Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 178 Times in 96 Posts

I do not believe the most important factor in 'power' is balance.

'Timing' is the answer. Solid balance enables 'good timing' though.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by curmudgeonDwindle; 12-03-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: enlarge
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,080 Times in 409 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I don't think there's a key factor to anything disc golf. It's many little things coming together at the right time.
If there was one key factor for distance everyone would be throwing 500' but it's not that easy.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 142 Times in 111 Posts

I don’t have perfect form.
But dang I’m throwing twice as far for the effort once I learned proper arm positioning and the feel of the hit.

DD’s 450+ right now for what it’s worth but still working!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I don't think there's a key factor to anything disc golf. It's many little things coming together at the right time.
If there was one key factor for distance everyone would be throwing 500' but it's not that easy.
Maybe more people would throw 500 ft if we understood the key factor(s) and how to unlock them.
I do belive certain things will let you add more power than other through out the chain, those factors are what I am searching for... if that makes sense.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
I don’t have perfect form.
But dang I’m throwing twice as far for the effort once I learned proper arm positioning and the feel of the hit.

DD’s 450+ right now for what it’s worth but still working!
Will that feel for the hit let you add power to it?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 142 Times in 111 Posts

I think, at least with me but I feel with most anyone, is 85% of the problem with form is because of a fundamental issue. I was fundamentally gripping, releasing, and moving the disc wrong with my arm. The power I was trying to get was snapping it short of the arm finish when the release should happen with a swing through to the finish. Once I figured that out, and trusted it, I had several small “ah ha” moments and began tweaking it to the point of maximum power and consistency. Prior to this I was throwing drivers 400-500 with absolutely no form, I’m no freak athlete but I’ve had my share of high level competition in high school and am currently in college, so that kind of thing may not happen for some. But once you find out where the power and swing comes from, the rest falls into place. So TLDR, yes, I can rip it wide open now, and yes, it’s smashing compared to my previous method.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepphow View Post
Maybe more people would throw 500 ft if we understood the key factor(s) and how to unlock them.
I do belive certain things will let you add more power than other through out the chain, those factors are what I am searching for... if that makes sense.
Which piece of a jigsaw puzzle is the most important?

Sure it is nice to have all the edges and the corners are a good place to start, but that is partly because they are easy to pick out of the mess and get you started. If the puzzle is a single subject on a swirly background then most of the pieces that show the object seem more important than the backgound stuff. You will see the picture, it seems like the point, but without all the pieces the puzzle is not complete.

There are parts of the throw that maybe are more important, but there is not a single silver bullet. Not in DG and not in any sport.

One thing I've seen a bit here, but a lot more in some other sports is people asking about very specific muscle building. Same thing as trying to find the one part of the throw that is responsible for power. You need all the parts together.

The kinetic chain. Which link in the chain is the most important? There is just so much of the swing that you can't have one part properly without another.

The most important piece of a jigsaw puzzle is the one you are missing.
The most important part of a chain is the broken link.

One of the biggest hurdles in developing form comes from regression as we as individuals try and fix an issue and something else breaks in the process. Looking for or concentrating on just one part as the MOST important will hold you in that point of regression where we KNOW we are better than what we are producing and we KNOW we are doing this part we've been working on better than we were 6 months or a year ago...

If you really want a silver bullet? I guess Monkey Arms. There is a lot of issues that can be compensated for with silly long levers.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 152 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepphow View Post
So where would you say most of that speed is generated?
In the Runup?
Pull?
Rotation?

Speed is generated from run up + plant/ weight shift + lower body rotation + pull + upper body rotation + arm snap. Note that each one sets up the body for the next speed addition. It is most important to have each ending in the correct spot, they dont need to have much speed added individually. I would be interested to know exactly which have the most speed added.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
I do not believe the most important factor in 'power' is balance.

'Timing' is the answer. Solid balance enables 'good timing' though.
You cant have good timing with poor balance. So there is no good timing without balance. Its a cumulative thing as you say. So which one is more important?

Personally I'd also love to see people open their terms more on this forum. What do you mean by timing? I think everyone has their own vague definitions in their minds but its a complex term in this context. Its not really enlightening to read a one liner where you dont explain what you mean.

For me timing is a poor term in disc golf. You have 20 things in your mind when you throw and try consciously to make them work in correct order. That is doomed to fail. Thats the mental image I get from the word timing. Its more of a sequence thing. You do something right from the get go and good things follow automatically. I dont have to time anything.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 178 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-J View Post
You cant have good timing with poor balance. So there is no good timing without balance. Its a cumulative thing as you say. So which one is more important?

Personally I'd also love to see people open their terms more on this forum. What do you mean by timing? I think everyone has their own vague definitions in their minds but its a complex term in this context. Its not really enlightening to read a one liner where you dont explain what you mean.

For me timing is a poor term in disc golf. You have 20 things in your mind when you throw and try consciously to make them work in correct order. That is doomed to fail. Thats the mental image I get from the word timing. Its more of a sequence thing. You do something right from the get go and good things follow automatically. I dont have to time anything.
A bit pedantic my friend, but whatever, You (and likely everyone else) understood exactly what I was trying to say without the need for further elaboration/qualification. So semantics, sch-mantics.

Thinking about things in parts is very useful, but little in real life actually occurs in parts (some philosophers claim ALL boundaries are arbitrary, particularly the ones invented by the human mind). The 'no-mind' phenomena you speak of is the entire riddle of the game from my understanding of it, so when training/learning I have often found it helpful to focus on the process of improvement. Integration of learned skills into refined tangible results is part of that process...but again, whatever...maybe the question was posed in a stupid manner...as the real 'most important thing for power' is DESIRE - without that nothing happens...at least not a powerful stroke/throw in disc golf anyway...