Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,182 Times in 1,608 Posts

With all due respect to the very good advice to practice, the OP is still looking for the putter that best fits him. Sure he (and/or we) could practice until the cows come home, but what is being asked for is ideas for which putter is going to be the one the OP commits to and practices with. Of course the OP will have to make that decision, but throwing out some ideas based upon experience of the criteria the OP listed would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,595 Times in 1,648 Posts

If you like the hand feel of the Judge then that's still a good bet. It's very comfy and very neutral for being beaded.

A little stiffer but still with a potentially tacky grip, depending on plastic, is the Wizard....with the caveat that they are more stable than the Judge when new. Find some in a used bin and they'll already be worked in for you and have a good grip.

However if your putter is fading too much when in close then I would suggest to make sure you're putting the nose down a bit more. Although nose up can help get a little more glide, a slightly nose up spush putt will definitely fall left soon. I feel you need to be neutral to slightly nose down on a spush putt to get it to carry straight until it hits the basket or the ground.

You can also try something like an unbeaded Aviar/classic Aviar to get a benchmark for yourself...they are cheap and readily available. They are very neutral and have good glide, at the cost of no bead and being deeper than the Judge. Even if it's not your ideal hand feel you'll see then if it's you or the disc.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 255 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
...Id love a bead and prefer it to be hardish and tackyish.
XT Bullfrogs are hard and tacky when new (although that wears out quickly unless you wash them). They have a microbead if that's enough to fill your bead requirement.

I don't putt with them anymore, but still carry a Bullfrog as a straight throwing putter.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 427 Times in 312 Posts

KC/XT Whale? DX Mirage?
Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 140 Times in 105 Posts

Just use the putters you have and learn to putt better

Niced: (3)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,419 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
With all due respect to the very good advice to practice, the OP is still looking for the putter that best fits him. Sure he (and/or we) could practice until the cows come home, but what is being asked for is ideas for which putter is going to be the one the OP commits to and practices with. Of course the OP will have to make that decision, but throwing out some ideas based upon experience of the criteria the OP listed would be helpful.
So he can buy more putters and continue to putt low and short because he should be practicing instead of purchasing? I get your point, but the suggestion to practice is as viable of an option as pissing away some of his money for a new mold that will continue to come up short and/or low.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 718 Times in 320 Posts

As a reformed cage-hitting, frustrated putter person I would second the practice suggestions. Spent last winter/spring working on changing or tweaking my release. For me it was changing the release point to a higher point with a more nose down putt. Before I felt like I was often releasing it too low and giving it almost zero chance of clearing the cage. Just bringing it up a bit from say stomach level to chest level has greatly reduced my cage hits. A frustrating process at first but now my putting is better and making a lot more on the course.

Generally speaking, inside the circle it is mostly a confidence and technique thing more so than a putter mold thing. Find whatever putter feels great in your hand which helps with the confidence. Then dedicate some time to figuring out the technique side. Best of luck!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,182 Times in 1,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
So he can buy more putters and continue to putt low and short because he should be practicing instead of purchasing? I get your point, but the suggestion to practice is as viable of an option as pissing away some of his money for a new mold that will continue to come up short and/or low.
As a clarification: when I got into DG, I started with Aviar P&As. I practiced a lot, worked on my putting form and style... and remained uncomfortable and unhappy with my putting. So I tried the Judge, the Warden, and even the Wizard. The Wizard hit the cage a lot, and I did better with the Warden, so it won.

When I changed my putting style to more of a spin putt, I went to the beaded Marshal over the unbeaded Warden when the Marshal came out in Classic plastic. I also re-tried the Wizard, and had the same problem with it as before: I hit the cage a lot. The reason was because I was used to the slightly higher glide of the Judge, Warden, Deputy, and Marshal. I could practice with the Wizard forever and made it work, but the Marshal was a better fit for my putting style, and I've gone with it and been happy with it.

So that is the basis of what I posted: to make sure one knows what will fit one's putting style instead of trying to force the issue with a less-fitting putter. Practice does not make perfect; only permanent. Practice is great, but one has to practice with the right tool, or the practice is wasted.

TL;DR: Don't put the cart before the horse.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,419 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
As a clarification: when I got into DG, I started with Aviar P&As. I practiced a lot, worked on my putting form and style... and remained uncomfortable and unhappy with my putting. So I tried the Judge, the Warden, and even the Wizard. The Wizard hit the cage a lot, and I did better with the Warden, so it won.

When I changed my putting style to more of a spin putt, I went to the beaded Marshal over the unbeaded Warden when the Marshal came out in Classic plastic. I also re-tried the Wizard, and had the same problem with it as before: I hit the cage a lot. The reason was because I was used to the slightly higher glide of the Judge, Warden, Deputy, and Marshal. I could practice with the Wizard forever and made it work, but the Marshal was a better fit for my putting style, and I've gone with it and been happy with it.

So that is the basis of what I posted: to make sure one knows what will fit one's putting style instead of trying to force the issue with a less-fitting putter. Practice does not make perfect; only permanent. Practice is great, but one has to practice with the right tool, or the practice is wasted.

TL;DR: Don't put the cart before the horse.
Practice brings confidence. It's severely underrated in putting. You can't make it if you fear the comeback. I've putted the same mold for close to a decade though. I tried a lot and knew when I found it. Even when I was trying a bunch confidence was my biggest killer. How do I know that? They go in inside the circle now...in practice.

TL;DR: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

(Just being a smartass. I recognize we won't agree on this like everything else.)

Niced: (1)

Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Courses Played: 21
Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Colt or voodoo
Doesn't seem to be much love for the Colt but they are a money understable touch disc

Niced: (1)