Old 12-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 511 Times in 328 Posts

Something to keep in mind is that you will start to (sometimes erroneously) associate one of the factors with success, like for example I decided I wanted something more shallow after switching to Wizards from Rhynos. I liked the extra glide from the wiz, but didn't feel like I was getting consistent releases with the deep dish. Went to Judges for a while, a great choice for a shallow wizard.

Nothing wrong with judges, but one day I tossed a Dagger at a basket inside a local shop, and everything clicked. I putt Daggers all day now, the king of deep dish. Who woulda thunk? Moral of the story is, you can try to drill down and reason out what you seem to prefer, and go select "the perfect putter" based on your thought experiment conclusions, but sometimes it just comes down to trying stuff out.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 239 Times in 138 Posts

I finally settled on a putting putter. After starting this thread and searching for the right putter I got the idea to make a tool for making putter selection easier. It looks like dgputtheads beat me to it though.

https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/puttergrid.html

Niced: (3)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 298 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I finally settled on a putting putter. After starting this thread and searching for the right putter I got the idea to make a tool for making putter selection easier. It looks like dgputtheads beat me to it though.

Looks like they just launched the site. Great way to look for putters. I like the Flight Chart page with multiple discs comparisons, too.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,732 Times in 1,007 Posts

they should do a flight chart within 50 feet of basket for putter flights

Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 819 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Interesting website.

As always, when I look at these flight charts, I spend most of my time looking for stuff that I think could be improved a bit.

So, I think:
1. that a DD Suspect is not a putter.
2. Westside Shields and Gateway Wizards feel about the same depth.
3. Shields have a bit more stability than Wizards, and maybe much more when premium blends are compared.
4. Lat64 Daggers are almost entirely used by most as putters, thus not in the versatile category.
5. that a Chocolate Truth is also not a putter, and I question whether anyone at DG Puttheads actually threw one to determine its stability.

Obviously, I have some free time if I am bothering to making this post.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
they should do a flight chart within 50 feet of basket for putter flights
You're adorable, you know that? Just a treasure.

That tool is pretty neat tho.

I'll say it now so we can get it out of the way - no replacement for going and getting your hands on some putters and trying them out. OK? No need to drag this one out. No no no, FREEZE buddy, take your hands off the keyboard.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
4. Lat64 Daggers are almost entirely used by most as putters, thus not in the versatile category.

100% agree as I cannot think of a single other putter more specialized for circle putting in the calm (maybe the 10m brick). However I must admit that it makes a darn good upshot disc <200' in Zero Soft.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 819 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
100% agree as I cannot think of a single other putter more specialized for circle putting in the calm (maybe the 10m brick). However I must admit that it makes a darn good upshot disc <200' in Zero Soft.
Then, you are making a case that perhaps they are versatile discs.
I only used it as a putter; not sure I ever tried throwing it very far.

My results putting with it were...not quite a good as Ricky's.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Bead or no bead. Beveled edge or lid. Bullet nosed or blunt. Shallow or deep. Find out which you prefer in these categories grab a putter and make it work. You can make any putter work for you but you should definitely like the way it feels.
Forgot the Concave edge on discs like the Magnet, Clutch, Titanic and Hydra. Then also forgot the Sonic disc and other brands that make a fastback disc.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

I use Magnet as main putter but could use a shallow disc that is more shaped like a Avair type design with a bead/big bead since I use a #2 Upshot in Prostyle plastic for my uphill and downhill putting. However I would need a disc at max weight rather then 166 grams as my #2 Upshot is. I just can't in deeper putters use a Aviar type wing very well as those discs feel very deep in my hands. I might be able to use a Stiff Aviar shaped disc if it has a rather big bead like KC Pro Aviar, used to using a Magnet for putting.

I can also switch to another disc that has a concave for putting, Hydra as well should the Magnet and Titanic become OOP. The Clutch not as much as that disc has less glide then the Magnet from the two times I tried the Clutch in a store on a basket set up in the store. I realize I might need to try the really Stiff Clutch and then see.