Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 26
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
So far as i can tell, the D1 production runs are higher plh than most protos and FRs, however i own a production run that has a low plh. The higher plh ones ive thrown are nasty overstable, comparable to a pd2. But their wing is shaped in a way that makes it pretty sensetive to release angle, so keep it on its plane.
I've noticed this with my D1s as well. Flatter is better though...
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a lot of time with D1 but little time with the others. Generally, the D1s I've found to be pretty consistent since the production runs hit. All of the ones I own that are 170+ are pretty overstable. Not quite Giant overstable, but not far off. I'd say they are somewhere between a really beefy destroyer and a giant. I have found that I REALLY like the lightweight 400g D1s for overstable + distance. I've thrown a few of them in the 162g range that are pop top and are more like regular destroyer/fuzion trespass and just go a long way.

I haven't noticed any nose angle issues with the D1 as others have, but that could simply be because the D1 is so overstable for me by and large that nose angle isn't noticeably changing the way the disc behaves for me. I have noticed nose angle issues with the D4 and D3, however. That's part of the reason I don't throw them.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

I am really liking the lighter D3s, even after de flashing they are still money. I havent noticed a ton of differing characteristics in the D3s except the flashing and some are super domey while others have a mild shoulder and then pretty flat, which is how i think theyre supposed to be. The domey ones are pretty HSS, and are even pretty decent into a slight headwind. So imo, the D3s are the easiest to get an idea of how they fly prior to buying, even tho there is some variance, its easy to spot.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know people like to bash Prodigy. These threads usually go downhill when people go off topic.

Anywho, i am a big fan of Prodigy D series drivers. Currently have 4 D1, 2 D2, 2 D3, 4 D4. 400 G are stiffer and IME fly more overstable than the same disc in 400S. Initially all of mine fly more OS than intended, but after a few rounds they break in to their desired flight. I only buy production run discs and have not had any bad results or unexpected flight characteristics.

D1: I only buy 400s versions of this disc. It is like a big brother to the teebird. Straight for over 300' and then fade kicks in. Very hard to turn over unless I OAT and wrist roll. Also great results for overhand. I can get 30-50' longer tomahawk than with my firebirds.

D2: started with 400s, but usually use this disc for fh and the extra stability of 400g helps combat my form flaws. Can be snapped hard and will fly straight or with slight turn. I do turn over the 400s if I get sloppy.

D3: my first driver consistently hitting 380-400'. Lots of glide, about 30-60' of hs turn and then a solid fade brings it back in line. 400g is notably more os than 400s. Lost my 400s and have really cared for the 400g enough to keep it bagged.

D4: the only prodigy driver that stays in the bag at all times. Big s-turn drives. Huge distance if you have room to let it loose. Hyzer flip it for low and straight shots. Any it to a roller. Tailwind no problem. Definitely a very useful disc. Easy distance, just don't force it and it will reward.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 149
Niced 60 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks for the great info, Pwingles. That's good stuff right there, and very useful. I really have to get my hands on a D4 for a tryout. I'm still pretty new to throwing distance drivers, and while I'm liking the Lace, not necessarily certain that it's going to be around for the long hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
A production run D4 will fly very nicely in a mid to low weight. Ive found that a lot of them are heavier than the written weight, so scale them if you can. Otherwise buy a lower written weight and assume its 1-2 grams heavier.

The 3 will fly stable to overstable with a slight turn, unless into a HW in which case, it will turn quite a but. But thats any disc.

So far as i can tell, the D1 production runs are higher plh than most protos and FRs, however i own a production run that has a low plh. The higher plh ones ive thrown are nasty overstable, comparable to a pd2. But their wing is shaped in a way that makes it pretty sensetive to release angle, so keep it on its plane.

The D2, in general doesnt have this problem. Its nose is more blunt. In G plastic its very overstable, in reg 400 its still overstable but just not quite as OS as the G plastic. The D2 is a really nice disc imo. For some reason the ice clears are flippy?? Not sure why.

The D3 and D4 seem to have the most variance from player to player. Some of it is for sure a manufacturing issue, but i think a good bit of it is just the difference in players throwing ability from one player to another.

