Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,064 Posts

Glad this thread has helped a few folks out... thought I'd bump it up to get this info in front of people who've been paying more than they need to mail discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm View Post
I had three discs (mid/putter/driver) shipped to me a few weeks back in a bubble mailer envelope. The usps must have set something on them and the midrange left a unfixable groove in the putter. I will not ship that many discs in a bubble mailer ever again.
Maybe a couple of thick rubber bands at 90 degree angles with the discs stacked in the right order would prevent that?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

flat rate is supposed to include shipping. I use bubble mailers and still dont purchase shipping, but the tracking number still prints on the receipt. The lady at the post office and I, are now on a first name basis because I ship from there all the time lately. She told me that if you dont purchase shipping, the number that prints is "for her to look it up, you have to purchase shipping to get a number that will work at home." She then told me "but thats not really true, the number doesnt change, you can track it." Shes a cutie lol
Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 323 Times in 162 Posts

Has anyone tried just putting the postage and address info on the disc (adhesive)? I mean, it's a disc. Who cares if it gets a few scuff and scratches? It might even be pre-beat in when it arrives!

Another idea: "gift wrap" it with plain brown paper instead of an envelope. Surely a roll of paper would be cheaper than envelopes?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts

I have to ship all the prizes from Okthrowberfest next week.... 88 discs and about 30 miscellaneous items.... I'm terrified of what the final tally will be!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Hell yeah.

PayPal "secret" ship now link, 3$ and change every time. Tracking always works even if you don't pay for it. Can make your own envelope with paper bags and bubble wrap.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

$3.22 is the best I have been able to do on a single disc. I use manila envelopes and small plastic bags that cost next to nothing a piece for used discs. Disc goes in plastic bag, then is wrapped in a manila envelope cut to size. Then the wrapped disc goes into a regular manila envelope with packing tape at the seams to ensure it stays closed.

Anyone find a rate lower than $3.22/disc?

Last edited by HiFi; 10-31-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

here's a way to ship about 10 discs USPS Priority Mail with all the packaging for free.

Priority Mail has the medium flat rate box that will fit about 5-6 discs easily, but it costs $11+ for flat rate shipping.

they also have this regional rate box.. You are allowed to modify any non-flat rate box though.

So if you bend the regional rate box in half then fold it like a symmetrical square then you can fit even large diameter discs such as the comet or roc into it. You also can use the pre-existing adhesive flaps to close one end.

From there you put the amount of discs you need shipped cut down the corners into 4 flaps and close.

in the pictures below I shipped 10 discs with the regional box you could fit about 20 discs and still have enough box to cut down and close neatly.

10 discs comes out to about 3.5 pounds all in all with the box/label/tape. it depends on where your shipping but using this method is going to be cheaper then trying flat rate (the medium sized only fits 6 discs and cost $11). From east coast to west coast (vice versa) its about $8-$9, and midwest or nearer is around $7 to ship 4 pounds.

other tips:

- take a roll of that priority mail tape at the post office. if you use it for priority mail then you don't have to feel guilty and are not wasting anything anyway. its really thin, but surprisingly light/durable/and SUPER STICKY.

- i use the custom's declaration envelope to put my priority shipping label into. its so easy to just print my shipping label using normal paper and slipping the label into the clear pouch. they're just the same as the UPS/FedEx plastic envelopes that have a pouch you can slide your label into. They are also super duper sticky/adhesive. You can order bunches of 50 for free from the USPS website.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is genius.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
here's a way to ship about 10 discs USPS Priority Mail with all the packaging for free.

Priority Mail has the medium flat rate box that will fit about 5-6 discs easily, but it costs $11+ for flat rate shipping.

they also have this regional rate box.. You are allowed to modify any non-flat rate box though.

So if you bend the regional rate box in half then fold it like a symmetrical square then you can fit even large diameter discs such as the comet or roc into it. You also can use the pre-existing adhesive flaps to close one end.

From there you put the amount of discs you need shipped cut down the corners into 4 flaps and close.

in the pictures below I shipped 10 discs with the regional box you could fit about 20 discs and still have enough box to cut down and close neatly.

10 discs comes out to about 3.5 pounds all in all with the box/label/tape. it depends on where your shipping but using this method is going to be cheaper then trying flat rate (the medium sized only fits 6 discs and cost $11). From east coast to west coast (vice versa) its about $8-$9, and midwest or nearer is around $7 to ship 4 pounds.

other tips:

- take a roll of that priority mail tape at the post office. if you use it for priority mail then you don't have to feel guilty and are not wasting anything anyway. its really thin, but surprisingly light/durable/and SUPER STICKY.

- i use the custom's declaration envelope to put my priority shipping label into. its so easy to just print my shipping label using normal paper and slipping the label into the clear pouch. they're just the same as the UPS/FedEx plastic envelopes that have a pouch you can slide your label into. They are also super duper sticky/adhesive. You can order bunches of 50 for free from the USPS website.
That bit with the Priority Mail Regional Rate is slick! Wish I'd read it before I sent out the VIP X-mas in July package.
I like the Customs Form Envelope, too.