Old 11-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 37
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts
Default Super Class Discs

Have you seen the lead story on the PDGA web site about Super Class Discs? http://www.pdga.com

It appears the PDGA wants to encourage the use of regular old catch frisbees for disc golf. Retro disc golf I guess.

The logic the PDGA cites for this idea makes sense and I will probably give it a try; but I remember the old days of playing target golf with yard frisbees and I don't think I really want to go back.

There's a local course in my town that's probably perfect for playing with catch frisbees. OK - it would be a new challenge, but so what? Why give up the advances in disc technology the last 25 years just because the new discs make older courses easier? Is there really a problem that needs to be fixed when advanced players regularly shoot 4-5 under on a course?

Any opinions about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

I used to love playing with my old 165G frisbee. It sounds like a fun concept. I would probably be better at that than at regular DG.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Have you seen the lead story on the PDGA web site about Super Class Discs? http://www.pdga.com

It appears the PDGA wants to encourage the use of regular old catch frisbees for disc golf. Retro disc golf I guess.

The logic the PDGA cites for this idea makes sense and I will probably give it a try; but I remember the old days of playing target golf with yard frisbees and I don't think I really want to go back.

There's a local course in my town that's probably perfect for playing with catch frisbees. OK - it would be a new challenge, but so what? Why give up the advances in disc technology the last 25 years just because the new discs make older courses easier? Is there really a problem that needs to be fixed when advanced players regularly shoot 4-5 under on a course?

Any opinions about this?
I dont think they are giving up the technology advances of the last 25 years. Its just a different type of tournament for peolpe to play. For some people who grew up playing with frisbees its a fun reminiscent way to play. Ive seen some local tournaments that are for "lids" only. I dont think it will take away from the sport, actually I think it will be fun.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Back in the day" I could consistently put a frisbee in the net of a basketball goal from the other end of the court. We played in the practice courts of the college coliseum when the weather was bad. Sounds like it would add another dimension to the sport. From the article it would be a separate competition class so no need to worry about continuing to develop disc technology, plus, we have an excuse to buy complete new sets of discs (as if we need excuses to buy more discs) and try something new.
If playing with "Super Discs" is a lot slower than with regular golf discs I could see where some adjustments in course etiquette could be necessary but we'll figure that out quickly enough.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed...I don't think it's an attempt to "move away" from anything, just a way to diversify the game...kinda like mini golf. Personally I'm looking forward to playing one of these events. I used to throw a Zephyr around at the course just for fun, and I'm curious to see what I can do with it when I'm actually trying

Also looking forward to seeing some new Super Class discs in premium plastics
Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 229
Niced 32 Times in 6 Posts

Gives the old players a chance to catch up the young ones who can throw far but have no real skill whatsoever.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I read elswhere that they are also hoping to introduce more people to the sport with this class.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
I think I read elswhere that they are also hoping to introduce more people to the sport with this class.
I've seen many people who really dont know anything about the game out playing on the course with a frisbee just junking around. Once you explain the game to them they get really interested. I think this will bring more players to the game.
Also having played ultimate in college, it is possible to get some serious distance out of a ultimate styled disc so It would be really interesting to see some ultimate players getting involved in these types of tourneys.

I also have to agree, I too am looking forward to seeing some of the new super class discs in premium plastics. Its a great excuse to buy some new discs
Old 11-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 37
Niced 25 Times in 10 Posts

Oh yeah - I realized it's just another class of competition the PDGA wants to add in addition to the disc golf we know and love. I was thinking about myself personally. I don't think I'd want to play Super Class except as a novelty.

I like old music, but new technology is generally an improvement. It's hard for me to see this retro disc golf taking off.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it looks like a good way to make some of the shorter courses a lot tougher. DG has kind of progressed the same as regular golf in that technological advances in equipment have made the course so short that on some of them they have had to add tees that are further back just to keep up.

This class would be a great way to put a course in on a smaller piece of real estate and yet keep it challenging as well.