Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 70 Times in 46 Posts
Default MVP/Axiom Fairway Driver Delineation and Descrimination Thread

MVP//Axiom have released a heap of fairway drivers in the past couple years. While it is great to see a company pumping out a variety of molds at oft-neglected speeds, trying to find a starting point on which combination would best fit your game is pretty mind boggling. Flight numbers are of no assistance here either as a quick glance would suggest a pile of nearly identical overlapping molds.

So what combos of molds and plastics do you use now, in the past, and perhaps hope to try out? How are all these little bit of turn and little bit of fade discs different?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,895 Times in 1,659 Posts

When I threw some...

Servo/Relay acted like the Teebird/Leopard combo for me.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,760 Times in 1,016 Posts

just grab a plaz volt

Niced: (2)
Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

I just tried a couple of Relays today for the first time and really liked them. On the course I played today they seemed to overlap with my Crave a lot. The Craves I have turn a little more than their ratings for me, and the Relays turned a little less. If I want to go with the Relay I need either a more stable Crave or perhaps a Clash would pair better.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
just grab a plaz volt
The only one I have is marked 175 and weighs 176.6. It flies nice, but heavy with a higher power requirement than I want for a fairway driver. Every Plasma Volt at my local retailer is marked 175 and feels heavy in the hand. My new flight numbers Proton Volt flies fine up to 350', but when pushed harder turns like a Valk. It's long but not very Voltish.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,895 Times in 1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I just tried a couple of Relays today for the first time and really liked them. On the course I played today they seemed to overlap with my Crave a lot. The Craves I have turn a little more than their ratings for me, and the Relays turned a little less. If I want to go with the Relay I need either a more stable Crave or perhaps a Clash would pair better.
Odd...my Relays were fliptastic.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Odd...my Relays were fliptastic.
That's sort of what I expected, especially after messing with the Signal. I was throwing my Relays flat on uphill shots and slight hyzer for flat straight shot with a little action. Anhyzers needed a touch of anny to hold. They did not want to flip/ride/fade like my Insanity at all...much more Leopard-like with a slow flip-to-lock with a late fade.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 57 Times in 37 Posts

I recently started using MVP//Axiom fairway discs out of honesty about my skills and game. The larger diameter of 5 speed discs throws me off and control over the flight of the disc deteriorates rapidly for me from 7 speed on up. So since they are the only company that takes the 6/7 speed disc seriously I am using them and am quite happy with the results. With them I can confidently make 300' +/- shots. I use:

N Resistor - OS disc for getting around obstacles and for dogleg sidearms.
N Crave - Stable disc that will simply go straight thrown either backhand or forehand.
N Relay - Stable/US disc that anhyzers really well. "Sky-Any" success rate has soared using the Relay. Nonetheless, it is not a naturally turning disc. I use a DC Sol for those shots.

I am also using a Proton and Electron Volt for basic drives greater than 300'. The P Volt replaced the DD Getaway and the E Volt replaced the DD Escape. They both handle the wind better than the high glide, DD discs.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

They have several very good ones, but you can cover a lot of lines with a Crave and Fireball.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 249 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMonk View Post
I recently started using MVP//Axiom fairway discs out of honesty about my skills and game. The larger diameter of 5 speed discs throws me off and control over the flight of the disc deteriorates rapidly for me from 7 speed on up. So since they are the only company that takes the 6/7 speed disc seriously I am using them and am quite happy with the results. With them I can confidently make 300' +/- shots. I use:

N Resistor - OS disc for getting around obstacles and for dogleg sidearms.
N Crave - Stable disc that will simply go straight thrown either backhand or forehand.
N Relay - Stable/US disc that anhyzers really well. "Sky-Any" success rate has soared using the Relay. Nonetheless, it is not a naturally turning disc. I use a DC Sol for those shots.

I am also using a Proton and Electron Volt for basic drives greater than 300'. The P Volt replaced the DD Getaway and the E Volt replaced the DD Escape. They both handle the wind better than the high glide, DD discs.
A good feeling 5 speed is the Matrix. Smaller diameter, straight to slight OS flight. You should like it

Niced: (1)