Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
The Samurai is one of the absolute longest flying distance drivers for medium low power players. When I first started playing I fell in love with them as I could hyzer flip them and they finished with a reliable fade. Now that I've developed some power they are harder to predict but if you hit them right....LOOK OUT BELOW.... they're gone.

I'd say this disc is one of those classic molds that get lost in the shuffle of Gateway but really deserves a look. I believe at one point it was deemed the "longest disc" but some flight chart service. Not sure how that is quantifiable but I remember the guys at the GDS shop being pretty excited about it edging out the big name drivers.
Pretty sure Stokely's new driver Train Wreck is a variation of this as well, who knows maybe it will find more love under the new moniker, I think because Slayer and Samurai were released close together and fly fairly similar it fell behind the more well known one, sort of like the way the Viking got overlooked for the Valkyrie.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I've tried both and personally I prefer the slayer. Also tried valks and Vikings and LOVE the Viking once you beat it in it holds that out of the box valk line forever.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 517 Times in 332 Posts

This is the most recently touched thread on these molds, so meh. Just received an email from Gateway about the retooled Samurai and Slayer (not sure if they are referring to both of these as retooled or just the Samurai - thanks to imprecise language). Apparently they feature a sandblasted wing to cut down on drag. Shoot, this actually sounds like a gimmick that could hold water... MMMMM, physics.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

Samurai is a nice disc, I thought it was comparable to a star Tern but a little more predictable.
The textured leading edge helps the air not "stick" to the wing. Many years ago I flew remote controlled sailplanes. The high end sailplanes all had textured leading edges to reduce drag and increase lift.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 676 Times in 534 Posts
Default Samurai

Threw a Samurai for the first time today. Actually, this is the first Gateway disc I've thrown in about 10 years. Zero clue what to expect out of it.

Its not a bad performer. Its E (evolution) plastic. I'm not ridiculously loving the plastic. It seems a little hard and fragile. Dings/scrapes easily. The disc itself reminds me of a Shryke or a Prodigy D3. A little high speed turn and good glide. At no point did I ever flip the Samurai over entirely. It seems resistant to total flipping. I ripped it flat and it would soar with a gentle S curve.

Fairly mellow flight. The Samurai has some high speed turn, but is resistant to total flipping. Distance-wise it was hanging with all the other high speed drivers I had in the field today. Also, the Samurai does well in light headwinds. I wasn't flipping it over and it held steady. The fade was mellow. The Samurai seems to fade gradually and not suddenly fall out of the air like a brick.

Speed-wise I'd put the Samurai at 12 or 13. Its fast, but not ridiculously so. At times the disc seems to fly sluggishly and catch too much air. Something like a Ballista is noticeably faster.

The Samurai rises when you release it. It seems to be a unique feature of this disc. I swear there were throws where the Samurai would come out low and hard and start rising. This was a good attribute, as it helped add distance to my throws.

Samurai: 12, 5, -1, 2. Pretty neutral numbers. The -1 on high speed turn is a bit misleading. It makes the disc seem more overstable than it is. The Samurai will see that -1 turn easily, but it won't ever seem to go beyond that, even on hard throws.

I'm not a huge fan of Evolution plastic. It reminds me of Discraft X. Kinda stiff and junky feeling. The disc itself is nice. I won't say it blows other drivers out of the water in distance or speed, but it might be worth a look for guys who like speed 13 bombers. The Samurai will bomb if you have the arm for it. This isn't a disc for weak arms. I wouldn't recommend it to new players either.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Forgot to mention distance. I was throwing the Samurai over 400' consistently. Top distance was probably 430'. Its somewhat deceptive distance too. I didn't feel like I had to massacre this disc to get it to fly well.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 74
Niced 137 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Evolution plastic.
Gateway's evo plastic is incredibly hit and miss. It is anywhere from kcpro to gummy champ to star. You really have to be specific ordering from them
Old 12-31-2018, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 312 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Gateway's evo plastic is incredibly hit and miss. It is anywhere from kcpro to gummy champ to star. You really have to be specific ordering from them
That was the case as recently as a couple years ago but over the past year they've really improved their premium plastic game. It's still not consistent run to run as far as the exact plastic blend, but instead of varying between champ to star to pro it now varies between champ/opto/goldline/star - very great feeling premium plastic that reminds me a lot of the trilogy stuff. They differentiate it now as Evo Platinum and Evo Diamond, with platinum being more along the lines of star/goldline and diamond being closer to champ/opto but you can sometimes get diamond plastic that is opaque/grippy closer to what you would expect from platinum.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
That was the case as recently as a couple years ago but over the past year they've really improved their premium plastic game. It's still not consistent run to run as far as the exact plastic blend, but instead of varying between champ to star to pro it now varies between champ/opto/goldline/star - very great feeling premium plastic that reminds me a lot of the trilogy stuff. They differentiate it now as Evo Platinum and Evo Diamond, with platinum being more along the lines of star/goldline and diamond being closer to champ/opto but you can sometimes get diamond plastic that is opaque/grippy closer to what you would expect from platinum.
The Samurai I have seems to be kind of like star, but of lesser quality. Opaque and stiff. It also seems to scuff/scrape easily. Mine doesn't differentiate between diamond or platinum either.

I liked the disc itself, but I've definitely seen better plastic.