Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
One other idea I was toying with that I haven't implemented was to clear out conditions of 2-5 if they're over a month old. There doesn't seem to be much point in knowing what the course looked like a month ago. If a course has a condition of 1, that would stay since it could be a long term thing.
At the risk of restarting a conversation that ended long ago (though I don't see the discussion in this thread, flipping through quickly), this thread just crossed my radar.

I guess this change, quoted above, went in at some point? (At least a lot more courses than in the past seem to have no conditions info, sometimes even when I know they've _once_ had conditions info.)

Stale conditions info isn't _all_ that useful. But, it does give you some kind of a snapshot. One glimpse. Evidence that the course was in decent shape at a certain, dated, time in the past.

Maybe most of the time you'll get _something_ a review, or a round recorded, or some such. But, I wonder how often the last modified course information is the conditions. In that case, it seems a slight shame to lose it.

The condition info is already dated, so presumably people can choose to ignore it if they want. They already have to decide how seriously to take it (do I care if it was muddy a day ago? a week? three weeks?).

Anyway, idle chatter. No big consequence either way.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 119
Niced 95 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
Kudos to everyone for keeping course conditions updated. Great job out there folks!

IMHO, caution should be taken however in marking a course as 'Unplayable". That stays up until the next person goes there to update, and may keep road trippers away, even when things have gotten much better within even a matter of a few days. While we may feel like it's unplayable due to snow or mud, you have to remember the crazy, er, hardy folks out there who'll play in nearly any condition. If there are baskets, they're throwing.

Personally, I try to mark really rough conditions as 'Bad', and explain what's up. I try to save 'Unplayable' for a course with a locked gate or baskets pulled. The traveling DG player either can't, or shouldn't bother stopping by.
I can't say how much this bugs me. There was a course a few weeks back (don't remember where) that was marked unplayable. The person who updated it wrote (paraphrasing) "completely unplayable due to 8 inches of snow on the ground." I almost changed the course conditions to bad even though I hadn't played the course in a while.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 299
Niced 2,006 Times in 996 Posts

I can't believe we have to spell this out, but...

Unplayable should only be used when the course is closed. If the course is open, and the conditions totally suck, just pick "Bad" and explain what sucks at the time you played. If it's weather related, it's bound to be better in a relatively short time.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 265 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I can't believe we have to spell this out, but...

Unplayable should only be used when the course is closed. If the course is open, and the conditions totally suck, just pick "Bad" and explain what sucks at the time you played. If it's weather related, it's bound to be better in a relatively short time.
I somewhat hedge on this with regard to some instances. Take, for instance, Marana Rock's complete flooding. The original course *IS* unplayable, and will not be so really any time in the future (if ever). The perimeter course bears little to no resemblance of the original. I haven't market it as unplayable, but it's not worth a road trip to play.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
I somewhat hedge on this with regard to some instances. Take, for instance, Marana Rock's complete flooding. The original course *IS* unplayable, and will not be so really any time in the future (if ever). The perimeter course bears little to no resemblance of the original. I haven't market it as unplayable, but it's not worth a road trip to play.
On that one the perimeter course probably deserves a separate listing, like Dretzka park where there's a winter layout in the same park but it's a completely different layout.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 318
Niced 396 Times in 182 Posts

Sorry, I've got to restate it, but I'm developing a little feeling of frustration as folks are stating courses are 'unplayable'. Keep in mind, the 'unplayable' tag stays until another DGCR member updates it. Sometimes that can be months.

Wet weather produces temporary and regional flooding, but most of the time, at least on courses around here, we don't get submerged baskets. Sometimes, folks are listing a course as 'unplayable' when the two or three holes that are prone to flooding become a miserable mess.

Again, I wish folks would write something like this: Course conditions? Bad. "If you enjoy wearing waterproof footwear that goes to your knees, you might enjoy the course as it stands now...wet and muddy throughout, with standing water about 8 inches deep for most of the x and y fairways. If you don't think that sounds fun, you might want to go to course Z until this dries out a bit."

Personally, I never consider a course 'Unplayable' unless the Parks Dept has closed the gate, or you know there are no baskets up... just sayin'.

ps: agree with the above - a separate listing would be proper for that course. That's a special situation.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,090 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
update your course bump.
Ttt!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,090 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Update season is upon us... Things are drying out surprisingly well here in MN!

If you play a course, update the conditions' DO IT!
Bump.

Love showing up to courses with no baskets etc

Niced: (1)

Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 257
Niced 867 Times in 279 Posts

^^ this... although more for the "course is currently a giant mud pit" reasons.