Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ironically, this disc has been sitting next to a "new" whippet (early-to-mid 2000s) as well. I had a whippet (the dog) for 15 years so had to have it. I can definitely confirm (as most of you have already) that this is not a whippet, at least not of the mold I have.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:53 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 855 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlerKY View Post
Ironically, this disc has been sitting next to a "new" whippet (early-to-mid 2000s) as well. I had a whippet (the dog) for 15 years so had to have it. I can definitely confirm (as most of you have already) that this is not a whippet, at least not of the mold I have.
From what I can tell you is that the Whippet is the same mold it has always been just an X and L mold were made and it seems they now only make the X mold and probably would make more X molds if they needed to. Also the pop top domed version is what Innova makes in small numbers with Star plastic. I like the domed version but only in Pro or DX plastic as the Star plastic made the disc form as a pop top disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-25-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,757 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Hi all, sorry for the delay! I've attached a couple of other pictures - forgive me, not sure what's the best angles to provide. i did notice that there is a weight written on it - 167.

Thank you for the information you've given so far! I'm definitely not looking to sell for tons of money...just feels too nice to add to the Goodwill pile. I was going to call Mt. Airy or Disc 'N Dat in Florence and see if either of them would have interest in it.

Let me know if you need to see anything else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
A bead so that is a Cobra as those do have a traditional bead to them unlike a Stingray with a bead at the nose edge on both the Star and DX and a Whippet with only the small nose bead on the DX model a now oop plastic for the Whippet. Innova still makes a Star Whippet X now in the limited run section for the Innova Disc Pro Shop.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
From what I can tell you is that the Whippet is the same mold it has always been just an X and L mold were made and it seems they now only make the X mold and probably would make more X molds if they needed to. Also the pop top domed version is what Innova makes in small numbers with Star plastic. I like the domed version but only in Pro or DX plastic as the Star plastic made the disc form as a pop top disc.
OK, I have no idea what happened here BUT...

The pictured disc is 100% for certain NOT a Cobra. Me thinks it's a Viper.

Ironically, a disc that I can't tell from a Viper in pictures is the old 90's Whippet. In person the Whippet is small diameter and the Viper is large diameter so they are easy to tell apart, but it pictures they look alike. Same tooling as well. So since you have a Whippet, you can see if they have the sameish diameter or if the Edgewood Electric disc has a noticeably larger diameter. Same diameter=old Whippet; larger diameter=Viper.

Last edited by Three Putt; 02-26-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:51 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 855 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
OK, I have no idea what happened here BUT...

The pictured disc is 100% for certain NOT a Cobra. Me thinks it's a Viper.

Ironically, a disc that I can't tell from a Viper in pictures is the old 90's Whippet. In person the Whippet is small diameter and the Viper is large diameter so they are easy to tell apart, but it pictures they look alike. Same tooling as well. So since you have a Whippet, you can see if they have the sameish diameter or if the Edgewood Electric disc has a noticeably larger diameter. Same diameter=old Whippet; larger diameter=Viper.
I think I said wrong disc as I was looking at the Whippet and Viper molds when I said what I said. Yes both molds are similar but again the Whippet did not have the bead on the inner part of the disc as far as I have seen the mold, a person who was the main founder of the modern disc golf club in my area had a 1993 DX Whippet he was using in 2004 when he found a course in my area. I met him by accident, he started playing with our group keeping his own score for the then 9 hole course. I thought that mold was a bit wide in the wing to be a midrange that slow. Viper and Whippet had ushered in the first discs faster then a midrange in the early 1990's and were when some of my relatives an Uncle and Cousin started playing in 1998 still some of the fastest discs on the market, awkward wing X2 and the Eagle were not much faster only a speed faster.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,757 Times in 986 Posts

I guess I don't know what "bead on the inner part of the rim" means.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 93
Niced 121 Times in 45 Posts

Rammy Ramington perhaps?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,471 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I guess I don't know what "bead on the inner part of the rim" means.
This might help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Hold your breath for 5min and then hit yourself in the head with a hammer and it will all make sense...

Niced: (1)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 133 Times in 76 Posts

Anyone know what run these are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1934.jpg (123.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

Do they have bubbles in the rim?

Old 03-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH