Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Niced 194 Times in 92 Posts

Cranberry Township north of Pittsburgh recently built a championship 10,000 ft course for $265k. It was a joint venture between the town and private contributions.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 274 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Columbia is (as I'm sure you are aware) the most progressive community in Missouri, so they collect taxes and the parks department actually has money. Columbia Parks and Recreation has the best funding and the best overall performance of any parks department in the State. They know how public recreation is done. So they spent a lot of money on Harmony Bends, but the $1M is crazy. The entire Strawn Park phase 1 budget ( of which the disc golf course was a part) was $155,000. $125,000 of that came from the Park Sales Tax and $30,000 came from the Tourism Development Fund.

They had to do a lot of earth moving and landscaping to keep that park from flooding endlessly, so it would be folly to assume that the majority of that $155,000 was spent on the disc golf course design specifically. Of course that doesn't include park crew salaries and the equipment the department already had access to, but there is no way that jumps that cost up $845,000.

A lot of the rumors about them paying Houck $100,000 and spending $1M on the course IMO are coming out of St. Charles as a way of deflecting criticism that they whiffed on the New Melle design.

So I know we want to think big money is being spent, but you can build the #1 rated course on DGCR from scratch for waaayyy less than $1M.
I appreciate the details, thanks for sharing!
You may be right about the source of the $1M rumors... I finally played New Melle about a month ago and I was seriously underwhelmed for the amount of hype its gotten around here. That said, I'm going to reserve final judgement of the course because I only played the short tees to the short pins (winter round).

I've also played Harmony a handful of times in different conditions and different times of the year and that is a 'world class' disc golf course. It is muddy and tough to navigate at times (because of terrain, not because of signage), but is a lot of fun, challenging, scenic, and did I mention challenging...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 81
Niced 1,119 Times in 496 Posts

That's a tad shy of 3 mill...

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 148
Niced 422 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
That's a tad shy of 3 mill...
C'mon man, a guy's gotta feed his family.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 29
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I have a better idea: find a pitch and putt (shorty, par 3, executive, etc.) ball golf course that's drying up, and add disc golf to it. (There's no shortage of struggling golf courses, I hear.) Boom, instant second revenue stream on infrastructure that's already in place. Sure, it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'll bet there's enough disc golfers who enjoy dropping bombs or watching their discs skip to make it worthwhile.
There is one of those close to me. I've never played it.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
There is one of those close to me. I've never played it.
There is one an hour away from me. I play it once a year for tag challenges. It's fun for a change, but not worth an hour drive on a regular basis. Lots of big hyzers, and two shots through the trees.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 58
Niced 168 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Step 1 Write an article about a version of disc golf that disc golfers dislike

Step 2 ??????

Step 3 Profit!
Finally it's clear, we follow the underpants knomes all the way to the bank.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:22 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 1,328 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
There is one an hour away from me. I play it once a year for tag challenges. It's fun for a change, but not worth an hour drive on a regular basis. Lots of big hyzers, and two shots through the trees.
That's also within the vision of disc golf that the "serious spot" guys had back in the 80's and early 90's. Ed Headrick used to design courses with 160' shots in the woods. It kept the challenge level low and the game back out of sight.

The serious sport guys preached long holes with open, defined fairways so they could bomb. The serious sport guys could always bomb huge drives and they wanted a sport that showed off that skill. They wanted holes out in front of the park where they would be visible. They wanted courses like Swope was, which was over 7,000' when Aero's and XD's were drivers.

Adding big open hyzer shots onto ball golf layouts makes sense in that context and is where the Fly 18 idea probably came from. The reality is that for most of us, it's boring. I watched a little of I think the Las Vegas tournament? A big event that was on a golf course, anyway. I saw nothing about that course that would make me want to play it. It just looked really long for the sake of being long.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 148
Niced 422 Times in 198 Posts

Our club installed an 18 hole DG course on a current ball course. The club paid for the baskets and concreet teepads. It's not a pitch and putt as it's a par 62 (8260'). I have 3 passes (awarded for volunteerism) for free rounds w/cart, and club members also get 1 specified free day/month. In the works right now are adding another 18 holes on the same course.

That said, I almost never play here. It's only 25 minutes from my house, pretty much free to me, but it's just not my cup of tea. It's a beautiful course, but I'm just not into throwing really hard 2-3 times and then putting. Give me a wooded course in a natural setting all day long.

This is the course:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8981

Old 03-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
That's also within the vision of disc golf that the "serious spot" guys had back in the 80's and early 90's. Ed Headrick used to design courses with 160' shots in the woods. It kept the challenge level low and the game back out of sight.

The serious sport guys preached long holes with open, defined fairways so they could bomb. The serious sport guys could always bomb huge drives and they wanted a sport that showed off that skill. They wanted holes out in front of the park where they would be visible. They wanted courses like Swope was, which was over 7,000' when Aero's and XD's were drivers.

Adding big open hyzer shots onto ball golf layouts makes sense in that context and is where the Fly 18 idea probably came from. The reality is that for most of us, it's boring. I watched a little of I think the Las Vegas tournament? A big event that was on a golf course, anyway. I saw nothing about that course that would make me want to play it. It just looked really long for the sake of being long.
We have an original Steady Ed course from 1980 (Joseph Davis), the original 18 holes average 270 feet from the whites, with the longest hold being 375 feet. Our local club holds many tournaments from this layout. With today's equipment it really is not much of a challenge. Open players can shoot 40 without much trouble.

Open players in the mid 80's were still shooting 42 or 43. I have proposed we have a tourney using just mids and putters, but no one in the club wants to do that.