Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 202
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default PDGA Ratings

Anyone else hate waiting for ratings to come out every couple of months?? I think they should do it after each weekend of tournaments, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to make it happen. I know nothing about programming but I'd bet theres a way TDs could auto submit the results so that they are updated automatically once they are turned in.

Thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

It's a lot of work to make corrections etc. to td reports before they get processed for official results. I think I've heard chuck say that about 80% of the tournaments are filled out correctly and don't need much work to go straight into the system, but the others often need several emails back and forth with the td to figure out who played what layout in which round etc. It's a lot of work, and the people doing it are volunteers for the most part.

That said, it doesn't seem like the PDGA is all that good at using current technology to simplify things like this, there's probably a way to make a lot of it significantly less labor intensive, but that's speculation on my part.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,546 Times in 701 Posts

Some of the technology is there but we won't do it for practical reasons. First, there are manual processes that have to be done to verify course layouts, add new members and check member numbers plus get the fees and member renewals from the TDs. Second, players ratings don't change that fast. The average PDGA member only has 3 new rounds per every 2 months. We're already doing ratings updates every 6 weeks on average. Third, TDs would suffer knowing which ratings list they needed to look at for registration. With many events now having significant pre-reg, there would be all kinds of churn in the divisions amateurs would qualify for when they registered versus the date of the event. Fourth, TDs don't all post or send in reports at the same time as it is. Many more events would be processed out of order than they are now.