Old 04-19-2020, 09:56 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,600 Times in 2,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I'm not playing down anything, but saying that the USA has more cases than anyone is like saying Ohio has more cases than Rhode Island so Ohio must have done it wrong.
Per capita is the correct number. It's always about percentage.
Point taken. But for a country that has far fewer people than China or India, and what we like to think is better healthcare and perhaps even a more "sophisticated" population...for us to have more cases seems concerning.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-19-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,109 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to choose their beliefs based on wishes and convenience (as so many do) but there are sometimes valid reasons that some doubt scientific authorities. This is illustrated by my last encounter with epidemiology.

In 2005 my wife and I were working as gear sherpas for a couple of geologists in the Caribbean. Learning a lot from this experience, I became interested in the geology of one particular region back home, and studied it as a hobby for a few years. I recieved several research permits and grants to work in two caves owned by the State of Pennsylvania. Halfway through this project my permits were revoked due to the influence of USFWS policy that assumed, based on tons of science, that humans were spreading a deadly fungal disease between bat populations. But they weren't, and it was easy to see the science being bent into the desired conclusion. In fact, some of the very studies being used to prove human spread remain to this day the most powerful evidence against human spread. A lot of ignorant people took this bad science very seriously.

What has this little story got to do with the current situation? Not much. Only I didn't and don't fully understand the motives of those bat biologists, and I don't understand the motives of these current epidemiologists. I don't deny their conclusions, but I don't trust them. Any of them, at either extreme. Everyone has an angle. There is no mechanism in place to protect we the ignorant from those angles. Peer review sounds great but it's useless if we aren't peers of the scientists. Our trust of science is a religion most similar to Catholicism in the times of clerical peer-review and dispensation to the wholly ignorant masses.

Science has proved its power. It has yet to prove its wisdom.
My question isn't why someone disbelieves the scientific consensus. Or disbelieves all science, for that matter. That's another issue.

It is, if you disbelieve the scientific consensus but believe what one scientist from Bolivia claims---what is it about that one scientist in Bolivia that makes him credible, when the bulk of the community is not?

Assuming, of course, that you are not that scientist in Bolivia, yourself.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,126 Times in 958 Posts

I disbelieve the value of anything pathetic arm posts.

-shrug-

Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 27 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Thanks Jay Dub. We're doing our best to stay safe, keeping plenty of distance, no touching, no putting. We've all got loved ones we're concerned about and wouldn't want to be the guy that puts them in the hospital.

We've seen some idiots out there. Honestly though we've seen far more non-disc golfer idiots than. There are more of these people than disc golfers so that makes sense. We keep an extra wide berth of those groups.

I'm still way more concerned about the hour a week I'm forced to go into the grocery store than my round of disc golf. I have a very stressful job with long hours (working from home, no risk), a round a week has been the highlight of my week for a long time. I'm blessed to have throwing partners like Jay Dub who are good people and not idiots that I need to be worried about being around while this Covid stuff is going on.

Lucky. Lotsa just the flu Trump bros be frolfing it up around here.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,169 Times in 828 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock216 View Post
Lucky. Lotsa just the flu Trump bros be frolfing it up around here.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:40 PM
* Ace No More *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I disbelieve the value of anything pathetic arm posts.

-shrug-
Never seen him play, so I can't comment about his arm. But I've read his some of his posts, and I can't argue with his choice of adjectives.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 144
Niced 986 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Point taken. But for a country that has far fewer people than China or India, and what we like to think is better healthcare and perhaps even a more "sophisticated" population...for us to have more cases seems concerning.
I doubt very much that any numbers coming out of China are reported truthfully, much less accurately.

I DO however believe the numbers coming out of N Korea. No cases seems about right, I'm sure they "cure" a patient as soon as they suspect an infection.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2020, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,721 Times in 2,959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
I doubt very much that any numbers coming out of China are reported truthfully, much less accurately.

I DO however believe the numbers coming out of N Korea. No cases seems about right, I'm sure they "cure" a patient as soon as they suspect an infection.
I wonder how many people have "gone on vacation" since this started for clearing their throats in his presence?...

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2020, 11:46 PM
* Ace No More *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post

The numbers could be misleading for a variety of reasons. I believe the Chinese government might want to misteoresent the number of cases and deaths. But with testing being as limited as it is, I don't know that any country has a accurate handle on how many people actually developed Covid.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-20-2020, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,126 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Never seen him play, so I can't comment about his arm. But I've read his some of his posts, and I can't argue with his choice of adjectives.
I disbelieve the value of your observation of adjectives.