Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Intro and Info from NC?

My last post I forgot to introduce myself so I thought I'd go ahead and do that:
50 year old male from Hickory, North Carolina, father of 2 (one 10 in 6th grade, one 20 Jr at college), 7th grade Math teacher (my 27th year), tennis player of 45 years, collector of tennis racquets (own about 125, 98 are up on my 'computer' room wall)

One question: what info do you put on the bottom of your disc? first name and cell phone? re-write the weight of disc in more permanent marker?

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's help so far....awesome boards you have here!!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts

Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Not necessarily on the bottom---but my full name and cell number.

Particularly at tournaments, if I lose a disc or leave it behind, someone seeing my name will likely identify me and be able to get it back to me, with as little effort as possible. I need to mark it, anyway; it's not much more effort to mark it this way.

Make & weight on some custom-stamped discs.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

.....as a finder of many discs (on a private course), a full name is a quick tip as to how I might get it back to the owner, without my doing any research, calls, etc.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,038 Posts

Hello from Greensboro (sort of).

Name and cell number on the inside rim, nice and neat so it looks clean for the dirt bag that finds it and neglects to call me.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

I've been playing about a year and a half. I used to put full name, cell, and city on the disc. What I found out was that of the 10 or so discs I lost, ONE came back to me. Ever.

Now i just put my initials on it.

I will rewrite the weight on a disc, if it's not legible. And if the stamp doesn't show make and flight numbers, I write those on as well.

Sorry, I somehow didn't see this thread before posting about discs for your starting bag. After seeing that you have many years playing tennis, you might be much more of a natural at this sport than I am, and might step into throwing faster discs with much great ease than I did. You might find that the fairway drivers are quite manageable for you very quickly, and might find yourself rolling the Buzzz SS into an anhyzer with ease.

Being an avid tennis player, you're probably not going to have the conditioning issues I had either. Sore elbow, sore shoulder, etc.

I'm curious to see how the skillsets match up. I sort of assume that minus Ultimate Frisbee, Tennis would be the next best sport to compare to Disc Golf.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Hello from Greensboro (sort of).

Name and cell number on the inside rim, nice and neat so it looks clean for the dirt bag that finds it and neglects to call me.
Hello!!!

I know this is a stupid question, but where exactly on the rim so that it's neat?

When I think of the rim I think of the curved outer (or inner in this case) portion of the disc, which seems like it would make it hard to write neatly and might come off after using the disc for a few months.

I thought players would write the info in the center of the bottom of the disc.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn LeFey View Post
I will rewrite the weight on a disc, if it's not legible. And if the stamp doesn't show make and flight numbers, I write those on as well.

After seeing that you have many years playing tennis, you might be much more of a natural at this sport than I am, and might step into throwing faster discs with much great ease than I did.

I'm curious to see how the skillsets match up. I sort of assume that minus Ultimate Frisbee, Tennis would be the next best sport to compare to Disc Golf.
As a newbie I was planning writing my name, cell number, weight again, and maybe even a p/m/f/d beside the weight just so I would know what their original purpose was (putter, midrange/fairway driver/distance driver).

I thought the tennis would carry over nicely as well, mainly because my backhand has always been my best shot in tennis. I was hoping the consistency might carry over but so far that hasn't been the case...I think it may be because in tennis I rely on my left hand to help bring the racquet through the contact point. When throwing a disc the left hand comes along but it's not helping the disc any.

I'll let you know how it goes!!!

TripleB
Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 119
Niced 95 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Hello!!!

I know this is a stupid question, but where exactly on the rim so that it's neat?

When I think of the rim I think of the curved outer (or inner in this case) portion of the disc, which seems like it would make it hard to write neatly and might come off after using the disc for a few months.

I thought players would write the info in the center of the bottom of the disc.

Thanks for the advice!

As a newbie I was planning writing my name, cell number, weight again, and maybe even a p/m/f/d beside the weight just so I would know what their original purpose was (putter, midrange/fairway driver/distance driver).

I thought the tennis would carry over nicely as well, mainly because my backhand has always been my best shot in tennis. I was hoping the consistency might carry over but so far that hasn't been the case...I think it may be because in tennis I rely on my left hand to help bring the racquet through the contact point. When throwing a disc the left hand comes along but it's not helping the disc any.

I'll let you know how it goes!!!

TripleB
Personally, I prefer the bottom center of the disc. Depending on the plastic and marker you're using, you can have issues with the name and number wearing off from the inside of the rim from gripping the disc over time.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 11
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts

What knettles said.

If you put it on the inside of the rim, handling the disc is more likely to wear off the info than if it's on the underside of the flight plate.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 8
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts
Default i'm dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
My last post I forgot to introduce myself so I thought I'd go ahead and do that:
50 year old male from Hickory, North Carolina, father of 2 (one 10 in 6th grade, one 20 Jr at college), 7th grade Math teacher (my 27th year), tennis player of 45 years, collector of tennis racquets (own about 125, 98 are up on my 'computer' room wall)

One question: what info do you put on the bottom of your disc? first name and cell phone? re-write the weight of disc in more permanent marker?

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's help so far....awesome boards you have here!!!!

TripleB
never thought to write in the weight