Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,628 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
thank for the replies!

I guess what I am trying to do here is really buy into a mindset in which it makes no difference which run of this or that disc I have or lose, etc.. Also wanting to really truly know if there are any discs which have some undeniable quality worth having. Like is CE plastic really going to enhance my ability, not likely. Are AJ destroyers fliying in such a magnificent way they are worth $60, probably not...but idk. Is it just a comfort thing, psychologically, that a person may think having XYZ disc gives them a better ability, and maybe by thinking that, it manifests because of the belief and not the actual disc lol IDK.

So i guess that means I have to ask and not assume if NT and DGPT players carry and throw 150-155g discs? Im not sure why I assumed they didnt. If they dont, why not? (again, wind not a factor)
Think of discs in slots/characteristics, not the stamp or run. I've thrown a proto Star Destroyer, it was incredible. But if flew 12/5/-2/2, it was basically a Tern that was more comfortable. So you know what....I'll throw a Tern for dirt cheap instead if I need that, it's not as cool as flipping a Destroyer or throwing old runs, but it's not scary to throw. I have a couple AJ's, if I lose them I'd likely replace with another mold altogether that flies as close to the same. I mean I'd rather have these because I love the hand feel of Destroyers and they last forever if you don't lose them, but it's not worth the money or time to try to find them for me. Of course if I was at a store and saw a new run one where I thought the PLH was similar as I can look at Destroyers and get an ok idea of how they may fly, I would get it. But I wouldn't stress myself over finding one instead of a Wraith/Trespass/Shryke/whatever if I need one to turn and come back some. I find the magic in some discs is consistency in different angles and moderate wind, and some of that depends on the thrower's speed/spin for the disc...in lots of conditions discs of the same class will end up within 10' distance wise for me. It's all arm speed, you throw it harder it goes farther.

Same with runs...instead of getting freaked out over trying a 2nd run FD or something I'll throw a Teebird. Of course if someone I play with bags one you bet I'll beg them to throw it once to see what the hype is. But I'm not going to scour ebay for one. And if Teebirds are coming out more stable than I want, time to try it in Gstar or a Rival or Explorer or whatever. Give yourself options. There are subtleties in the discs but those ones are all real close if you aren't crazy about exact hand feel or stamps or whatever. Throw what's molding up good at the time. Does the disc do what you expect when you hit your line? Then it's good for that slot. If a disc is less wind tolerant than another mold, then stick to that mold that works better for you.

There is Japan Open footage from a few years ago where all pro's had to throw <159g discs. Look that up if you want to see how they fly....pretty similar. I think I remember Paul saying they flew pretty similar and it took little adjustment.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by slowplastic; 06-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 303 Times in 163 Posts

As far as value - Yea, AJ destroyers are not worth $60. That said, there are particular AJ Destroyers that would fit my arm speed and have the stability I'm looking for, which may in fact be worth $60 to me - although I have never paid over $25 for a disc.... Fill in the blank for any player and their preferred driver/run.

While there is no magic discs across all players (although the bowfly guy above makes a pretty good argument) years of throwing a particular mold/run means something. The value is in the hand of the bethrower.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 45.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 44 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
No disc itself is universally advantageous to have. If a disc is complimentary to your game then by all means you should carry it. Its more the archer, not the arrow however finding the "right" arrow doesn't hurt.
^^^This. ^^^

No doubt, throwing a lot of different discs will help you find what works best for you. (Borrowing from buddies is they way to go here.) But searching for "the disc" will cause you to second guess your selection with most every bad throw.

As to your mention of different runs and plastics, yeah they are different to a point. It's more a matter of what one gets used to. (prefers, can handle, likes) I stock several runs and plastics of my go to discs. And yeah I can sometimes tell the difference. But the difference usually isn't enough to matter. I'll get used to it.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 354 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
1. Big Bead Aviar or a reasonable variant.

2. idk, less than max weight discs certainly not odd in a ‘pro’ bag. .... stretch distance up hills and standstill condition long fairways are cromulent carry reasons aside from a honey tailwind in a perfect setup.
No, big bead Aviars are the worst discs ever made. They will poison your bag so severely you will never hit another fairway. So as a public service, I am willing to take all big bead aviars off your hands.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 567 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
^^^This. ^^^

No doubt, throwing a lot of different discs will help you find what works best for you. (Borrowing from buddies is they way to go here.) But searching for "the disc" will cause you to second guess your selection with most every bad throw.

As to your mention of different runs and plastics, yeah they are different to a point. It's more a matter of what one gets used to. (prefers, can handle, likes) I stock several runs and plastics of my go to discs. And yeah I can sometimes tell the difference. But the difference usually isn't enough to matter. I'll get used to it.
I stopped calling the slight differences in run to run scenarios "inconsistencies" and began calling them "nuances" now I have a lot of the same mold and each are unique and special and they all have their place and they all do "their thing".

Niced: (2)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 9
Niced 38 Times in 21 Posts

I don't know about #2, but in regards to #1... I think many people have discs that just seem to do one special amazing thing. I throw a Z-Flx Heat that seems magical. It always goes straight and then has a late turn. Doesn't turn over unless into a headwind, and barely fades, if at all. It might fly different for everyone else, but that's just my example.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 223
Niced 169 Times in 90 Posts

Zone. Great disc. Very OS, but if you need left, it has left. If you need right, it has left.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 9
Niced 38 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck View Post
Zone. Great disc. Very OS, but if you need left, it has left. If you need right, it has left.

I just discovered it recently.
It’s so good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 145 Times in 82 Posts

"Is/Are there any discs which universally do something remarkable to the point that having them gives you some type of advantage?"

There is no UNIVERSAL magic disc.

That said, I'd bet my bar card that a vast majority of the people on here (who are any good) have one or more discs that are magic to THEM and they wouldn't play any serious round without them/it in their bag - this mental belief (that a certain disc will do what YOU want it to, on demand) is definitely an advantage

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 350
Niced 416 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
Like is CE plastic really going to enhance my ability, not likely. Are AJ destroyers fliying in such a magnificent way they are worth $60, probably not...but idk. Is it just a comfort thing, psychologically, that a person may think having XYZ disc gives them a better ability, and maybe by thinking that, it manifests because of the belief and not the actual disc lol IDK.
There is no performance to be gained with boutique priced plastic that can't be replicated with production plastic. People often spend $60 on a disc because they think they can flip it for $120 later.