Old 05-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Understable Mid from Axiom/MVP?

I'm getting ready to order an Atom putter and would also like to try an understable midrange disc from MVP/Axiom.

My overstable mid (Verdict) and straight mid (Buzzz SS...I know it's rating is -2/1 but my Z flies incredibly straight for me) are set.

After working on my form for several days this week it seems the only flight I can't get consistent with is my right turn (RHBH) disc. It seems like all of the ones I have either don't turn enough for me or else turn and burn. I'm hoping to find one from Axiom/MVP that allows me to throw at about 80% and get a nice gradual right turn flight out of it.

When I go to look at the Understable Mids from Axiom/MVP it seems like one website gives a -2/1 rating for a couple of them while another website gives a -1/1 rating for the same disc. So right now I'm pretty confused.

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Axiom/MVP line of understable mids and which one might give me the flight I'm looking for at 75-80% power?

Thank you!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 49
Niced 471 Times in 316 Posts

They don't have many understable offerings. The Vertex is crazy flippy to the point of being really hard to control. The Axiom Theory is pretty damn good. Understable enough to hyzerflip easily, but don't turn into an accidental throwller too easily. It really reminds me of my favorite understable mid, the Prodigy M4. Easy to control, doesn't go wild and burn over on you, great glide, just an all around great understable mid that can shoot laser beam flips or big gentle sweeping turnovers.

If you're looking for understable and sticking to Gyro for some reason, check out a Theory. No doubt.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Axiom Theory is my go-to for this slot in the bag...

Old 05-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,168 Times in 592 Posts

I'd go with the Vertex. If the Buzzz SS goes straight, and you want turn at 75%, then you want something pretty understable, right?

Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

You picked up a Fuse, right? How is that flying or not flying for you? That's definitely one of the go to's for an understable mid in the speed 5ish type. I feel like for discs you currently have Verdict -> Emac -> Buzzz SS -> Fuse are all very even jumps in stability, not saying that you need to bag all those, but just for reference is that how they fly? I haven't thrown a lot of gyro molds, but of the ones I have tried, their biggest strength is STRAIGHT.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,067 Times in 533 Posts

Tangent is a nice slightly understable mid while not being too flippy

Old 05-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

The Tangent. Thrown underpowered, it's dead straight. Thrown with some power, it'll drift/turn for you.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
They don't have many understable offerings.
If you're looking for understable and sticking to Gyro for some reason, check out a Theory. No doubt.
I noticed that...and they don't have as many as I first thought they did. On one website it shows 2 of them as -2/1 while on another website they show those same disc as -1/1: and in looking at the reviews the -1/1 seems to be more accurate!

I'll definitely take a look at the Theory: in your opinion, is Neutron or Plasma the better plastic choice in the Theory?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
I'd go with the Vertex. If the Buzzz SS goes straight, and you want turn at 75%, then you want something pretty understable, right?
I'm not sure if I have an oddball Z Buzzz SS or what...it seems to go perfectly straight (even though it's a -2/1) whether I throw it at 75% of 95%. But then I have other discs such as the Comet (-2/1) that turn and burn on me if I try to give them any power at all. I worry that if I go -3/1 then the disc will definitely turn and burn on my like my Stratus does.

I'm in a state of confusion with what some of my disc are doing right now....because I think my form is as consistent as it's been since I started about 8 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
You picked up a Fuse, right? How is that flying or not flying for you? That's definitely one of the go to's for an understable mid in the speed 5ish type. I feel like for discs you currently have Verdict -> Emac -> Buzzz SS -> Fuse are all very even jumps in stability, not saying that you need to bag all those, but just for reference is that how they fly? I haven't thrown a lot of gyro molds, but of the ones I have tried, their biggest strength is STRAIGHT.
I do...it's been pretty inconsistent for me so far...well, as far as what it does at different power levels. About 1 out of every 5 throws it has this beautiful and gradual turn to the right. About 2 out of every 5 throws it turns over way more than I'm expecting it to. And the other two it goes perfectly straight. I know it's user error but other disc don't seem to be quite as sensitive to my form.

My EMAC Truth is a a very versatile disc: 95% power it goes perfectly straight, 80% or less and it has a beautiful fade that's between my Verdict and my Buzzz SS. If I were more confident with my form it would probably be in my bag...but right now I'm trying to throw everything around 75-80% and let the disc tell me how they are going to fly at that power level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Tangent is a nice slightly understable mid while not being too flippy
Thanks! Is there much of flight difference between Proton, Neutron, and Plasma plastics in the Tangent?

I appreciate everyone's input!

TripleB
Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

The more understable the disc, the more it is affected by bad form.

Honestly, you should continue working with the Comet, Fuse, and BuzzzSS. There's nothing you're going to gain from trying a bunch of different discs here until your form improves.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts

I tried to like the Theory, but it never felt comfortable in my hand. I ended up settling on a Warrant for that slot because it just feels right in my hand. It's still relatively new, but I imagine it will become too flippy eventually. My straight mid workhorse is a Truth and will likely slide into that US slot as it beats in some more.