I have had D4 that were stable to overstable, i have had D4 that would only turn. It reminds me of a wraith, in the way that, some people throw them as HW drivers and some people throw them for stable to understable drivers, the wraith has a lot of variance in stability. Most stable to understable drivers will vary more, because it is supposed to fit in such a niche flightwise, any change in the manufacturing process is gonna make it fly different (more so than a very OS or very US mold) maybe not to the players liking. So my advice for the D4 and D3 are to ask other people how theirs are flying, what weight and relative plh it is and search out the ones that fit the description of the desired flight.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I have a proto blue D1. I started out about as stable as everyone else has said, but has really beaten into a very nice sweet spot. I can throw it flat and it will turn just a hair and hold a nice long line and fade dependably. Or I can throw it higher with anhyzer for a long sweeping line that fights back to fade at the end. I have a production run D1 backup that is also quite overstable.

I lost a white proto D2 a while ago. It wasn't any great loss though because to me the D2 is just too close in stability to the D1 to make the bag. A very slightly worn D1 will fly just like a D2, so it's easy to have overlap there.

I've had 2 D3s that were wildly different in stability. I had a proto yellow that was as overstable as a D1. I lost that one and replaced it with a domey first run blue that's less understable than my D4s. I know some people love this mold, but it's been very inconsistent for me, so I don't use them.

I really like the D4 for hyzer flips. To me, it's like a slightly more stable katana. I can throw it on long hyzer flip S shots and depend on it fading right at the end, which is nice. I've had a proto (lost), a first run green, and a production run purple. They have all flown very similarly for me, so no complaints about inconsistency in the ones I have bought.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Niced 175 Times in 104 Posts

Seems like nobody talks about these much anymore. I am really liking these D2's I've been throwing. I have been having some issues with the Destroyer as far as consistency as well as release so I wanted to try out these. I'm wondering if they may have fixed some of their production inconsistencies from a few years ago as I have been impressed on that end. I have a 174 450, 173 400, and a 169 400g. They all fly similarly with the 400g being a bit more understable and glidey.

The 450 plastic is honestly one of the best I have ever felt. Like, they need to make that in another disc and I would buy it immediately. It is everything I want champ type plastics to be. Distance wise they are solid and I would say they are similar stability wise to an overstable destroyer.

My destroyers may be taking a backseat if the D2 keeps this up. I mean, what's the difference with some inconsistencies in d2's when you have the same thing with destroyers between AJ's, Bottom Stamp, Pop Top, Anthon, Flat, mcbeths, 3 line, 2 line, brinsters, philos and that's just in star plastic. Like who can even keep track of all that. I love the discs but it's exhausting.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 61
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
Seems like nobody talks about these much anymore. I am really liking these D2's I've been throwing. I have been having some issues with the Destroyer as far as consistency as well as release so I wanted to try out these. I'm wondering if they may have fixed some of their production inconsistencies from a few years ago as I have been impressed on that end. I have a 174 450, 173 400, and a 169 400g. They all fly similarly with the 400g being a bit more understable and glidey.

The 450 plastic is honestly one of the best I have ever felt. Like, they need to make that in another disc and I would buy it immediately. It is everything I want champ type plastics to be. Distance wise they are solid and I would say they are similar stability wise to an overstable destroyer.

My destroyers may be taking a backseat if the D2 keeps this up. I mean, what's the difference with some inconsistencies in d2's when you have the same thing with destroyers between AJ's, Bottom Stamp, Pop Top, Anthon, Flat, mcbeths, 3 line, 2 line, brinsters, philos and that's just in star plastic. Like who can even keep track of all that. I love the discs but it's exhausting.
My destroyers (dont even own any now) took a backseat to the D1 and D2 years ago.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,159 Times in 2,210 Posts

D-V2 series discs just appeared on the approved list...

Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
D-V2 series discs just appeared on the approved list...
Yeah, now we have:

D1 Max, D2 Max, D3 Max, D4 Max, D6 Max,
as well as:
D1 V2, D2 V2, D3 V2, and D6 V2

Wonder what all this is about?

Niced: (1)