Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts
Default PDGA Ratings

Are these a made up mathematical formula which changes upon every variable possible as if your playing performance is the same as the weather forecast?

Does the average player know what in the world the difference is between 800, 900, 1000, 1100 rated rounds?

Why is the information essentially proprietary when it should be subjected to review and outside observations which could impact the outcome of said rating?

What is the constant variable that makes different round ratings comparable within different courses and rounds played and even times played?

How could you change the current ratings system to make it simpler or easier to understand and evaluate?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,168 Times in 592 Posts

This should be interesting.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM
FROLF OFF!

Hopefully much more so than what the meaning of stable is.....
Old 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM
FROLF OFF!

I am almost a 1000 rated player too

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 45 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Are these a made up mathematical formula which changes upon every variable possible as if your playing performance is the same as the weather forecast?
They're a "made up mathematical formula" which changes upon every variable possible, within the limits of human variation across a field of players all playing the same course at (theoretically) the same time. The theory being, of course, that with a large enough sample size, and a sufficient number of trials, all of these variables will eventually cancel each other out. Note: I'm not saying that 'real' disc golf events ever can achieve this theoretical ideal.

Quote:
Does the average player know what in the world the difference is between 800, 900, 1000, 1100 rated rounds?
Sort of? It's easiest to approximate it using the 10-points-per-throw metric. i.e. the difference between and 800 and 900 rated round is ~10 throws.

Quote:
Why is the information essentially proprietary when it should be subjected to review and outside observations which could impact the outcome of said rating?
Good question. I'd love to see the full details of precisely how the rating system works. I can only determine so much of its workings externally using various analytical tools.

Quote:
What is the constant variable that makes different round ratings comparable within different courses and rounds played and even times played?
Refer back to answer 1.. sample size. With a large enough sample size, theoretically even the relative differences between courses can be reduced to (the same) averages. Just to throw out a few numbers, we know from experience that, in ~90% of rounds, players shoot +/- 3 (on your typical par SSA ~50 course) of their 'averaged' performance. So providing you have enough propagators, and again enough of them performing within their average range of ability, all of the variables should cancel out. Again, theoretically.

Quote:
How could you change the current ratings system to make it simpler or easier to understand and evaluate?
Simpler? I wouldn't. Just making it more transparent of a process would help right there, but I'm not of the opinion that even the existing PDGA method is complex-enough to truly accurately capture what is happening in a field of disc golfers. I could write a whole post on the topic, but there are a number of fundamental assumptions/simplifications that the PDGA system makes that I believe are problematic (i.e. the system could be more accurate than it is, but it would also be more complex).
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 PM
FROLF OFF!

one of the better responses I have ever seen to an OP.

+1 brownie points and a from me for that one! Well done'
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 PM
FROLF OFF!

Then again most of what you state is why the weather is wrong 4 days out of 7 here'

theoretically-- the death of reality.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

The real question is how much of the ratings system do you actually understand? It's a little hard to tell from your 5 posts so far in this thread whether you understand that the formula doesn't explicitly try to account for weather or any other variables. It only looks at the scores of the players in that particular round and uses those along with the players' existing ratings to come up with numbers for that round. I agree with jeverett that it would be cool to have a little more transparency, especially in some of the edge cases that come up, but that doesn't mean it's a broken system, it just means that different people might make slightly different compromises between the competing aims of consistency, accuracy and giving a rating for every single sanctioned round.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
FROLF OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
The real question is how much of the ratings system do you actually understand? It's a little hard to tell from your 5 posts so far in this thread whether you understand that the formula doesn't explicitly try to account for weather or any other variables. It only looks at the scores of the players in that particular round and uses those along with the players' existing ratings to come up with numbers for that round. I agree with jeverett that it would be cool to have a little more transparency, especially in some of the edge cases that come up, but that doesn't mean it's a broken system, it just means that different people might make slightly different compromises between the competing aims of consistency, accuracy and giving a rating for every single sanctioned round.
From the outside in, oh great one, the ratings system is weak and you see it but help us all who don't, PLEASE!

So if you are 800 and im 1000 I will throw 20 strokes better than you?

Basically I am asking WHAT is there to understand.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 PM
FROLF OFF!

If it helps you understand where I am coming from its all hypothetical as in if the ratings system is basically a theory then its either a part of a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena or a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.