Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
5. Wear cotton. This might be a personal one but dri-fits feel like I'm wearing burlap when it's humid. Old-fashioned, light colored cotton just works so much better.
Your advice, except for this one, is solid.

Once cotton gets wet - and for people like me it will be soaked within 15 minutes of starting a round this time of year - it's absolutely miserable, and heavy to wear. There's tons of dri-fit material to choose from out there, most of the ones I buy are quite soft and keep me much cooler than cotton (Russel athletic brand from walmart...don't have to spend a ton of money for good dri-fit clothes)
Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,144 Times in 1,063 Posts

Agree with everything Vick said.

Dave's spot on with all of it, but...

In weather that's particularly hot or humid, nothing holds sweat like cotton. I've had regular cotton tee shirts that felt like I'd gone swimming.

There are a bunch of wicking, quick drying materials that are more comfortable when I sweat like a pig. The thing for me is they have to be loose fitting - probably even oversized. I just can't be comfortable with anything remotely snug fitting in sweatbox conditions.

That said, it ain't like Dave's locale makes him a foreigner to heat & humidity. If he's more comfortable in cotton, win for him. Maybe he doesn't sweat as much as I do.

Personal preference is... well... personal.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

sorta with the above. cheap Russell dri-fits are good if you're out there for 5-6 hours at a time. you can even soak them, squeeze them out, and put them back on if you want.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Dri-fits feel awful to me because they don't breathe. I'd much rather have a cotton shirt soaked in sweat. That's not necessarily a bad thing and why desert people wear turbans because keeping sweat against the skin gives a full cooling effect and reduces your water loss. As a historical side note, the Spanish conquistadors felt the same way. When they came to the New World they abandoned their woolen tunics (wool is an excellent wicking material like Dri-fits) and adopted these newfangled cotton tunics (especially cotton armor) the natives were wearing b/c the wool was making them itchy and miserable in the jungle (which is exactly how I feel in dri-fits). Plus Dri-fits smell awful.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
in 85+ temps.
85? Haha

Old 07-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 68
Niced 133 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Dri-fits feel awful to me because they don't breathe. I'd much rather have a cotton shirt soaked in sweat. That's not necessarily a bad thing and why desert people wear turbans because keeping sweat against the skin gives a full cooling effect and reduces your water loss. As a historical side note, the Spanish conquistadors felt the same way. When they came to the New World they abandoned their woolen tunics (wool is an excellent wicking material like Dri-fits) and adopted these newfangled cotton tunics (especially cotton armor) the natives were wearing b/c the wool was making them itchy and miserable in the jungle (which is exactly how I feel in dri-fits). Plus Dri-fits smell awful.
I agree that most Dri-fits suck because they don't breathe. The best shirts for golf in sweltering temps are loose weave synthetic or blended shirts. Some traditional golf polo's have this loose weave. They resolve the breathability issues that most dri-fits tend to have, and they never get soaking wet.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
I agree that most Dri-fits suck because they don't breathe. The best shirts for golf in sweltering temps are loose weave synthetic or blended shirts. Some traditional golf polo's have this loose weave. They resolve the breathability issues that most dri-fits tend to have, and they never get soaking wet.
The best shirt in high heat and humidity is no shirt at all.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post

I swear by golf polos with UPF 50 protection.

Those cooling towels are terrific. Broad-rimmed hat, solar sleeves, umbrella are also super helpful here where UV and high heat is more of a problem than humidity. Solar protection clothing is definitely worth trying, if you haven't given it a shot.

When it gets hot here, I have to break out all the tricks, breathing through my nose, start hydrating the day before, rests in any shade, etc. But, maybe the most helpful thing is a positive, non-conceptualizing mindset.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
The best shirt in high heat and humidity is no shirt at all.
Must be nice to live somewhere that mosquitos won't kill you if you aren't covered up.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Anyone ever tried a fishing shirt, with the open slat in the back?