Old 05-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
After some abuse testing there are no big changes to stability or impactful issues on any of the discs. Very durable blends across the board. The liquid plastic seems a bit harder than the FR Prometheus which had an eraser like feel almost to me once glossiness wore off. The current blend does not have that softness after being worn down a but the same nice grip.
Good to hear about the durability Aim. I know I have not run into any issue with my antidotes.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

Short field testing video should be finished today -- Currently processing and had to edit a lot out due to my yellow and clear tester discs not being very easy to see on camera.

A few shots I really tried to torque the Vein over but it really just wants to fade no matter what-- solid OS fairway and both plastics fly the same, straight beef.. The backdrafts are a little touchy for me with the stiff cryo being a understable but the liquid plastic being overstable. For big wide open shots the cryo is nice but hard to keep on a line where the liquid plastic could actually beat-in to become a much more reliable go-to kind of DD.

Unless Salient decides to change up the stiff blend then current backdrafts depending on liquid or cryo will be different flying discs but offer the same feel. The more I throw the stiff Backdraft the more it reminds me of a Katana or Bolt style of max D driver-- not easy discs to dial in for accuracy but helix like no others to get "easy" distance. The Liquid Backdraft is similar to some of the OS pop-top destroyers/bosses I have thrown.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 PM
FROLF OFF!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Awesome video Aim, thanks for taking your time to make a video.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,238 Times in 623 Posts

Got a chance to finally spend some time throwing both the Vein and the Backdraft. The first thing I noticed about both is the dome. Both molds have quite a bit of dome. As someone who generally prefers discs on the flatter side, both molds are still quite comfortable. I would like to see how they feel with a flatter flightplate though. The Vein in particular would probably feel great. I have a Liquid and Cryo Stiff (CS) of each mold, and love the grip of each plastic. It does feel a little slick, but it grips just fine. I tested in drizzling weather (it's been nasty around here since I got these), and my field partner and I didn't have a single slip. I was pretty impressed with this since I was expecting them to be a little slippery.

Backdraft
Being a wide rim driver, the flightplate on the Backdraft is very thin, and the Liquid is very soft. I prefer firmer plastic, and the CS loses that softness and feels great (just my preference - I had no trouble throwing either). As you noticed in the profile pics posted earlier, the CS' wing sagged a little during cooling due to the plastic blend. I think I actually prefer the feel of it to the Liquid. There's a curve to the wing (flat on the Liquid), and my hand fits into it like a glove. In throwing, neither I nor my field partner were able to unleash the distance potential of this mold like Aim can. Both plastics were not easy to turn, BH or FH, with the CS flying high speed stable longer before fading fairly strong. Having a rifle instead of a cannon, I was impressed with what distance I did get, but I know it has a lot more potential. I can't wait to see what some of my cannon-armed friends can do with these, particularly the one who has an insane amount of snap when he's back in town.

Vein
The Vein on the other hand molded up damn near identical between plastics and has a nice, comfortable wing. It has a thicker flightplate, and both plastics feel great. What I really like about it is the bead. It's very small, but it should retain its stability for quite some time. With it being described as flying closer to a Firebird and seasoning to be like a TeeBird, I'll admit this was the disc I was most excited to throw. It didn't disappoint. I was extremely impressed with its HSS but was surprised at its less FB-extreme low speed fade. It's a sharp, not forward, fade and is quite skippy. Despite saying earlier I prefer flatter discs, I believe the Vein's dome gave it some pretty serious glide (for an overstable disc). It's silly to compare it to a putter, I know, but its stability reminds me of the Axiom Envy. You can lay into it, and it will just soar straight and still provide a nice, dependable fade. With a little intentional flex, it was landing near the Backdrafts that were thrown with flat releases.

Cons
Having said all that, I feel I should throw some cons in here because my testers aren't perfect. The flashing on the Vein is sharp. The outer edge is uniformly trimmed, but it isn't flush against the wing, making it very sharp in hand. It was fine until my hands started getting waterlogged. Later FHs (and thumbers in particular) were rough. I would definitely like a little more attention paid when trimming in the future. While I really like the CS blend, if it isn't going be able to mold in wider rim configurations without drooping (no matter if I like the resulting grip), something needs to be changed, even if just for wider rims. The Backdraft's flashing was perfectly trimmed except on one spot of the outer wing of the Liquid. Coincidentally, on the upper part of the wing in that spot, there's a dip in the wing where the rest of the upper wing (and all of the CS) is flat/smooth. I don't know if I'm an isolated case since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I'd say that molding blemish is a missed X-Out which is common in every company. I mentioned the Envy's overmold (that I saw as) issues so I'm being picky here too.

Overall
Because of my distance, I don't bag anything faster than a PD. The Backdrafts will be getting some field testing to see if I can't find a way to get some more distance from them, but they will not be making the bag at this time. I am going to be bagging the Veins though as their extra HSS and sharper fade make them a nice shorter OS complement to my stability range of G* TB and Pinnacle & Icon Patriots with some sneaky distance to possibly add some sharper fading support to my CFR PDs. This is the disc I expected to get out of the C-FD2s. Here's hoping they try a run of flatties!

I will take some profile pics of these against some competitor's molds if anyone's interested. Just post what you want. If I have one, I'll snap some pics. I will also post an update after next weekend letting a bunch of people of varying distances huck them at Paw Paw.

Last edited by tbird888; 05-18-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:23 PM
FROLF OFF!

Nice Tbird-- Even for me I find the Backdrafts to be a bit faster than I like so also would be curious to see someone with tons of power rip them. I did do some pretty heavy inspecting of my discs when they arrived and nothing stuck out at me as being abnormal regarding molding but like you said its bound to happen with every company from time to time. I have been annoyed by over-trimming in many instances but also like the champ polecat I was pleasantly surprised even expecting a kindergarten level cutting job lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,238 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
Nice Tbird-- Even for me I find the Backdrafts to be a bit faster than I like so also would be curious to see someone with tons of power rip them. I did do some pretty heavy inspecting of my discs when they arrived and nothing stuck out at me as being abnormal regarding molding but like you said its bound to happen with every company from time to time. I have been annoyed by over-trimming in many instances but also like the champ polecat I was pleasantly surprised even expecting a kindergarten level cutting job lol.
Yeah, the flashing is precisely trimmed on both discs except that one spot on the Backdraft. I just wish the Vein were a little more tightly trimmed against the wing though. If any of you testers would like your Liquid clears dipped in a fuchsia dye bath, let me know. I know my Liquid Backdraft is getting dipped before Paw Paw.

I really need another Mason jar so I can mix up a batch of Chartreuse.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great job on your reviews guys. I appreciate the time you took out of your personal day to write all this up. I look forward to hearing more about Vein and Backdraft.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM
FROLF OFF!

No problem Scott-- Gave a cryo vein to a friend to take up north and share it around there for people to try out. Do retailers have these yet?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

I can't wait to get my hands on these, especially the Vein. I'm not really well versed with video editing, but I will get these in the hands of some guys who throw bombs and see if I can get some footage. Regardless I will try to get reviews from a range of throwers novice - professional.