Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 412 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Never tried this. Seems like it would be so, so hot.
Don't think he meant to wear cotton over top of dri-fit, think he means he prefers cotton. If that's what you were thinking?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,916 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Don't think he meant to wear cotton over top of dri-fit, think he means he prefers cotton. If that's what you were thinking?
I didn't even catch that---my comment could have been worded better.

Yes, I meant, given a vote between cotton and dri-fit, on a very humid day I'd choose cotton.

Cotton over dri-fit (layered) would be hot. And sort of defeat the purpose of the dri-fit.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 972 Times in 665 Posts

I just embrace it and sweat out the poison being we are stuck inside half the year up here anyway.

Yeah materials matter some what but when it is hot it is hot. I won't go shirtless style being dad died of skin cancer and now really some good mixed blend stuff out to dry quick and absorb sweat these days.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 565 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I didn't even catch that---my comment could have been worded better.

Yes, I meant, given a vote between cotton and dri-fit, on a very humid day I'd choose cotton.

Cotton over dri-fit (layered) would be hot. And sort of defeat the purpose of the dri-fit.
Ohhhhhhhh….yeah, no. Done with cotton. I would soak it by hole 3.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 49 Times in 27 Posts

I'm torn between dri-fit t-shirt vs loose cotton or linen button down. No joke. I use one of the latter at the beach and at hot courses in SC in the mid afternoon. I am a fan of the Discraft tournament bag because it holds my big water bottle:

40 oz bottle that keeps water ice cold throughout. It was fairly cheap (like 13 bucks) at Wal-Mart but super important for me regarding "beating the summer heat"
Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 98
Niced 181 Times in 99 Posts

I got sort of stuck on a course this year because of heat. It was 95 degrees and high humidity and I tried to play Ozark Trails in Branson Mo. with a zuca cart and a dog. I did it because I was there and had planned to play with nothing else planned. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After 7 holes I was dying. The 8th hole played up an incredibly steep hill and I knew I was not going to make it through the round. First time ever.

I decided to quit but then I realized I was as far away from hole 1 as I could be on the course. I was thinking I'd end up where I started after nine but that is not how that course is set up.

I had to walk back up several incredibly large hills. I collapsed on a tee pad after the first big hill and had to call the owner for help. I was so embarrassed but I knew I was in big trouble. But he was an hour away. The scary thing is that you just can't cool off even when you stop moving. And I was running out of water.

I eventually made it back but me and my dog were covered in ticks and I was miserable for a week afterwards.

Moral of the story is don't do stupid things like me. But I learned a valuable lesson because I didn't think I was going to make it back for a hot second.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 484 Times in 249 Posts

Holy...thank god I've never had heat exhaustion or been overly dehydrated.

The hotter it gets, the slower I walk... I start to slow down everything and only push it on the throw... I take breaks...prefer to go out of my way for shade...

Mostly just walking slowly.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 393 Times in 225 Posts

Here in Texas, I can play in the heat....if I keep moving...but if I stop moving...instant heat + sweat. I have to drink a ton of fluids as well. Sip constantly...don't guzzle, etc. But then $%^& I get excited about a good throw and forget to drink for a while. lol..Sugar...SO important on these hot days we well, otherwise your brain gets all funky....and you start blaming throws on the disc. lol..
Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 44 Times in 32 Posts

What I've found is that it's best not to get overheated in the first place. I work outdoors in MO and I wear long sleeves. (Fire retardant clothing is heavy and hot.) When I can start to feel my heart pounding in my head, it's time for a break and cool water. I try to stay out of air conditioning till all the work for the day is done.

One thing nice about becoming acclimatized in this way is that a 100+ heat index day on a course in shorts and a tee feels great.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,916 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I got sort of stuck on a course this year because of heat. It was 95 degrees and high humidity and I tried to play Ozark Trails in Branson Mo. with a zuca cart and a dog. I did it because I was there and had planned to play with nothing else planned. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After 7 holes I was dying. The 8th hole played up an incredibly steep hill and I knew I was not going to make it through the round. First time ever.

I decided to quit but then I realized I was as far away from hole 1 as I could be on the course. I was thinking I'd end up where I started after nine but that is not how that course is set up.

I had to walk back up several incredibly large hills. I collapsed on a tee pad after the first big hill and had to call the owner for help. I was so embarrassed but I knew I was in big trouble. But he was an hour away. The scary thing is that you just can't cool off even when you stop moving. And I was running out of water.

I eventually made it back but me and my dog were covered in ticks and I was miserable for a week afterwards.

Moral of the story is don't do stupid things like me. But I learned a valuable lesson because I didn't think I was going to make it back for a hot second.
Very scary. Glad you made it back.

As I posted earlier, I've suffered heat exhaustion twice. And nearly a 3rd time, when I started a tournament without my water and figured I could make it through the front 9 and get it when I passed my car. I almost didn't.

But don't be embarrassed---I've had a few people succumb at Stoney Hill, mostly from cooler climates, and had to rescue one. At least you were still aware enough to call for help.

Niced: (1)