Old 05-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Long Distance "Gold Standard" Disc?

What is the "gold standard" by which all other max distance drivers are judged?

I ask because I finally discovered what you all have been telling me all along (no, not stop buying disc)...if you take an overstable disc and throw it on an anhyzer it will glide forever!

I was out measuring some distances today with my mids and decided to pull out my 160g Lucid Air Escape and see if I could finally break 300' consistently, and I did...it's the little accomplishments in life that count I guess.

So then I pulled out my 166g Fuzion Trespass that had always flown left for this wimpy armed 50 year old. At that point I was thinking, how I can I get this thing to fly without heading left on me, then I remembered several of you mentioning anhyzer release.

So I slowed my motion down, released the disc on an anhyzer, gave it about 75 percent power, and it had such a beautiful left right left flight to it, and was pretty straight. What I discovered with that throw is that the anhyzer throw seems so natural to me...I think because my best shot during 45 years of playing tennis was a slice backhand which, to me, seems eerily similar to throwing on an anhyzer.

The next throw I reached back and gave it as much power as I could (and still remain under control). It started slightly left of the target line (I had 6 orange cones lined up measuring off my throws), headed over to the right side of the target line, and at the end headed back to the target line, missing it by 3 feet. Most beautiful flight I've ever seen out of one of my throws...I don't even think my hole in one was as beautiful. I went to see the distance and it was 327'. I know, midrange distance for everyone else here, but for me it was a huge throw.

It made me realize that I don't have to shy away from overstable disc or distance disc, I just have to learn how to throw them to get the most out of them with my arm speed! I know I'm not ready for the top dawg distance driver but at least today gave me some hope that maybe one I will be!

Anyway, I'd just like to know what long distance disc all others are judged against! If I had to guess I'd say the Star Destoyer but truly have no clue!

TripleB
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-05-2018, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,453 Times in 1,561 Posts

I simultaneously put this in your other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Keep throwing that line with the Trespass and see how far you can squeeze it out. Having it pan to the aim line means it's the right stability where you can throw that shot consistently enough that the disc fights you, but it's still straight enough you can get it way out there. I really think this is your sweet spot right now for high speed discs, so just beat in the Trespass and it will glide out right farther, and eventually you will be able to throw it straight with a flat release.

If you go less stable than the Trespass it may get you a few more feet but it will glide way right and be harder to execute the shot. Faster than the Trespass, which you already are not able to throw flat and neutral, will be harder to get up to speed and when not up to speed will have less glide. It will likely fade out sooner. Again, keep throwing this shot and beat in the Trespass and see where that gets you. This flex shot is about maximizing every foot out of your arm speed...it doesn't make you throw farther/faster/harder but it just lets you manipulate disc characteristics to get the most distance, which makes it a tough shot in some situations.

Since this seems to be your sweet spot for a flex distance line, the other distance shot is a hyzer flip, so with that you would go down in speed and stability. Something like a star Roadrunner could be great. Or your current Air Escape is likely pretty equivalent. Too high speed and you won't be able to flip it, and it will fade sooner. Speed 9 is a good sweet spot for stability and glide for this shot for most players.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 60 Times in 52 Posts

Destroyer and outlaw are the gold standards I’d say

Old 05-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 800 Times in 435 Posts

Groove

End thread........please

Old 05-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 681 Times in 277 Posts

Average joes shouldnt be throwing overstable plastic for distance. If you can’t throw a speed 10-11 over 350 feet than you don’t need a speed 12 or 13 as you won’t see any increase in distance.

The key with any disc is to find the one that feels right for you. Hand feel is critical to consistent release. There is no one size fits all and there are so many great discs from all manufacturers now.

Generally speaking it is easier to throw understable plastic further more consistently.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 931 Times in 615 Posts

That’s great that your throwing farther, I am honestly very happy for you.

But the “Gold Standard” driver to me is relitive to skill level. For Pros and Advanced players who throw 400+ you will see a ton of Star Destroyers, Giants, Outlaws, Enforcers and similar.

I love my Giants, but by no means would I suggest you get one.

If your set on going faster the “Gold Standard” to me at that lower power level is the King. They can range from pretty flippy to fairly stable, and I like the more OS ones, but you could possibly get a TP King in the 160s and get a few more feet out of it. When I first started my project of getting 400 BH I was throwing 325 ish with a Wraith and by changing form(not discs) I got to 390. After that I found that I liked to use a hyzer release BH and switched to Kings that are slightly less stable than the Wraiths I was using.

I can now go 400+ BH, but it’s not really because of the disc. I can also do it with a Fission Volt, which is speed 8-9 ish.

If I were your caddy, I’d find something like a Star Valk, light Inertia, Recycled Stag or just stick with the Escape.

So I said all that to say this; if you want to go faster buy something like a King, not a Destroyer. Don’t be upset if it doesn’t do what you want for your game though.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,083 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Groove

End thread........please
I will second this.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
That’s great that your throwing farther, I am honestly very happy for you.

When I first started my project of getting 400 BH I was throwing 325 ish with a Wraith and by changing form(not discs) I got to 390.

If I were your caddy, I’d find something like a Star Valk, light Inertia, Recycled Stag or just stick with the Escape.
Thank you! I think that's one of the reasons I love disc golf...I learn something or see improvement each time out. After 45 years of tennis I think I reached my full potential many years ago!

Funny you mention the Wraith. In another thread I posed the question: if I dropped down from the speed 12 Trespass down to an 11 or 10 speed disc with the same -1/3 numbers would I actually gain distance because it would be easier to get the disc up to speed?

The Escape is pretty impressive for a 9 speed disc. I think my last throw with it was 315 feet....only 12 feet less than the Trespass. It's 160g in Lucid Air. Only thing I don't like is the fact it's brown...so darn hard to see (but I found it in the mud back when I first started playing so I don't complain too loud).

I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion!

TripleB
Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts

Gold standard distance driver is 12/5/-1/3 that's true to these numbers. Whatever brand or model it happens to be. This doesn't mean it's the best for everybody, but I would say that is what everything else is judged against as OP said. Fast. Good glide. Straight. Dependable fade.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 50
Niced 261 Times in 167 Posts

Paul: Destroyer
Rick: Defender
Eagle: PD2
Discerdoo: Groove
Me: idk, I can get a trespass out a little further than my undertaker. Had a Destroyer go over 400 ft once.

It’ll depend. If you have a trespass I would work with it until you can get some turn out of it. They flip up, drift, and slightly fade. Work on getting a full flight from what you have and then try something else if you think your distance is limited by the Disc.