Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Flying with a disc golf bag

Can anyone tell me whether you can or cannot get a full backpack style disc golf bag (or specifically the Lat 64 Luxury bag) onto a flight as carry on? Or do you have to check it?

Bonus points if you can state definitively for Air Canada / West Jet!

I am planning on playing at the Memorial this year and need to get my bag and discs out there. The bags don't collapse well and my discs are rather dear to me so I would like to empty out the bag save for the discs, and use it as my carry on bag. Checking it worries me, so my backup plan would be to fill it with clothes and then put the entire bag inside my suitcase, and take my discs in a carry on bag.

Yes, I've had a suitcase "lost" a few years back, so I am paranoid.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

Maximum size 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)
Wheels and handles included. 16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm
(6 in x 13 in x 17 in)

Air canada.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html
Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 350
Niced 424 Times in 166 Posts

Something to consider is whether the airline charges for each checked bag, and how much and whether it would be cheaper to have your stuff shipped.

Since you'll be crossing an international boundary, and you'll probably want to take your discs back home afterwards, I'd venture that answer is a definite no. Don't even get me started on customs.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:09 AM

Courses Played: 29
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have never been stopped to carry on my lat 64 luxury bag. Local US, international and local swedish airlines have all been fine with it. If you dont cram the sidepockets full it fits within the measurements.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've never had a problem carrying on back-pack bags - some o/h compartments are too small, but it always fits under the seat in front.

I also generally travel with my cart, it's a repurposed stroller and airlines fly those for free. Baggage handlers love it when they are checked normally vs. at the gate.... I was only ever questioned once about it (it has DG stickers all over it) and I just said the wife and kid were on another flight and I got stuck with the stroller...
Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 207 Times in 128 Posts

I've carried my golf-mahal on.. more than once, always internationally. That fits nicely in the overhead.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 112
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I always carry my Grip bag with me onboard. Never a problem. I had backups in my luggage and the Airlines lost my luggage for 3 weeks- the entire length of my vacation. Don't risk it. TSA out of Austin, TX was really onto my DG bag this trip for some reason. They said all my discs had metal in them and it was setting off the machine. I've never seen that anywhere else. Word of caution- If you are one of the last people to board a domestic flight, you likely will not have any room for a bag unless it goes under the seat in front of you. Might have to gate check it. People are bringing as much carry on as possible.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 149
Niced 54 Times in 19 Posts

I'm late to this, so it might not be of help, but I've carried my Simian on a few times without a hitch. The closest exception is that a row of discs look quite weird when x rayed (the denser edges show up but the centers don't; it looks like a weird cylinder), so my bag has been checked once or twice.

I've just avoided putting anything in the side pockets so they can smoosh down.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went through multiple airports over the holidays with my Grip B15 bag and never had an issue.

My girlfriend really hates my bag because of the digital camo color, which she doesn't find appealing. However, on our way out of Houston Hobby Airport it saved us from a long wait at the security line. While waiting in line, a TSA agent came up to me and asked if I was an active military member. I said not active military, but I that I am a veteran of the U.S. armed forces and showed her my I.D. card. She said thank you and sent us to the front of the line. Needless to say, I spent a good few minutes afterwards gloating to my girlfriend about my great taste in bag color.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 828
Niced 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88weeks View Post
I always carry my Grip bag with me onboard. Never a problem. I had backups in my luggage and the Airlines lost my luggage for 3 weeks- the entire length of my vacation. Don't risk it. TSA out of Austin, TX was really onto my DG bag this trip for some reason. They said all my discs had metal in them and it was setting off the machine. I've never seen that anywhere else. Word of caution- If you are one of the last people to board a domestic flight, you likely will not have any room for a bag unless it goes under the seat in front of you. Might have to gate check it. People are bringing as much carry on as possible.
Talked to an x-ray guy about that when he said the same to me. Apparently the metallic salts used for weighting agents show up as metal on the scanners. My wife's 150 class discs don't show up that way, they're clearly plastic to the screeners so my bag almost always gets an extra look and hers doesn't. Either way, it's never been an issue for me on several flights (including a few on Air Canada) once they take a peek inside and see they're just plastic discs.