the arm directly by pushing it forward, rather than there be a pulling feeling.

It also makes sense how you are saying the over the top is like shoulders leading the hips, but there essentially not being hip rotation.

I'm on board with all that, just need more repetitions and adjusting. I definitely feel the rear instep leverage in throws, how you described for my throw and just reiterated here in a similar way.

Do you feel any tension/resistance build on the outside of your plant hip as you're driving the rear side downward into the plant, or does everything clear or rotate easily?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1022  
Old 09-20-2019, 01:52 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 15,002
Niced 2,760 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Do you feel any tension/resistance build on the outside of your plant hip as you're driving the rear side downward into the plant, or does everything clear or rotate easily?
Agree with your description on the other stuff.

On your question I would clarify that I'm not driving the rear side downward. The rear foot driving into the ground is driving everything else forward like a speed skater starting on ice or roller blades, or sub pitcher and there will be a dropping/lowering/angulation happening. Some people call it a skateboard push which never made sense to me because I could never skateboard or get two feet on it - which I now understand why I couldn't, balance/weight/stance was all wrong leg, just like my backhand in the beginning. I think it should be like one leg drill on the skateboard, but no way I'm trying to learn skateboard err break more bones.

There is some initial tension/resistance on the outside plant leg to redirect your linear momentum and the tension is mirrored like on the rear outside leg like in door frame drill, but it dissipates/releases as I rise up on the front leg which swivels the pelvis like squatting on one leg. Mike Maves description of everything is spot on to me.


Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1023  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:54 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts
Default

The part at 4:15 is pretty much exactly what I was looking for in this instance. About once you've resisted and the hip starts to clear a bit, that you can just go with it.

I can definitely feel a ton of leverage on the back foot, more than ever. I wouldn't say it's like a skateboard push though, that's a weird feeling unlike anything else.

On a skateboard you're on one leg drill on the leading foot on the front of the board, 100% committed to that balance in all directions. But once your rear foot is on the ground matching the ground's speed to kick, it feels completely gripped to the ground like you're running...but your balance is always over the foot on the board, you just squat down so the other foot can touch down. You don't dare shift your balance toward the pushing foot. I can feel the grip/traction on the pushing leg from ground and the extended rear leg after kicking while being balanced on the front leg as a similarity to the throw, but when you are going 100% all out and you are reaching in front of you with your kicking leg before pushing, while being balanced on the board behind that outstretched leg...that's a weird feeling to commit to.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1024  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:01 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 15,002
Niced 2,760 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I wouldn't say it's like a skateboard push though, that's a weird feeling unlike anything else.

On a skateboard you're on one leg drill on the leading foot on the front of the board, 100% committed to that balance in all directions. But once your rear foot is on the ground matching the ground's speed to kick, it feels completely gripped to the ground like you're running...but your balance is always over the foot on the board, you just squat down so the other foot can touch down. You don't dare shift your balance toward the pushing foot. I can feel the grip/traction on the pushing leg from ground and the extended rear leg after kicking while being balanced on the front leg as a similarity to the throw, but when you are going 100% all out and you are reaching in front of you with your kicking leg before pushing, while being balanced on the board behind that outstretched leg...that's a weird feeling to commit to.
IDK that sounds like a good description of one leg drill to me.
Reply With Quote
  #1025  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,254
Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts
Default

Interesting, I'll try to think about that a bit when going through balance drills or throwing standstill. It's easier to be forced to learn to balance when the consequence is wrecking, rather than not throwing as far as you want.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1026  
Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Posts: 15,002
Niced 2,760 Times in 1,709 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Interesting, I'll try to think about that a bit when going through balance drills or throwing standstill. It's easier to be forced to learn to balance when the consequence is wrecking, rather than not throwing as far as you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4pxndBpJ4#t=2m22s
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minneapolis DG Adventure Future_Primitive Vacations & Road Trips 39 06-27-2018 10:39 AM
MrHobbes' Form Adventure MrHobbes Form Analysis/Critique 2 04-30-2018 11:54 PM
Today's DG Adventure Chaser0909 General Disc Golf Chat 25 01-14-2016 06:43 PM
Adventure to Clearwater, FL Dahlemj24 Disc Golf Courses 20 02-27-2011 07:52 PM
New adventure tomorrow.... volmed10 Disc Golf Courses 16 05-17-2010 11:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.