Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
By "throwing to the right", do you mean you are throwing big hyzers or the disc is turning over to the right or is just late releasing as you mentioned. If it's late releasing, it's probably related to rounding if you are using an x-step.
A fair amount of late release which I'm not too worried over (I'll watch out for rounding), but more it's me sort of forcing the disc over and/or subconsciously releasing anhyzer. I think I just need to set up a couple cameras and put them in the technique forum, if I ever get around to it.

Sometimes I'll late release combined with a follow-through that ends with my arm/shoulder way down to the right. Those go reeeeeeeally far right lol.

I think what I said about not trusting a flat release is what is happening between my ears. I spent so long trying to compensate for nooby hyzer throws that I'm somehow over-protecting my throws from going to the left.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 AM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 21 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
I think I just need to set up a couple cameras and put them in the technique forum, if I ever get around to it.
Recording some of your throws is a great idea and something I wish I did earlier. If you know the basics of a good throw, the videos can be useful just for you to review. If not, the technique forum is a good place as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 AM
Bogey Member

Just had an "aha" moment about putting today.

It is extremely obvious but for some reason I have been putting too "tight" for months. I bended and pushed at the knees and swung my arm in some way resembling what you should do, but I just didn't have any fluidity or pop to my putts most days. Today everything changed, and all I did was rock back and forth a little, with basically my whole body. Same amount of push from the legs, but the arm felt much more powerful. It cut the feeling of effort nearly in half. I got nice and free and loose, and effortlessly chucked in all but my longest C1 putts.

I'm a very long way from becoming even a mildly proficient putter, but this was a big step. It's amazing how much difference being just a little bit more fluid can make.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM
Bogey Member

First significant back injury. Spasms, bulging disc. Nothing operable but I have to eat some meds for a little bit. Mercifully, my car broke down, so my time off is justified by a couple of things.

I may have hurt myself playing and unplanned 36 holes following 18 the previous day. I thought I could handle it, but some moderate lifting at work later that night absolutely finished me.

Been only 3 days since I played, but feels like much longer! Time to let the hunger build and devise a supplemental light exercise program for my core.

Also a nagging rib injury that's a tear from October. I hate wasting good winter days but I think it's time for a break.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:40 PM
Bogey Member

Threw about 12 holes after an 8 day layoff, felt okay but not great, and broke my 9-hole PB by two strokes.

I've gone to throwing only Champion-type plastic for drives and ESP plastic (only throwing Buzzz molds) for mids. Something about each of those just feels right. I like the minimalism too.

The Leopard goes about 270 avg for me now, and the mids about 240 avg.

Still putting off learning the forehand because of the back issues, so instead I'm going to work on learning to hyzerflip my Leopard. I feel I should be able to do this now, because I can throw it 300+, and I'm always flexing it and getting all the action I need, but I need to be able to throw it straighter at times.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Bogey Member

Got off work a little too late, so I decided to go to the local park for my first "field work" session. Here's how it went.

The baseball/softball park there has fields with a 305' fence, which is plenty of room for me. Unfortunately, the infield is made with a lot of clay. This matters in a moment.

I throw all the discs my bag and it starts to rain and the wind kicks up, which is kind of expected to be honest. So I walk up to the infield to retrieve my discs and go home (this is where I pretend that everything I threw made it to the infield), and with the first step, I sink to my ankle in what can only be described as ten thousand square feet of diarrhea.

I see all of my discs lying scattered, wind-blown about the infield diarrhea, and my mind immediately turns to the Postman Problem, and curses science for failing to have solved this for me.

Five minutes and an inefficient number of criss-crossing squishpoop footprints later, I had retrieved all of my discs and clumped my way back to the parking lot. What did I learn in my first fieldwork session? Don't fund baseball.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 AM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 21 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
What did I learn in my first fieldwork session? Don't fund baseball.
Sorry to hear about the bad fieldwork session, but you earn a real LOL with this one!