Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 AM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default The Ruru (aka RPM Dagger)

"The Ruru is RPM’s dedicated Putter a stable flight path with a very small late fade. The Ruru has a small bead and a deep Rim and comes in 4 different plastic types and with many effects."

Any thoughts on this disc? I was particularly excited to give it a try as I putt with the L64 dagger.

I purchased 2 in strata (base/dx) and 1 in atomic (star/gstar) and am really excited to wear them in a little. The strata putters have significant dome compared to the atomic, and I got to putt with the stratas today. I'll post an in-depth review with pictures comparing dome and comparing to the dagger very soon as a reply in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

Any chance you have tried these out yet?

I am interested in trying one out too.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have! Unfortunately my phone is broken so for the time being I can't take pictures of the strata vs atomic dome or do a visual comparison of ruru vs dagger.

My first thoughts are that the ruru itself has a great feel and is indeed very dagger-esque. I have smaller hands so the ruru felt more comfortable in my hands than the dagger. If I had to compare the feel, it would be like comparing the MVP envy with the S-P2: the envy is much more slim, feels like a mid almost, and the S-P2 is deeper and a bit more difficult to power grip for smaller hands. Both extraordinary driving putters respectfully.

The dagger has a higher PLH and the bead is more pronounced than the ruru. The dagger itself is deeper, but, with the strata dome the ruru felt deeper to the grip the further I got away from the rim: I put my pointer finger on the bead and other 3 fingers gripping the flight plate. I'll post the comparisons as soon as I'm able.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:47 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Plastic
The Strata feels like a cheaper dx plastic; on arrival one of the rurus was bent from being packaged tightly, but, I brought it right back to normal with just bending it slightly with my hands. The strata has a very noticeable dome while the atomic is dead flat like a dagger. The plastic also got marked up very easily after one round of putting. As for the atomic plastic I would liken the it to the perfect combination of star/gstar. It is super grippy like gstar but less "floppy". I plan on doing a one-disc round with the atomic to get a better sense of the disc in general.

I'm very interested to get a Ruru in every plastic type (magma sounds like it'll be akin to fossil/eraser, cosmic sounds like champion/icon). Zero hard feels MUCH nicer than strata.

Putting
The Ruru putts precisely like a slightly more stable dagger (My putting style is just imitating Ricky, it's coming along quite well). The flight numbers 3,3,0,1 fit very well (dagger is 2,4,0,2). Using the dagger for long putts, if I didn't give the disc enough pop the fade might seem more like a baby dump: this is evident for giving the dagger a lot of loft or missing the basket short. The Ruru on the other hand had noticeably less lateral movement on long putts where I came short or had a lot of loft. This translated to not accounting for as much fade that would be there with a dagger.

For shorter putts 15 feet and inside there was virtually no difference. I imagine I will find more differences as I play a few more rounds with the ruru. My daggers are beat in just a wee bit, the rurus were fresh. I'm excited to see how the strata rurus season, more buttery glide = minimum fade dagger hopefully!! It's late at night and this is all I can think of at the moment haha
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

Dang it. I decided to order before I saw this and just grabbed a Strata. Now I wish I had of grabbed a Magma.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
Dang it. I decided to order before I saw this and just grabbed a Strata. Now I wish I had of grabbed a Magma.
Be sure to let me know what your thoughts are once you get to try it out for a little bit

Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,289 Times in 755 Posts

I have a few RURU in Platinum as throwers and MAGMA as putters.

Intrested to try the Strata or the Scented Strata as putters. . .anyone tryed the Magma vs Strata as putters?