Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 1340
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 550 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey B.O.B. View Post
OK, one more time. Yes, he can throw a putter 500 feet but he can throw a high-speed driver over 850 feet. Do you see the difference there?

chuckles ;-)
850? bring him to the desert during a 80mph wind distance comp, and toss a 120 putter up there... ****, he might even beat the current distance record overall... they might find it a couple states over with the dust storm settling..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
I remember when the orc, beast and such came out a lot of people were like “WHOA, this is getting out of hand“.
Yeah it was more when the Destroyer came out and the Surge that this disc war was getting out of hand. I thought that PDGA would stop it and call that no more then a Destroyer width would be the limit but it is a few more millimeters then that for discs Rim width, the Aerobie Epic helped make that happen for discs made after that mold.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 64 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
I remember when the orc, beast and such came out a lot of people were like “WHOA, this is getting out of hand“.
No they didn't lol, unless a lot of people is dunipace who led the revolution.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Why is it too late? This sport is still in relative infancy. People are still debating the design of targets, rules and par. I don’t think it would hurt the market in any significant way as long as you provide ample advance notice. Speed eight, or whatever is set, would just become the new norm. The collectors would eat it up.

We may be beginning to see the limits of distance under the current regulations but you have to leave room for innovation yet unseen. I am confident that, at the least, there will be a significant improvement in consistency of flight and speed sensitivity.

I have no interest in getting political but you could compare this conversation to the argument that, when they wrote the second amendment they were thinking about muskets not missiles. Yes, this is different but right or wrong, they simply didn’t understand where it might go. If it isn’t written in stone should we act as if it is?
I'm going to disagree with you on two points for the same reason. I'm guessing flying disc designers have innovated about all that can be innovated in terms of physics and aerodynamics. They can only tinker here and there with materials and manufacturing processes but the basic principles are established. It's the same as firearms. The Founders absolutely understood where the 2A would go, they had already seen tremendous firearms innovation in their lives already. Guns had been around 100s of years before them and again, the basic principles were established. It's just ballistics. Gunpowder sends projectile down a barrel. The guns we have today aren't technologically all that amazing compared to 1800s. It's just tinkering to increase accuracy and rate of fire. The Founders (Enlightenment thinkers, some of them scientists and inventors) would have to be absolute morons to not expect guns to become more accurate and improved fire rate. They already had breech-loaders, repeaters, and guns that carried multiple rounds at the time of 2A's writing, it's just that the commoners carried muzzleloaders b/c of affordability and production. Commoners also had pistols, shotguns, grenade launchers, swivel guns and cannons. If the 2A was interpreted the way the Founders intended, we'd still be allowed grenade launchers as well as private warships. Private warship > AR-15.

Here's an example of firearm tech they've had since the 1300s:

Again, it's just basic ballistics. Send multiple projectiles as far and as accurately as you can via cartridge and mechanical action tinkering. With discs, there's much less room for innovation due to a lack of moving parts.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 239
Niced 1,530 Times in 673 Posts

I think the OP is trying to fix something that is not broken. But, there are plenty of courses to test and accommodate the big arms of the pro tour. With the struggles of golf courses, we have seen the progression to disc golf tournaments to this kind of venue. Perfect solution, IMO. Boring to watch, I can't image much fun to play. Of course, I can't imagine throwing that far.

Oddly many argue for the inclusion of "better baskets", that would be counter productive to the issue the OP is prompting discussion of. Essentially decreasing the difficulty, for the putting style of most pros.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 349 Times in 193 Posts

perfect world unspoiled world i agree with teebird being the limit. my play would be just as fun for sure.

as it is, the big rims are bigger than many hands can really handle making entire categories of equipment not as accessible.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Resident Grouch

Courses Played: 360
Niced 675 Times in 233 Posts

Fastest thing in my bag is a PD. My distance sucks and even I don't want to take away existing wide rim drivers. It would be an enforcement nightmare at tournaments.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Resident Grouch

Just checked the PDGA approved discs PDF file. Innova alone has 28 discs with at least a rim thickness of 2.0cm. That would mean losing a lot of their drivers if you set a 1.9cm limit. If you set it at Teebird thickness (1.7cm), the number of banned molds grows to like 40.

So yeah, not going to happen.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 AM
Resident Grouch

Quote:
I used to see the fact that disc golf required far less pristine land as a great selling point for communities and property owners. Let alone the minimal environmental impact and the ease of play without motorized carts.

Today we are starting to clear trees for 1000’+ fairways on which we want well manicured grass that may require pesticides and erosion control. Is this where we want our sport to go? Is it better to play amongst the trees in a more natural setting? Is the possibility of throwing a 700’ roller that important to us?
Where exactly is this happening? I mean, can you cite an example? Otherwise it just comes off as a textbook ideological rant about a problem that doesn't exist to promote said ideology.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Just checked the PDGA approved discs PDF file. Innova alone has 28 discs with at least a rim thickness of 2.0cm. That would mean losing a lot of their drivers if you set a 1.9cm limit. If you set it at Teebird thickness (1.7cm), the number of banned molds grows to like 40.

So yeah, not going to happen.
Not to mention the fact that a hundred thousand disc golfers own a million of those discs already, and aren't clamoring to be forced to shelve them.