Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default Gearing up to dive into tournaments

Hello everyone! I've got some questions about getting into tournaments. I've never played in any PDGA sanctioned tourneys so that world is a bit foreign to me. My thoughts are that this year will be a time to work on my form and add discs to my bag that I need. The following year is when I'm thinking I may try some tourneys. However, I do have several questions.

1) What are the best parts about playing in tournaments? I don't want to be driven and focus on nothing but winning. In my experience, being driven takes away the fun in things so I would love to know what I have to look forward to.

2) What do you wish you knew before you started playing in tournaments? Is there anything you would've done to prepare differently?

My plan is to only play in B-tier and C-tier tourneys, since those seem to be more for amateurs like myself. I also want to stay fairly local, but I'm probably going to have to drive a little bit. If I can avoid spending the night somewhere, then I'm cool with that. Anyway, any advice you have would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,500 Times in 1,591 Posts

Have you played any local doubles or league/tag rounds? Just as a reference point...
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Have you played any local doubles or league/tag rounds? Just as a reference point...
No, I haven't. I'm very "green," you might say.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,528 Times in 671 Posts

1) The competition. By that I mean it sates my love to compete. i am not an upper tier player, so this means competing against myself and the course. But, I of course, want to win. I have met a ton of great people playing tournaments. It only take a few second of concentration to throw a shot, the rest of the time, on the course, is just a great walk in the woods with some new friends. So, really....very little of the time is spent on the game.

2) That tournaments are played at a very slow pace. I learned that a cart you can sit on is great. Great socks, great boots, great rain gear and good gear in general make playing in inclement weather much more enjoyable. Sunscreen and bug dope. Learn to putt.

Learn the rules and consider playing in some local leagues. They are a great introduction to tournament play. Remember, we play to have fun.....sometimes tournament players forget that, not many though.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 360
Niced 675 Times in 233 Posts

Getting adjusted to the pace of play and dealing with the formalities of rules and etiquette are the biggest challenges for new people trying out competitive play. This is why trying out a local league or mini would be a good training step before you jump into sanctioned tournaments.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,500 Times in 1,591 Posts

Yeah definitely play some local doubles as a first starter. The strategy is a bit different because you can either play safe for your partner, or if your partner is safe you can and should 100% run the next shot. But, it gets you used to the much slower pace of play and has a bit more stress. As well you have someone to talk to on your team to help you with rules. And it's less stressful/more fun than solo rounds a lot of the time.

Also try some solo league/tags/whatever style rounds as well to get used to the slower pace, and executing your shots.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 699 Times in 491 Posts

Yup local dubs.. Other than that and everything else people said...

1) don't plan on winning anything haha. Enjoy the company. Find people with similar skills and play against them as your pace car. You will see them often (Scotty and lefty Chad for me). I enjoy seeing everyone but don't completely enjoy paying and taking all day to play a couple rounds especially on a foreign course.

2). There's a few bits of etiquette to learn, not talking or moving while someone's putting. Don't "nice" shots no matter how ridiculous it seems that it can change it mid flight. Some people care too much.

Take a couple minis..

Focus on what was good in your round.. It's not a bad drive it's a chance for a great second shot.
Don't dream up shots, throw shots you can make.
There's nothing wrong with par, conservative is a good strategy.

Rounds are won by guys with more snacks, water and dry towels. You can ziplock some towels in your bag to keep em dry.
Birdie bags/ rosin if you are white and sweaty like me it can be an edge.

Drink lots of water before a round or morning of, lighten up on coffee. Eat properly before, don't take greasy snacks.

Don't overload your disc bag.. It's good to have backups but lightening the weight over 6 hours can help you. Don't take any discs you haven't thrown in last month unless they're for water hazards.
When you have a chance.. Sit down.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 102
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I played a dubs tourney first and here we're my take aways. PS I knew the tourney director and helped with course maintenance and it was at Idlewild(tough course for rec/novice players) you have

1). We had no fun the first round. We we're so hyped up and got paired with people who were really competitive that it wasn't the learning experience we hoped for. We didn't give up and the second round we got paired up with a group of super nice people who even lent my partner a bag. We we're some what of chuckers at the time - my partner still is. The best part of that tourney was the learning experience. Now I would say the competitiveness and the hard work

2). The frist group penalized us and didn't explain why which made it worse (found out that's against the rules) so please get to know the basic rules before going to a tourney. Foot position, marking your lye and water rules if they apply

Side notes I would listen to the guys above. Snacks and water are key but make sure you use them. I find myself not thinking about eating/drinking but when I do eat and drink I seem to play better. Weight of bag is important because you don't want to wear yourself out. Remove as much as possible and remember you'll be tired the second round so eliminate more during lunch. I've even changed to lighter weight shoes. Keeping dry is a must and you might want to think about a seat.

My biggest challenge with tourney's now is pace of play. A course where me and a group of 4 friends play can take 2 and 1/2 hours. Tourney it turns to almost 5 hours

Good luck and have fun
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,033 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBackhand View Post
1) What are the best parts about playing in tournaments? I don't want to be driven and focus on nothing but winning. In my experience, being driven takes away the fun in things so I would love to know what I have to look forward to.
People who love tournaments, love them for all sorts of reasons. Competition, comradery, stuff they are given or win, a full day or weekend of disc golf, etc. Thank goodness; we need them all to stock our events. You'll have to figure out what you enjoy (or don't).

For myself, meeting and playing with new people, people I might never get to play with otherwise, is high on the list. After a while it becomes a reunion, seeing people from other towns whom I now know, but only see at tournaments.

But high on the list is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
1) The competition. By that I mean it sates my love to compete. i am not an upper tier player, so this means competing against myself and the course.
Competition isn't just about winning, it's about the effort to win. In the end, you might beat everybody (and be the winner), but you'll likely beat some people. Competing is what matters.

If you've played other sports, it's like the difference between scrimmages and real games. Sure, you try hard and make all the same moves in scrimmages, intra-squad or against other teams. But it's different when the real games begin, and every play matters.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 4
Niced 273 Times in 135 Posts

https://youtu.be/CoCbzD6Vb20

Niced: (1)