View Poll Results: Neutron vs Proton?
Neutron Plastics 27 60.00%
Proton Plastics 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspeak View Post
I've actually noticed that I've felt very similar to this. My drivers have been Neutron, and then I picked up a proton envy, eclipse ion.

My mid's have been conflicted, having tangents in neutron, and vectors in proton (mostly due to buying a misprint pack). I am thinking of consolidating though, and keeping things to a standard. I picked up a crave in proton, and I am not sure if I'm as crazy about the proton in drivers. Very conflicting!
To continue on this.. I can't decide if when buying new discs (Kind of looking to put together an order right now.) If it bothers me enough to where I will skip getting discs if they don't have my desired weights in one plastic, but they do have it in the other.. I am thinking that I don't care THAT much. Just wondering if people more familiar than I have seen proton or neutron being more stable than another, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 178 Times in 118 Posts

Sometimes I throw an all Proton bag and sometimes all Neutron. Other times its mixed. Lovin the Sparkle Proton Inertia. Can't really say what I like about one over another, they are both great plastics that are super durable. Would say I'm on the fence here about it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

The feel of Neutron improves pretty quickly, that sort of "sheen" it has wears off fairly quick, and it's grippier new than when it first came out. Neutron also seasons a little faster. I also prefer it mostly for the drivers. It has an early break-in phase where it hits a sweet spot in about a month give or take, then stays there for basically ever.

If you want true turny US mid, the only option is a N tangent, or maybe Axis, and beat the crap out of it.

I putt with soft P which has a pretty unique feel, so I'm probably ruined for any other plastics for putting, and pretty much the anchor of my bag is Eclipse Axis, i.e. proton core.

I guess because I play like 85% wooded holes around here, I throw my putters/mids much more, so I like the slower wear of P for those discs, and I was always a Z/Cryztal Buzzz guy before, so the premi mids are where I'm at. The one exception in this category is the N Envy. I bag an N and P, but the N is pretty beat up and is the best disc ever.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,170 Times in 593 Posts

Welcome to DGCR.

I prefer Neutron over Proton because it feels a little grippier, and glides a touch more.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

For me it seems Protons hold their stability longer, and seem a touch more stable off the shelf. My Eclipse Tangent is as stable as my brand new Neutron Tangent and my Eclipse has seen a year of play.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Proton is my least favorite plastic of all manufacturers. Slick as otter snot or even owl **** after a light drizzle.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Welcome to DGCR.
Thank you! Been lurking for a little while, seen lots of your posts haha.

Quote:
I prefer Neutron over Proton because it feels a little grippier, and glides a touch more.
Have you felt there is much of a stability difference?
Or the durability difference that some others are mentioning?
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Proton is my least favorite plastic of all manufacturers. Slick as otter snot or even owl **** after a light drizzle.
New poll: which is slicker, Otter Snot or Owl ****
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 69
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspeak View Post
Just wondering if people more familiar than I have seen proton or neutron being more stable than another, etc.
I'd personally say that, generally speaking, no, there's not a TON of difference in flight off the shelf between P and N.

And even though P seems more durable than N, I'd say it's a bit less so than the difference between Champ and Star, for example.

I haven't tested this theory enough to be sure, but I swear E Axis and the one E Volt I had (RIP) were more OS than either reg P or N for those molds. For me, a fresh E Axis starts out like 0, 1.75 and takes a while to get to -1, 1. The E Volt seems almost as beefy as a half-seasoned Shock when I got it, and it seasoned reeeealy slow, unitl it did finally get into this really sweet flight....and then I threw it into the middle of a lake, skipping it off a ski ramp, @ Trophy Lakes.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Very true, and something I didn't even think to consider in this question..
I have noticed this as well.. Really gives my towel a work out some days.