Old 11-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Years Playing: 0.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

In case this is helpful to other noobs, I did find that discing down until I found a neutral enough, light enough, and slow enough driver has helped tremendously with my consistency. I only gained about 10' on my throw this week, but it turns over a little and gets a real flight. This should be obvious and I'm only confirming what literally everyone says, but it's right and it's worth saying again.

Learning to step out a bit to the left with my lead foot (RHBH) has also improved my game instantly. Less effort required to throw just as far, with more reliable aim.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

discing down is your friend! you'll start to throw farther with a slower disc. have fun!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 65
Niced 611 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Do people ever keep journal-type entries on this site? I don't see any but maybe I've missed something.

It would be nice to put down thoughts while getting through these noob stages of development, to maybe inspire or amuse others and to have something to reflect on. But it seems like this is not part of the vibe of the site. Would the noob forum be appropriate for something like this?
I use my thread in the “bag suggestions and feedback” sub. I should be more diligent with it.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Just a quick note on a piece of progress that I want to write down.

I've started being able to control the trajectory of my shots better, by paying attention to the nose of my disc as I approach. I can now start all of my discs on an anhyzer, though adding this wrinkle has made early and late releases a problem again. But that's totally fine. Tweaking one thing should be expected to throw me off for a while.

I don't know what the secret to getting some distance on a spike hyzer is, but I can't throw them far! I did park one today to par a certain hole for the first time, which felt awesome. But seriously, it goes like 120 feet max for me, though it's a surprisingly accurate shot in certain situations and I'm glad to have access to it now.

So, two new shot types this week. Feels great. I also beat my best 9 hole score by 5 shots (okay, it only was a 45 on a par 32, but still I'll take it!)

Less worried about throwing far now. I've accepted that I'm going to throw about 200' from the tee for now, and about 180' from the fairway. It's getting more interesting now that I can plan my shots in advance, playing tighter position now instead of just trying to keep it on one side of the fairway or another.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Good to hear progress is being made. It's true that changing one thing enough will throw off other aspects. But it if you keep at it, the quality and/or distance of your shots should improve. I have found that the farther I can throw in general, the better I can throw a spike hyzer, but not as far. You are going to lose horizontal distance [to the basket] in favor of vertical distance [to get over trees]. So form and arm speed is the key.

Keep it up and the progress will come. I started shooting a 75 on a local intermediate course about a year ago and now I can shoot at or closer to 54. To me, when you typed "It's getting more interesting now", means the game should be a bit more enjoyable now mentally until you figure out the physical part. Then you keep repeating the process.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:18 PM

Couple more things to write down while I'm stoked.

A few days back was my first snow round. Ski gloves between shots, digging snow out of disc rims. Great stuff. I really enjoyed it and played great, beating my PB at my home course again by 3 shots, absolutely parked a tricky par 3 and made my first birdie, then nailed a 50-60 foot blind putt around a huge tree. The cold conditions were fun and challenging, making me think a lot more.

Then today I inexplicably threw a monster (for me) with my Star TL. It was my first true "snap" and was longer than any previous throw even with it stopping dead on a tree, which it hit with significant velocity. A very different feeling through the arm, and a very different disc flight, much straighter than usual, and turned later and faded slower, so that as it faded it was still cooking pretty fast (that isn't how my 's' shots fly, normally at the fade the disc is very slow). So cool. I didn't throw very well today and my putting was terrible, but had a blast.

New disc, Champion Leopard. This is the real deal, holy crap. Now I get why people tell noobs to throw these. Bought a second Luna and I should get more, so I'll be tempted to throw extra putts. It's also pretty awesome for anything within 120' imo.

Working hard on keeping the nose down on approach when I drive. The distance is coming by accident, Nice!

Cheers to all the noobs out there, and to those who tolerate us ♥

Last edited by disco40; 11-16-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Nice to hear some progress being made. I have a Star Leopard [got an ace with it on a 240' hole during last winter] and a regularly throw a Champ Leopard 3 for fairly straight wooded holes. Remember, the distance is coming by working at it!