Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I had poor luck with the Escape too. VERY flippy. Easily -4. I'd throw them hyzer and they'd bomb off right and never come back. I won't say they're quite as flippy as a Roadrunner, but damn close. The Getaway flies true to the numbers. Maybe -0.5 on high speed turn. DD needs to significantly update the flight numbers on the Escape and Renegade. Both have significantly more high speed turn than stated on the disc.
You throw pretty far though, right? Like 400+ for fairway drivers? I just don't think the Escape is designed to be a workhorse fairway for people with your arm speed. I throw them smooth and controlled at 300' really consistently and can power them up to 330'. I don't think I've ever really tried to get them further than that.*** But for my form at least, I would rather start discing up to something in the Speed 11 range if I need to throw more than 330'.

BTW, agree with you on the Renegade. That disc absorbs absolutely no power. I can throw a neutral midrange with more force. It's a standstill driver or roller disc only for me. Easily my least favorite DD disc.

***Correction. I just checked in uDisc and I've measure some Escape throw over 350' during fieldwork. However, I stand by my initial statement that I prefer them in the 300'-350' range. Carry on.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by aphilso1; 02-27-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: checked uDisc measurements
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Eagle Member

^^^Dang it. I tried getting my correction in too fast and typed poorly. Meant that I prefer Escapes from 300'-330', even though I've measure throws with them over 350' during fieldwork. Typing is difficult.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 676 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
You throw pretty far though, right? Like 400+ for fairway drivers? I just don't think the Escape is designed to be a workhorse fairway for people with your arm speed. I throw them smooth and controlled at 300' really consistently and can power them up to 330'. I don't think I've ever really tried to get them further than that.*** But for my form at least, I would rather start discing up to something in the Speed 11 range if I need to throw more than 330'.

BTW, agree with you on the Renegade. That disc absorbs absolutely no power. I can throw a neutral midrange with more force. It's a standstill driver or roller disc only for me. Easily my least favorite DD disc.

***Correction. I just checked in uDisc and I've measure some Escape throw over 350' during fieldwork. However, I stand by my initial statement that I prefer them in the 300'-350' range. Carry on.
I suppose I throw pretty far. I won't pretend to be Paul McBeth, but I can get a Thunderbird out near 400' on a good rip.

You could be right. Maybe I'm just throwing the Escape too hard. Thing was, it didn't seem like I was trying that hard when I threw them. I soured on that disc quick and gave up on it. The Renegade (as mentioned) was even worse. Flippiest damn thing I've ever seen.

I like fairway drivers that absorb power well. Stuff like the Getaway, Musket, Explorer, Teebird, and Thunderbird. All of those respond well to hard throws without getting flippy. My 2 workhorse fairway drivers are a champion Thunderbird and Teebird. The Teebird gives me the same flight as the Thunderbird, but about 20' shorter.

If I want something SLIGHTLY flippy I'll throw a Convict or FD. Neither of those are good in wind though.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 AM
Eagle Member

Stability question: anyone thrown the Special Edition (SE) plastic blend Getaways, and if so, how does it compare to normal Fuzion plastic? My local shop has a few SE's left. I'm planning on going in to pick up a fresh Biofuzion and backup Fuzion Getaway, but might grab an SE for kicks and giggles instead of the Fuzion.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Years Playing: 3.4
Niced 4 Times in 1 Post

I throw Saints and Convicts in that 9 speed slot but am very interested the Getaway. I have a fuzion burst and an SE one ready to try out. I'm just waiting to work with the Getaway. My question is, how does the Getaway compare to those discs i currently throw? I've read that it might replace both of them with one disc. True or not? I average 300' with my Saints for reference.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 676 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggins View Post
I throw Saints and Convicts in that 9 speed slot but am very interested the Getaway. I have a fuzion burst and an SE one ready to try out. I'm just waiting to work with the Getaway. My question is, how does the Getaway compare to those discs i currently throw? I've read that it might replace both of them with one disc. True or not? I average 300' with my Saints for reference.
If you're only throwing a Saint 300', a Getaway is going to feel pretty clunky and overstable. Getaways like to be thrown hard, and you'll probably need 360' power to really flatten them out.

The Getaway might be too much disc for you.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

Getaways are very similar to Thunderbirds if you've thrown Thundies for reference. Or relative to a Convict, the Getaway has much more HSS but similar LSS. A beat in Getaway flies very similar to a fresh Convict, something akin to 9/5/-1.5/2.5.
If you're looking for a direct Convict replacement then buy a Biofuzion Getaway around 5g lighter than you normally throw; it'll beat in relatively quickly to the flight #'s above. Or if you want a more wind resistant complement to your Convict, then congratulations because your new Fuzion Getaway is perfect for that role.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

Picked up a fuzion burst Getaway (171) a few weeks ago and got to throw it a few times this weekend finally. For reference, I throw saints/escapes around the 325-350 range. Was looking for something I could lay into pretty hard when I know I can't afford to wind up going right (rhbh). First throw with it was on about a 280' hole slightly uphill. Junk to the right and a nice bailout area to the left. Ripped it hard (~85%) flat and it went dead straight then finished just left of the basket.

Second throw was a forehand of roughly the same distance. The hole had heavy trees/rough all up the right then opened up to the right close to the basket. Got it a little higher than I liked which started the fade a little soon but not dumpy at all. Just held a slight hyzer then I thought it dumped into the heavy rough. Looked for it for 30 minutes then finally gave up. Walked up past the rough to the basket and it was sitting 50' past where I thought it went in.

Loving it so far but I literally have those 2 throws with it. Need to get out to a field to really see what it can do. My thoughts on where it fits in my bag are for more stable duties than my escape but not quite as overstable as my felon. Thinking for drives where I need to get the disc out there (can't get my felon out too far before it hyzers hard) but need to ensure little to no hs turn.

I am curious how it beats in. Hoping the LS goes first.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
If you're only throwing a Saint 300', a Getaway is going to feel pretty clunky and overstable. Getaways like to be thrown hard, and you'll probably need 360' power to really flatten them out.

The Getaway might be too much disc for you.
Seems to me like it would be a good option to throw into the wind the same way he might throw a Saint in the calm.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 97 Times in 76 Posts

How similar is the Getaway to an Orion LF?