Old 07-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 41 Times in 17 Posts

Just depends on who I'm with.

I have one group I play with where we are always at least playing course OB and sometimes setting additional restrictions on certain holes to make things tougher than intended.

Another group I play with we are all just kind of simultaneously doing our own thing while playing together. Some guys are playing it where it lies while others are playing course OB.

If I'm playing solo it varies depending on my mood between play it where it lies/course OB/how much do I want to torture myself?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

To me casual means just that, casual. Me and the guys I play with play no OB and take free relief from stupidly difficult lies. The idea is to have fun and enjoy a day throwing plastic around the park.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,051 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002P51 View Post
To me casual means just that, casual. Me and the guys I play with play no OB and take free relief from stupidly difficult lies. The idea is to have fun and enjoy a day throwing plastic around the park.
I used to play that way. Nothing wrong with it and its all about the fun and people you're playing with. Used to play with a few guys this way until one of them kept bragging about how good he was and started telling us after each hole what the score is and how far below par he was. It got annoying real fast and when you would remind him that all those "reliefs" he's taking and the branches he's holding out of the way are why he's playing "better", he would throw a fit.

That group disbanded after one season.

I now find it much more fun and rewarding to make nice shots out of stupidly difficult lies. Taking relief just feels like cheating to me now.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 413 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I used to play that way. Nothing wrong with it and its all about the fun and people you're playing with. Used to play with a few guys this way until one of them kept bragging about how good he was and started telling us after each hole what the score is and how far below par he was. It got annoying real fast and when you would remind him that all those "reliefs" he's taking and the branches he's holding out of the way are why he's playing "better", he would throw a fit.

I now find it much more fun and rewarding to make nice shots out of stupidly difficult lies. Taking relief just feels like cheating to me now.
I'm so ignorant that I always take a stroke if I take relief. Guess I should read the rule book someday.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,898 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I'm so ignorant that I always take a stroke if I take relief. Guess I should read the rule book someday.
Most of the time, you do have to take a stroke to take relief. Free relief is only available for specific instances that don't necessarily crop up all that often on most courses (non-permanent standing water a.k.a. puddles, dangerous animals/insects, etc).

From Keller's post, I'm imagining the "relief" he and his old playing partners were taking would not be legal if playing by the book, penalty or not. I'm picturing a lot of lateral relief, which is not provided as an option at all by rule.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post

I've always played OB strict for that reason. If I was just spraying drives all over the place but "getting" -4 or -5 down rounds it messes with me when I play our weekly league. The same reason I don't count second putts on casual rounds. It's harder to switch in and out of a "this actually matters" mindset than to just play like you're supposed to all the time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)

Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 76
Niced 24 Times in 14 Posts

I really don't like sidewalks as OB. it's just a random strip through the middle of the fairway that's OB. You can use it as a border for OB (on or beyond the sidewalk is OB), but just on seems kinda arbitrary. Almost never play OB on casual rounds.

The other two depend on the hole. We have some creeks here with a very obvious bank, and others where its vague where the bank is and isnt. That usually determines that one. If the creek is to the side of the hole and doesn't completely cross it, then we play the other side as OB.