Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,254 Times in 722 Posts

For sure, sudden death playoffs are more exciting for me, as an observer. I admit, if I were personally involved, I might not like it so much.

"Okay folks, we have a tie, now we're going to count the scores from the round, hole by hole, to see who wins," isn't nearly as exciting.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,462 Times in 1,166 Posts

I don't know that scorecard tiebreakers are particularly unfair, if chosen and announced in advanced, and chosen well (as sudden death holes should be).

Essentially, these holes are double-weighted. Or, at least, potentially double-weighted. The players know the stakes playing those holes.

Which is a little distasteful but, face it, many courses have holes that have a disproportionate effect on the outcome, due to the scoring spreads they produce.

I'm not a fan, but for other reasons than fairness.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,119 Times in 496 Posts

I liken scorecard tiebreakers to something Dana White (CEO of the UFC) had posted on the wall of a training center. It was something along the lines of, "Don't leave it in the hands of the judges." The judges being those deciding the fight and essentially saying fight well enough to get a TKO or submission. To use it in our case, if you don't like the tie breaker step your game up, stop making excuses and play better.

Haven't quite decided how to handle ties outside of 1st place just yet but unless there are a lot of non first place ties I don't think the scorecard thing is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,543 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Haven't quite decided how to handle ties outside of 1st place just yet but unless there are a lot of non first place ties I don't think the scorecard thing is the way to go.
Why do ties outside of first place need to be broken at all? Not dismissing the notion, just not sure I've ever heard a reason worth the effort to break the tie, at least from an official standpoint.

I'm assuming we're talking ties after all the play is over, and not tiebreaking for the purposes of card assignments or making a hard cut of the field for a semifinal or final round.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So here's another related question...I know the rules don't address this so I am looking to see what others do but what about a tie for third or second? I have a really awesome club member making fantastic trophies for the event out to three places in a bunch of divisions. How do others resolve ties in these spots? Cage match? Pretty sure I don't want to spend time after the tourney having playoffs for 2nd and 3rd places. I was thinking the lower PDGA number takes it but I'm not sure I guess...
Had this happen with 3 of us tied for 2nd and had trophies for 2nd and 3rd. We were all tired so we just flipped discs for the 2 trophies.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 363 Times in 195 Posts

I'd prefer sudden death to break a tie, but wouldn't be hurt about skill competitions (CTP, a round of Finnish, who can make the shot into the knot of a tree from farthest away, whatever).

Scorecard tiebreak just seems to punish someone who catches fire later in the round (counting starts from 1) or the beginning (counting starts from 18).

Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 81
Niced 1,119 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Why do ties outside of first place need to be broken at all?
No reason other than it seems like fun for the players. If it isn't then we can just flip a coin - or nothing at all.