Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,114 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
yep. minis are hard to hit that perfect spot really with a run-up. Its why I like to carry 2 of each mold around that I like to drive with.
Why is it harder to hit? The lie is the same size in both cases.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 02:14 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Yes, you can use your thrown disc to set your lie (Assuming you're not picking it up and throwing it), or you can use a marker in front of that disc.

Flipping your disc is illegal.

That rule never made much sense to me. If you flip your disc, the spot will be the exact same as if you put down a mini. If you leave the disc where it is, you get screwed by the diameter of the disc.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 62 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
My question too ...

I'm in favor of a larger lie. 30x30 (cm) sounds good to me.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 8
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA View Post
That rule never made much sense to me. If you flip your disc, the spot will be the exact same as if you put down a mini. If you leave the disc where it is, you get screwed by the diameter of the disc.
Because people were cheating that way. They'd flip their disc... and then if no one was looking, fliip it again... thus gaining a whopping 8ish inches closer to the basket...
Old 06-20-2015, 07:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to tstack10 Send a message via Yahoo to tstack10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA View Post
When I started about 12 years ago I was taught to do the flip and then throw behind it by all the experiences locals in Austin. Most of the times I play casual rounds with my buddies, but if we ever play for money and I bring up any rules I feel the give me the stink eye so i usually just let it go and beat their butts anyways. Lol
Old 06-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstack10 View Post
When I started about 12 years ago I was taught to do the flip and then throw behind it by all the experiences locals in Austin. Most of the times I play casual rounds with my buddies, but if we ever play for money and I bring up any rules I feel the give me the stink eye so i usually just let it go and beat their butts anyways. Lol
Same here - when I started in late 90's we always flipped our discs. Then when one or two of the guys started playing in sanctioned tournaments we started using minis.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,007 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
unless you actually practice (most players foot fault all day everyday outside of "tournament" style play and even then...LULZ) hitting the mini just adds a little more complexity to the throw vs being able to see a huge disc.

Maybe its just my black vibram mini is hard to see. Didn't mean the actual area is larger or anything, just mind games.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 57 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
The lie is the same, but its much easier to see a full-size disc in your peripheral vision than a mini. In the fairway and schule I always leave the driven disc as my marker unless I need to throw it again--for instance, #2 at Milo. But.I use minis for putting, for the closer distance, naturally.

Now, as for foot faulting, if you're trying to get as close as possible to the front edge of the tee, you're either gonna fault consistently or you will eventually injure yourself rolling your ankle off the lip of a raised tee. And if you're cranking up for an internet distance-worthy drive, starting 10-12" back from the edge makes no difference whatsoever, except to the little peabrained ego that rules many a mind (though close obstacles sometimes affect your position on the tee).

The last time I faulted a few years ago it was wet: I couldn't slow down and plant well, stepped on my wet disc and went down like a poleaxed mule, to much mirth among the card.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 72 Times in 42 Posts

A little trick for AMs. Use a mini that blends in with the ground you are playing on. I always try and plant directly behind my mini but sometimes you are a little off.Everyone foot faults but this makes it less obvious. I think most ppl don't call it because they themselves do it as well. Plus, as soon as you call someone on it, you start paying to much attention to your own plant foot.
Overall, I don't think the majority of foot faults are used to gain an advantage. So I feel it's not a big issue. If you have a tricky lie and miss your plant foot spot by a foot or more, I will say something.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 828
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Overall, I don't think the majority of foot faults are used to gain an advantage. So I feel it's not a big issue.
I really, really disagree with this attitude. The advantage gained on a fairway shot is in not putting the effort into hitting your lie exactly. When someone else is putting that effort in and you don't have to, that's an advantage.