Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haier2 View Post
Saying /thread is cute and all, but simply posting "zone and firebird" is hardly an answer to "How do you decide which speed of super overstable disc to carry, or do you just carry both?". Just how I feel.

I do appreciate the quality responses, but let's not act like moderators when we aren't.

I love it when someone other than you deems your thread is over.

The overstable "tweener" discs have a lot of good use for specialty shots. I tried to find a need for an overstable putt and approach disc but just found I didn't need it. I do find a use for the mid/fairway overstable tweener disc and for that I like the trident.

I sometimes decide by sticking a disc in the bag. After each round for a few weeks I take notice of just how often I used it and for what shots. If after a few weeks I'm not using it enough and I find myself using stuff I'm already bagging I simply take it out and move on. It depends on your style of play and which style of courses you play. If I'm taking a road trip to a course I'll often make sure I have a few extra discs that I don't need for my home courses just in case. Planning ahead is always good.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by SteezeOG; 07-24-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 41 Posts

I throw a Pig and a Gator, if I was trying to slim down my bag I would just throw a Suspect.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

I throw Harp, Verdict and a Scythe. If the Trilogy comes out with their Firebird, I may drop the Verdict and Scythe, but that needs to be field tested first.

Now to the reasoning behind this. I mostly throw the OS stuff on doglegs, spike hysers, skip shots and some forehand flex shots (naturally they come into play also in headwinds). Most of these throws are used to avoid some obstacle/rough and it is critical to have the fade/skip at the exactly right distance.

The reason I like to keep more than one OS mold is that I feel that the powering down is decreasing my consistency quite a lot. When you throw a slow enough disc, you never overthrow the target. Also when you throw most of the time at 80-90%, the throwing mechanics remain natural and repeatable. With ~50% power it becomes very hard to estimate the distances and quite often I start having issues with the release angles as well.

No doubt, this could be improved with practice, but I feel I rather spend that time practicing something else.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

I carry a gator and a firebird. The gator can cover any shot that an overstable putter can.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 74
Niced 61 Times in 41 Posts

I carry a Jokeri for the slower OS slot. Not quite as OS as a Zone but I get great distance and control on it. It is a faster putter so I feel no need for an OS mid in the mix also.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 26
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

I carry both but justify any overlap by carrying a Soft OS Putter and OS Mid. The putter sticks to the ground like glue. So if I need any skip action but not a ton like a driver would produce, i use the mid.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 6
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I carry 2 gators. One is beat and useful for slow speed, putter type shots. The other is glow champ and super beefy. I also carry a firebird for anything 250+ that needs serious fade
Old 07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Harp for short to medium upshots, pain is moderately os but ill still reach for the harp first. Then it jumps to the enforcer. It gets me by

Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Par Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
I carry a zone and a FAF firebird.
And the zone flys farther.
Haha this.

I carry both plus a regular FB. Zones are very versatile. With extra power it just goes straight longer before fading hard. FAF firebirds on the other hand will just go left out of your hand no matter what.