Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 74 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I'd like a target that catches perfectly no matter the speed on the disc as long as it hits in the target area.
nooooo thank you! speed control is important in every other aspect of disc golf, it would be silly to remove it as a variable from putting
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-17-2018, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,027 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
First you tell me that Mach X's are what I'm proposing (when I clearly proposed a non-basket, non-chain type of target), and then you tell me that Mach X's have just as many spit out problems just not the same ones. I'd like a target that catches perfectly no matter the speed on the disc as long as it hits in the target area. And as you just said, Mach X's have problems just like any other current target design. And personally speaking, I tend to hit right-side chains pretty frequently which have a tendency to splash out whenever I play a local course with Mach X's. I'm not all that fond of them tbh.

I don't think that Mach X's are the answer, but honestly I'm not an inventor so I have no idea what would make an ideal target. I know what I'd like it to DO, not how I'd like it to work. Armchair quarterback extraordinaire here.
It seemed to me that you're calling for a solution or something that does it differently than what is current. What I'm telling you is that, IMO, any solution will involve compromises. The Mach X is a demonstration of that. IIRC, you proposed something that catches those fast close putts or allows them to happen such that they can't go through or are scored (maybe I'm incorrect) that solution creates other catch issues, by what I've seen.

There is a solution that fits. There was a basket a few years ago. It had a hood. You pointed the hood at the putter. If you got the putt in the hood, it stayed. Looked ugly, and you had to change basket directions.

What some of us are saying is that it isn't on the PDGA or the manufacturers to make a basket that catches or scores differently, as per what you are suggesting, it's on the players to adjust to the baskets. That's what happens in basketball, golf and other sports.

A few guys have proposed uniformity. I agree, a set of standards that make baskets, course to course, event to event, that catch in a range of power and position, would be good for the sport.

BTW - you're playing very nice, given I've gone after your posts pretty hard, thank you!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 774 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If we're playing Disc Golf, the target should reject some putts for having the wrong speed.
This is an excellent point.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 538 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
A few guys have proposed uniformity. I agree, a set of standards that make baskets, course to course, event to event, that catch in a range of power and position, would be good for the sport.

BTW - you're playing very nice, given I've gone after your posts pretty hard, thank you!
Ah, it's all good, I try to be a good sport. I knew what I was proposing wouldn't be popular. I'm only sort of half serious anyway because I'm not completely positive that I'd like what I'm proposing any better than what we have now. I mean, without chains, you wouldn't get that lovely *ching* sound which is so iconic to our sport after all...

Just today I was playing a round (up at Buxton Woods) on brand new DD Veterans. I had a 10 foot putt which I threw with my usual force (honestly not all that hard). It hit dead center on the pole right in the middle (not high or low) and kicked straight back out. I said, "Huh, that's weird, it wasn't a very hard putt." So I did it again, making sure I wasn't cramming it or anything, and got the EXACT same result. Any other basket I've ever played on would have caught both those putts, given that I wasn't putting particularly hard or high or putting up at the basket or anything. I can only imagine what Ricky goes through when he plays on Veterans. These might be some of my least favorite baskets, for a recent basket design at least.

ANYWAY, all that is definitely an argument in favor of what you're proposing: technical standards for how well a basket catches putts coming in at different heights, speeds, and angles.

Niced: (1)